BET Awards

The White Elephant

in the Room

6/14/2007 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hang on tight -- its about to get racial up in here. TMZ has learned that 2007 could be the first year that a white musician wins a Black Entertainment Television Award ... besides Michael Jackson.

0614_robin_thicke_bet_fm-1
Platinum-selling superstar Robin Thicke has been nominated for two BET Awards: Best Male R&B Artist, and his song "Lost Without You" is up for a Viewer's Choice Award. Only two other white artists have ever even been nominated for a BET Award -- Justin Timberlake and Eminem -- but neither of them took home the prize. Could Robin break down the BET color barrier?!

The competition is thick; Thicke is up against Akon, John Legend, Gerald Levert, and Ne-Yo for Best Male, and competing with Beyonce, Birdman & Lil' Wayne, Bow Wow featuring Chris Brown, Ciara and UNK for the Viewer's Choice.

The BET Awards will be live from The Shrine in Los Angeles, Tuesday, June 26.

calilife4me

UMMM....

THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK COUNTRY ARTIST, IT'S A SOUTHERN THING, THEY JUST AREN'T RECOGNIZED.

WHAT'S FUNNY IS.....

I SEE 40+ YR OLD WHITE SOCCER MOMS DRIVING AROUND IN BLINGED OUT GMC DENALIS' ON 22" RIMS! HMMM....BLACKS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES WATCHING BET!

get a life

#45 YES, FEBRUARY THE SMALLEST MONTH OF THE YEAR IS BLACK HISTORY MONTH BUT WE ALSO SHARE IS WITH CHINESE NEW YEARS SO READ YOUR HISTORY. THEY PROMOTE CHINIESE NEW YEARS MORE SO THAN BLACK HISTORY. **YOU FIGURE**

NOT a fan of TMZ

African American? Unless you're FROM Afria - Kiss my ass!

I was BORN in American... so TECHNICALLY I am a NATIVE American... Where's my casino and land damn it!!

AND - my great-great-great grandfather was in Sherman's March! He HELPED FREE black Americans! Racism does NOT run in my family!!

JOEL

I like Robin Thicke I hope he wins...

2 be true

Go rockin Robin!

I dated Robin a while ago before his marriage. He's a great guy and the sweetest! He sings from the soul and that's what BET is about, sangin' from the soul!

Good luck and congrats on your nomination. Justin Timberfake is not singin' from the soul. He's not real.

come on

oh god, here we go with black history month.........that has to be the most racist thing that exists. And people always say "well everyday is white history" and i beg to differ. I for one and not tooting around all day celebrating white history everyday, is anyone else????

Caribbean Goddess

Robin Thicke has a beautiful voice. Numerous people thought that he was black over the radio but when they saw the videos, they were shocked. His video ambushed me also. He deserves to win the B.E.T. award because he may be white yet he indeed has soul.

NOT a fan of TMZ

#49 - I need NO lesson in History... and where I'M from, Chinese New Year is completely ignored. But we are smuthered in facts about famous, sucessful black Americans.

So - it's the shortest month of the year!! ~and~ ??? You still didn't answer my other inquires... Irish? Italian? Jewish? How come each month I am not smothered in little facts and tid-bits about what THESE cultrures have contributed to the America we all share?

daizylibra

wow.....i cant believe all the rude comments on here.
and the fact that its such a HUGE deal is a shocker to me...lol.
its the year 2007, why is race still a big issue.
grow up and get over it.

2 be true

SHAY FOR PRESIDENT!

K

I hope he wins. I'd rather see him win over Justin or Em any day of the week!

NOT a fan of TMZ

MTV began...

WHEN?!

They don't/barely even play VIDEOS anymore!! Hullo!!

Where talking about N-O-W... BET is STILL promoting racism! I'm not saying the networks or award shows have been fair... but BET seems to CELEBRATE the fact they are racists!

SUPER-ficial

Robert Thicke deserves to win this award - that album is off the hook - just like Justin Timberlake's album should have been R& B. Music doesn't have "color" associated with sound . . it's just good music ! . . He's the Bobby Caldwell of this millenium !

jogger

I think it would be funny if he wins. Blacks have won awards on other shows that are predomintely white (according the Revs>) It is about time a white person wins on a black chow. How about a white Miss Black USA or America?

SUPER-ficial

Whatever . . . calm down . . . but I did just laugh REALLY LOUD!