Wrestling Superstar Found Dead

6/25/2007 7:51 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE superstar Chris Benoit, 40, his wife Nancy and young son were found dead in their Atlanta home early this afternoon, this according to WWE.com.

No further details regarding the tragedy have been released. Benoit was scheduled to appear at a pay-per-view event last night ... WWE said that there was a "family emergency" that prevented him from being there.

Benoit, a former World Heavyweight Champ, wreaked havoc with his signature move, the "Crippler Crossface."

The incident comes on the heels of the shocking death of former WWE wrestler "Sensational" Sherri Martel, and the supposed "assassination" of WWE head honcho Vince McMahon. TMZ has learned that the WWE is scrapping all references to the McMahon death storyline on tonight's episode of "Raw.'

According to the official WWE website, tonight's "Raw" will serve as a tribute to the wrestling great.

Police are investigating the incident.

UPDATE: ABC News is reporting that the deaths are being investigated as a possible suicide and double homicide.

Shawn

I've been a Chris Benoit fan for as long as I can remember. I've met him several times and he was always humble and polite and very nice. I'm sticking by him thorugh this and I think Nancy killed Daniel and in a fit of rage, Chris killed Nancy...then himself. No matter how we look at it...this is a sad and tragic story. My thoughts and prayers are with both their families and all their fans.

tnavaldez

if it was a suicide/murder that is the most selfish sickening thing to ever be done. if you don't want to live anymore and can't work out your own demons, why would you take your wife and child down with you into your misery? that is disgusting and i am appaled

steve

rip
benoit the 805 loves u

Cecilia

This is the most horrible thing to happen to the wrestling world since Eddie Guerrero was found dead, not to mention when Miss Elizabeth was murdered by Lex Luger.
Being a fan of wrestling since I was a kid, this hits hard with all wrestling fans. You people should be ashamed of yourselves insulting the memory of a man that worked his ass off to entertain his fans and the world. You may have your theories but one thing is for sure, he WAS a human being and should be treated with respect for what he did for the wrestling business. Knowing how they all were a big family working together for close to 300 days a year, public personas seem to get lost for the "entertainment value" of wrestling. He was just an ordinary person with problems, just with an extraordinary job.
Yes, they are investigating it as a murder-suicide, but until there are more details, I wouldnt jump the gun. He has not been known to be a steriod user, so shove that theory where the sun don't shine.
RIP Chris, Nancy and Daniel Benoit. My heart goes out to the family.
Forever a fan of the Crippler!!!!!! He now wrestles in heaven's ring with Eddie!!!

GO COLTS

I realize that there are ignorant people out there, but
all them who are posting are not worth even mentioning. They are getting off on everyone telling them what an asshole they are being.

There is something really wrong with them. They are disturbed and need to make a joke out of a tragedy to make themselves feel good.

Let's just go on and post without acknowledging them.

Those of us with a brain and compassion, know that no matter what happened, it is a sad story. 3 people are now gone, and until the results come, people will speculate. For the time being, let's just try to remember Benoit and his family and pray for their extended family.

LionDen

No matter what has occured in Chris Benoits personal life, Benoit was a huge influence to many in our wrestling enjoyment and I personally was a huge Benoit fan. I will truly miss him as IMO he was one of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time. He didn't need gimmicks, he just got the job done and was entertaining in all his matches. He showed that wrestling is not all about gimmicks but if you can wrestle, you can put on just as good a show. Wrestling fans everywhere are trying to separate the personal life to the life he gave so much for our enjoyment and this is how I shall remember the Crippler and forever enjoy the entertainment he has given me.

R.I.P Chris, Nancy and Daniel

maymae

I have been a huge fan of Benoit's for many years. I will miss him very much. So will millions of other fans.
Last night was the first time I have ever cried over the death of a celebrity.
I am very disturbed by the cause of deaths.
However, I am very disappointed in the media coverage of this news.
WWE wrestling may have had a different genre of fans. But they had millions of fans worldwide.
I am more intrested in hearing about Benoit's case than Paris getting out of friggin' jail!
I would like for the media to realize that WWE Wrestlers do hold International Celebrity status believe it or not. And the coverage of this should be almost equal to any celebrity death. Especially as "bizarre" as this has been described.
My sympathies and condolences go out to his family, friends, and children.

LMAO @ you a$$hats

Anyone who thinks this guy wasn't jacked up on roids is a complete retard. And if the initial reports are true, he murdered his family and then offed himself. YEAH HE'S MY HERO! NOT!

I feel sorry for the wife and kid, not this assclown.

phil

As much as i loved benoit as a worker/wrestler, it is all cancelled out if he killed his wife and SEVEN year old son. no excuse. Sorry to wwe for unknowingly doing a 3 hour tribute to a murderer.

BigG5000

542. Eddie Owen Benoit Posted at 6:38AM on Jun 26th 2007 by
A-HOLE GETS THREE HOUR TRIBUTE --- LOVELY.

What the hell is wrong with you Eddie Owen Benoit, the WWE did a tribute to him before they found out that he was the one that killed his family, i'm sure. And everyone knows that O.J. did it, anyone that thinks he didn't is dumb, blind, deaf, ignorant, and retarded. And Scott Petterson's dumb ass killed his wife too. Hopefully your trying to be sarcastic and not just a dumbass.

gaea08

Seriously, people are feeling sorry for this guy still. The death is being investigated as a murder suicide. Police are saying that it is believed he killed his wife and son over the week-end before killing himself on Monday. I'm sorry, but this guy deserves to rot in hell. He killed two people, one of which was just a little four year old boy. What can a child do that would make him deserve this. It's sick. Theres no other word for it then sick.

MAGGIE

At least OJ left the kids alive.

tightwad

Cecilia,You mentioned Miss Elizabeth and Eddie Guerrero,but you left out Sensational Sherry,who was found dead and as far as I know,she did not kill herself or anyone else.It is being reported that Chris Benoit did kill his family and himself.But he gets a tribute,and Sherry got nothing.I fail to understand why,but thats just me

gaea08

Was the little boy seven or four? I heard four, but seven sound right.

Glisten Garbor

Did he kill them or did the wife kill them? If he killed them why is he getting a tribute? Shouldn't the wrestling world of morons wait for forensics to come back before they gush all over a potential child murderer?

Previous 15 Comments | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments