Benoit Murder Details Revealed

6/26/2007 12:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chris BenoitTMZ has learned more about the deaths of WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit, his wife and son -- and the information is extremely disturbing.

Several Atlanta-based law enforcement sources have told TMZ Benoit may have strangled his wife on Saturday, then smothered his son in his bed a day later. Investigators refuse to officially comment, pending final confirmation by the coroner on the cause and time of the deaths.

One source told TMZ that Benoit was texting friends during Sunday's WWE "Vengeance" Pay-Per-View program -- possibly watching the show with his son, who may have been alive at the time.

According to sources, Benoit then hanged himself Monday in a weight room inside the family home.

A police investigation is ongoing.

marcus15001

certainly a very sad and tragic story. also a sad commentary on the WWE. i was a fan but no longer. you should have waited before grabbing the limelight in the pursuit of the all mighty dollar. shame on you!!

RichBoveeDammit

Quit slagging the man. He murdered people. So what. Look at who YOU elected president and try to blame someone else for being a murderer.

RIP Chris and family

RichBoveeDammit

If suicide were the "cowards' way out" every single one of you would be doing it.

Nanger

I don't know what to think of Chris Benoit, but this is so hard to get it all in. I watch benoit on TV and he is always ready and prepared for the match and always profesional. I'm soo sad and confused, but god bless their souls espacially the son Daniel. I blame the steroid for this and i hope anyone who uses steroid should think twice about it. This realy makes you think how precious life is, and how quick it could all end.

RichBoveeDammit

You pieces of crap are so quick to judge someone. You have no idea what happened and you never will. All you know is what the news had revealed, and that's all you're going to know. You have no right to judge him. Show the man's family some respect. She loved her husband and the kid loved his dad, and who are any of you to say any different? Purgatory is deep? How would you know that? You might as well damn him to Burger King. You're all a bunch of mythology worshipping well-wishers looking for someone to slag. YOU'RE the ones with the forked tongue, here. That makes you no better than a murderer. Oh, and if suicide is the cowards' way out, then why do none of the idiots out there have the guts to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger? Suicide takes guts. It isn't a cowards' way out. If it were, everybody would be doing it because the people that judge others and hide behind their childish notions of hell and the bible are the REAL cowards.

RIP Chris and family

vivalajesse

I think you guys are going to far with telling him to rest in hell he was still a great wrestler im not saying he doesnt deserve to go to hell but you dont have to be so disrespectful!!!

Dragon76

Tragic loss of three lives, we do not "know" celeb's other than the character they portray. I admired the 'rabid wolverine' when he was in the ring, but i do not think that this meant I knew him as a person. Domestice violence is rife in all countries, husbands kill wives, and we as members of the public hear nothing about it, the only difference here is that Chris Benoit was famous and so there is a public outcry.....I find the whole situation heartbreaking, and wonder in a sick sad way how his son Daniel's last hours were spent. From all accounts, Chris killed himself on the Monday and I am sure that in between the killing of his wife and child he was a tormented soul - but I have no sympathy for the man, regardless of circumstance what he CHOSE to do was so wrong.
I sincerely hope there is a wonderfull childrens heaven for his young son where he is surrounded by love

Nanger

This is a nightmare to all wrestling fans out there. When i first heard the tragedy i was so angry and sad, i wanted to know who has done this. Well.... now i know, and i'm still shocked. I don't know if i should hate him or feel a sense of remores for him. Its all over now and god bless their souls,CHRIS, NANCY,and espacially the son DANIEL, he didn't deserve that.
Well.....There's one thing i blame and that's STEROID that caused CHRIS BENOIT to ROID RAGE.

errol

I am 55 and have been a wrestling fan since I was about 10 years old. I watched the RAW show last night and was really touched. However, according to all the news that I've read since the news came out, the WWE officials knew the circumstances of the death and still did a tribute to him. Totally disgusting and absolutely ridiculous. While I understand his wrestling buddies personal loss, I for the life of me can not understand paying public tribute to a child killer. I liked Benoit as a wrestler and usually pulled for him to win. But had I been a personal friend and I knew what apparently the WWE officials knew at airtime I certainly would not have paid positive tribute to a person clearly had murdered his wife and son. That is plain sick and stupid. Those dumb asses should have just ran the show that was scheduled and made mention of the deaths. Obviously, ANYTHING that he ever did that was good is and should be eclipsed by his actions (killings) toward his family.

cammie

So many negative things here. 1.) We do not know what kind of life was had, regardless of the public face put on, or what the press tells us. It is not for me to judge Chris for his final actions. I am deeply saddened. 2.) I do not consider the three hour event on Raw as wasted time. I was able to relive many memories, but for the loss of the Benoit family (including Chris Benoit) it was an enjoyable show. 3.) I believe that people can and DO "just snap". I don't care about the history of any given person. Snapping happens, and no matter their social, financial or any other standing, when one snaps, it is often toward something unexpected. Everyone who spoke on Raw Monday June 25th had only very good things to say about Chris Benoit. Clearly, at the time this happened, Chris was not himself. 4.) And finally, be it much to the dismay of many out there I am sure, I am of the firm belief that this final act on Benoit's part does not diminish all the good he had done prior to this.

Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit, I hope all rest in peace, no matter what the future findings are.

paula

Maybe we (all wrestling fans and the media) are to be blamed. We put so much responsibility and limelight on celebrities that sometimes they collapse under pressure. I believe that to some extent that was the cause of Benoit's meltdown. There is always a reason why something happens.

For all we know, he could have accidentally killed his wife and he was probably emotionally unstable and decided that he would kill his son and then take his life. Just imagine if he didn't kill his son and he was sentenced to jail...who would take care of that poor little thing. Either way his life was doomed. I am not saying that what Benoit did was good but we need to get all the facts straight before we start pointing fingers on him.

punkmommy

TO #69- Brian

I totally agree with you on everything that you said. There have been several different stories circulating today about this tragedy. Some say he killed them both; other stories I have read said he came home to find out she had killed their son, & then he killed her.

Until we get a definite answer, it's all speculation.

Michael Reynolds

I was watching WWE last night for the upcoming demise of Mr. McMahons death, but was shockened by the death of Chris Benoit & his family. At first i thought, oh my god could it be from an home invasion, carbon monoxide? I was saddened by their deaths until i finally found out he has committed a hideous act of monstrous murder to his wife and to his poor little boy. I will no longer continue to grieve over Chris Benoits death but pray for his wife & son.

Sadly,

Michael Reynolds
Oakhurst, California

Harley Gator

I really love articles like this piece of crap. "several Law enforcement sources" , means what to me. Security guards, prison guards, m.p.s are law enforcement but are not police. I can get a cleaning lady who works for the cops to say something and just because she works there does not mean she is law enforcement. Print the names if you got the guts, oh that's right the right to keep sources secret is for the gutless. The source that said he was texting friends.... What was he with him at the time or is he going by what the phone shows. If he is going by the phone who is to say that someone didn't do it after the murders. Possibly, may have, could be, etc. are all used by people who don't know **** but think they know it all. To me those words bring up a few other words "a shadow of a doubt". all the wanna be cops and lawyers out there need to brush up on the law.

Jessie

Right on errol. I haven't watched wrestling since I was in jr high, and had no idea who this man was until TMZ's posting, but I agree with everything you wrote.