Mel Gets Kudos From DUI Judge

5/11/2007 1:36 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel GibsonTMZ was in court today as a judge gave Mel Gibson an A for effort in his road to rehabilitation after his arrest for DUI July of last year.

Mel, who was not present in the Malibu, Calif. court, got major kudos from the judge who told Mel's attorney "I truly believe the rehabilitation in this case is being very effective." The judge added that he would eventually like to see Mel, but at this point "it's counterproductive to have him in the courtroom."

Gibson's attorney Blair Berk filed paperwork with the court this morning indicating he is meeting all the terms of his probation. She told the judge "He's doing extremely well."

Mel's next court date is August 23.

yahpete

Mad Max is still the man! :)

lisa

I LOVE Mel's movies and his acting and more importantly u can honestly tell he is a smart caring person who made a mistake. Not to mention one of the most handsome men on screen both young and old. Hang in there !!!!!!!!! lisa

sharon

After being married to an alcoholic for 28 years (the booze killed him). He got severely depressed after getting 2 dui in one day, after just coming out of 2 stints in 2 different rehabs--(30 days each).
He was told he was going to loose his job if he didn't straighten up and he knew he was most likely headed for jail.
So, he just didn't go to work. I was making $500 a month, which had to pay all the bills. I was out of town (my mother had a stroke and was in intensive care) when his brother & sister came over to check on him and found him dead.
For almost a year after he passed I was finding hidden bottles in the yard, in the barn, in the attic, stuffed in all weird places - even in the bushes outside.

MEL, I BEG OF YOU TO PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, TAKE ONE MINUTE AT A TIME, DO NOT TAKE THE FIRST DRINK, AND MOST OF ALL
KNOW YOU ARE LOVED

SloppyTuna

Who cares !!!!!!!!

Oh My Gosh I BET U R FAT !

God bless him (and the savage Mayans too) !

me

Good for you Mel. Way to bounce back.

Diana

I just love this man mostly because he loves God and family. Perhaps a David? You can feel his deeply sensitive side and debth... missing in most of the actors, etc. Sooo, he is lonely in a world of non-thinkers. I like his crazy side... you need it in life. He got a bad rap about his Jewish comments.... as if you understand what he was thinking, he was right about the wars that have begun because of God's most chosen people. I was having a tough time with the war in Lebanon for that reason. But, it takes spiritual eyes to see and most did not. I wish there was a church here like the one he has in California! Good rehab Mel. Hope you keep your head above the Hollywood expectations and hype. Stay happy... ..and know that some of us get it.

A

Love his work and looking forward to seeing his next movie!

Matt

I am now the self proclaimed editor of this site. Don’t worry about paying me. There is no need for that. Thank you and I’ll keep correcting. I keep seeing a lot of mistakes, so STEP IT UP because I’m in charge now.

Recommended change: The judge added he would like to see Mel, but at this point "it's counterproductive to have him in the courtroom."

Whatareyoudoing?

Come on. This bastard is an anti-semitic racist. Rehab means he won't drink until he's not monitored. Racist means he hates Jewish people because his "religion" tells him too?
Come on, now. I'd rather be a drunk.

SECURITY NY

why is it counter-productive to have him in the courtroom - is it a reference to the media and fans?

PUBLIC SAFETY IS AT STAKE

Has he been to AA yet?

char

KEEP COMING BACK..
REMEMBER THAT A DEEP AND EFFECTIVE SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE IS WHAT WORKS FOR US!

what

I applaud this brillant man for his talent and imagination. His films are spectacular and truthful. His efforts to over come his addictions to alcohol are inspiring. One of todays Famous people that is famous because he has done great inspiring films, not at all like the Brittiny, Paris and Anna Nicoles of public media. You go Mel. By the way Paris belongs in JAIL.

Petite

Paris should take a lesson from Mel on HOW TO DO PROBATION CORRECTLY!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments