Benoit's History of Domestic Violence Exposed

6/26/2007 2:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Before her grisly death, Chris Benoit's wife once told a judge that she was, "intimidated by threats of violence" from her 220 lb. husband.

In divorce papers filed in 2003, Nancy Benoit included a petition for protection from domestic abuse against Chris. In the papers, Nancy claimed that Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture." Nancy added that she was, "in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

Three months later, Nancy filed to have the divorce papers and the restraining order dismissed. A short time later, a judge granted her wish.

As TMZ first reported, law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and then hanged himself on Monday.

Jessie

CAUSE, not call.

Da_ninja

Why is it every time something involving a wrestler that the blame go's straight to steroids??Was O.J. on steroids when he killed 2 people he was named the Juice????Oh wait he was innocent I forgot.
WWE has had a wellness policy in place for over 2 years now that test for steroid use many wrestlers have been suspended for said offense but Benoit was never one of them.

jeffhardygirl24_7

has anyone ever thought that maybe nancy killed her son and nancy called chris cuz of an emergancy and chris killed nancy cuz he loved his son more then anything? then because the people he loved the most were gone he just killed himself

dw

I never got into wresteling much, but I seem to recall a guy, I think he was called 'Jake The Snake' , could be wrong about the name, anyway, he went public about his steroid use and the brain damage caused by steriods...I think he died shortly after..this may have been over ten years ago...anybody familiar with that ?

My heart goes out to the families

Jessie

#146, I remember Lyle Alzedo (sp?) getting brain cancer from steroids and talking about it. That dates me, I am sure. He was a former NFL player and released workout vidoes.

knucklehead

Calm down #133...this will all blow over in a few months and you can enjoy your comic book "sport."

El Duce

Just my two cents, but it seems to me that a lot of people are jumping to conclusions. This is due in no small part to the journalism regarding the tragedy thus far, which is speculative in the absolute best scenario, and downright irresponsible in most. I'm a longtime fan of Chris Benoit (one of two wrestling DVDs I own, and the only reason to tune in for WWE programming), but he killed his wife and son, there's no sane person that can defend that.

A lot of people mentioning steroids seem to be following an irresponsible media's lead, equating drug use with a "sport" (for lack of a better term) generally considered low-brow entertainment. My guess is that the majority of these critics are unfamiliar with the current state of professional wrestling. It's not my intention to defend professional wrestling, but there are FACTS that should be taken into consideration:

1. If you want to talk about "long-time steroid abuse", I suggest you compare the physiques of Chris Benoit and Chris Masters. Still think Benoit was on the juice?

2. Vince McMahon, love him or hate him, as implemented a "wellness policy" in the WWE, and the company has stuck to it. The aforementioned Chris Masters tested positive for steroids and was promptly suspended (and buried in lower-card matches...after initially being groomed for a main-event push). Randy Orton was suspended for testing positive as well. Rob Van Dam held two titles simultaneously, got arrested with marijuana, and was promptly stripped of his titles and suspended. Benoit, on the other hand, has never LOOKED like he was on steroids, nor has he tested positive.

3. Chris Benoit supported his best friend, Eddie Guerrero, throughout Eddie's terrible battle with addiction. Would a recovered Eddie Guerrero travel with a doped-up Benoit? Highly doubtful.

Andrea

I will be interested in hearing about the autopsy reports. I bet they find steroids in his system. The steroids must have made him crazy and kill his family! His wife should have went through with the divorce while she had the chance. I hope that he burns in hell for what he did to his family!

John

This guy went out of this life as a loser. He doesn't deserve any recognition after he murdered his family and ruined the lives of many many living family members and those who really tried to be his friend. Good-bye LOSER.

Jessie

lilbit, no problem. Perhaps they don't censor them if they are anatomically correct words? Who knows. Although the F word doesn't get censored. Hmm.

Also, I loved Roseanne. Not sure why that is a bad thing.

everestrella

I think this is so shocking.Im just so sad and confused over all this.I just hope Chris,Nancy and Daniel can rest in peace after all this craziness.

susan

Do you guys ever think that maybe this is all a set up and maybe everything went so wrong that they made chris hang himself after?... maybe he was abusive in the past, but i've read that this drama all happened like on 2003... I mean.. He received a text on sat at 4am?? from who? and what did it say?..

knucklehead

TMZ is screwing around......bye!

facts

After reading all of these comments, some so rediculous to even comment on, I have to say that bottom line NO ONE deserves to be killed in cold blood. Period! Especially not a child who hasn't even lived one decade! Secondly, the media wouldn't be releasing the information that HE killed his wife and son if there is not any supporting evidence. They haven't said that it is suspected, they have said that he did. So with the facts, in my opinion, he was not and never will be a role model that I would want my kids to look up to. Bottom line.

Angie

Hey Jeff hardy girl, I can see that you're passionate about this but he was texting his friends while he was watching tv with his son AFTER he had already killed his wife. I believe the medical examiner has already listed the time of deaths and everything so they've established when he killed everyone, including himself. So your theory doesn't work. He killed his wife. Texted his buddies while watching tv with his kid, then killed his kid. Then killed himself. Why, who knows. Strange, but apparently true. Don't try to understand it because it just really doesn't make sense to a normal and sane person.