Benoit's History of Domestic Violence Exposed

6/26/2007 2:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Before her grisly death, Chris Benoit's wife once told a judge that she was, "intimidated by threats of violence" from her 220 lb. husband.

In divorce papers filed in 2003, Nancy Benoit included a petition for protection from domestic abuse against Chris. In the papers, Nancy claimed that Benoit, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture." Nancy added that she was, "in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

Three months later, Nancy filed to have the divorce papers and the restraining order dismissed. A short time later, a judge granted her wish.

As TMZ first reported, law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe Benoit strangled his wife on Saturday, smothered his son on Sunday and then hanged himself on Monday.

NL

Sorry, but has anyone heard of innocent till proven guilty? I'm not that big of a Wrestling fan, but I don't think it's fair to pass judgment until we know all of the facts, which we may never know what truely happened or why it happened.

As for saying WWE should be ashamed of themselves for the 3 hr show. They didn't know he possably murdered them. Alls they knew was someone they knew who was a friend to many of them along with his wife and child were gone. Which can take a toll on anyone. I don't think they were trying to get rateings or they ment to insult anyone...they didn't know. And they did appologize for it.

All the bickering on here is just not needed. Everyone has a right to their oppinion even if you don't agree with it. To those who posted about their own abusive relationships...way to go. It takes a lot to get away from it and most people are not as lucky.

R.I.P. Nancy, Daniel and yes even Chris

crymeariver

He could have had fragile X syndrome or something because of the temper not roids.

Tom

Why do we idolize athletes as heroes? It is one thing to respect them for their achievements but I think I will reserve heros status for people to put their lives on the line to protect or rescue others with no thought for their own safety, comfort, or for celebrity status.

As to who raises people who go off the deep end and end up killing their families, I do not think anyone on this blog are qualified to express any real rational opinion on that, and neither am I.

rosie

I am just sickened by the senseless murders of Mrs. Benoit and her son. How can people idolize this man? He was an abuser of women and children. They never change and the sooner women learn this the better this world will be. Don't mourn for Chris Benoit...he will be judged in another world by a higher authority. Chris Benoit was no real man...he was an abuser and murderer. Fans, get over him. The world lost nothing when he killed himself.

Jon Bodack

This case just gets sicker and sicker! As I said before, it's a shame that this had to happen! He should've just killed himself and left his wife and son alone!

Jon Bodack

It's a shame that this had to happen! He should've just called himself, not his wife and son!

Nomi

While I had read about this...I still don't take it for granted, this is what happened here. This woman had access to money and could have removed herself from the residence. I lived with domestic violence, much longer than she was married to Chris.....I did not have the option of being able to support myself and my minor child. I finally did leave, after he was grown. My ex, was a white O.J. Big, lying, cursing mouth and all. He had knocked me down, tried to choke me, put his fist thru walls, broke open doors, and much, much more. AND threatened to kill me and my entire family, umpteen times. He was strong as an ox, and much meaner. This is the only occurrence I have read regarding the Benoit's. I would be curious to know how his first wife might have found him to be. I think it is too soon, to jump to judgments, about a man, who gave no indication to anyone, he might commit such a brutal act. I still think it may be a triple murder, regarding all three people.

Jon Bodack

Comment #29 is right, Vince McMahon needs to apologize for the persumed storyline of his death!

TOMMY

Yes this is very sad, I have been a wrestling fan for more than 20 years now, never to much of a Benoit fan but I have my favorites.

I love how the media and everyone is so quick to jump on this steroid kick.

I have been a cop for 10 years now I see people kill each other everyday, and men beat their wives yet I never found steroids in the suspects home.

Do you ever think that there was some real deep family issues, and people snap.

Steroids...they key to fame in sports?

I'm not a big wrestling fan, but the sad saga of Chris Benoit and his family makes my heart go out to everyone that knew them. I have been on steroids for asthma many times....they wreak havoc with your mind! I've never had any mental issues, or problems, but once I was on steroids, I was a trainwreck....angry, aggressive and irrational.
I'm sure whatever dose of steroids Chris was taking was far higher than the dose I've taken....
I am not asking anyoine here to forgive Chris Benoit for his actions, but I am asking that people have compassion......

kd

In response to pj, I wholeheartedly agree that women need to get out of abusive relationships. BUT, don't blame her for her own murder. Chris and Chris alone is responsible for his actions.

Statisticly, women are in the most danger immediately AFTER trying to escape an abusive relationship. Most likely, he threatened to kill her and her son after she filed for the divorce, so she may have decided that it was safer to drop the charges. On average, women try to leave an abusive relationship seven times before they are actually successful.

Rather than blaming the victim, we as a society (both men and women) need to do a lot better job of recognizing the warning signs to stop these abusive men.

judy

He is the captain of his own ship. He wanted and took the steroids, and I am sure he knew of the hazzards. Unless he lived in a bubble.
What a horrible horrible person to do that to his wife and son.

Meme

# 21 VKM -- I certainly hope and pray that any woman who gets within 20 miles of you figures you out fast. There is NO way a woman can "push a man to the brink" enough to kill her. You walk away, you pack up and leave, in my own husband's case when he's stressed, he relaxes in a hot bath, everyone has a way to "chill out" and VERY few men are stupid enough to take out their anger by as much as even shoving a woman. I've been in an abusive marriage and all it is is some ego "big man" trip for man, no more than that. My current husband TAUGHT ME what an "equalizer" is in case any man in any form ever hurt me so when my ex came around I knew he'd wear a lamp along side the head as soon as he raised a hand to me and he did - and lost visitation with the kids. Gee, whose fault was that? You sit there and CONDONE abuse! "Sane" men, teach your wives/girlfriends and as well, gay couples teach your partners what an equalizer is in case someday your relationship doesn't work out, your spouse/partner is still protected. Relationships end, but friendship remains in the best of cases. Women, if a man as much as raises his hand to you ONCE - LEAVE! There's always a way even if it's a call to a battered women's shelter. Sadly for Ms. Benoit, she "forgave" one time too many. You cannot "forgive" abuse, it WILL happen again and only gets worse. It feeds some men's egos to prove he can be a big man and strike a woman, yet when my ex was confronted by my now husband he cowered like baby. They can't deal with the men. Yes, perhaps the steroids had something to do with Beniot's actions but there's NO excuse. He could have walked away, walked out the door even for days to cool out. I don't buy it entirely being the steroids. It makes for a good excuse I guess. Only men who are COWARDS will ever raise a hand to a woman. BTW _ I have no use for wrestling anyway, but I will say that I grew up in West Newbury, Mass with John Cena. He's always been a great guy and if any fans feel that they need to "look up" to any of them, John is certainly worthy and is a stable role model. Visits home, he is the same John he always was - no swelled head and IMO doesn't look like he's used steroids, he looks "like myself". Anyway VKM, I suggest that you change your attitude as now you appear to be a guy "most likely to succeed in hurting any woman you choose to" when you don't get your way. We don't need to see your name in print as an abuser next. Should you keep the attutide, it wouldn't surprise me one bit as again, NO woman can drive a man to murder his wife and child in cold blood. NOTHING!!

tired of the whole thing

Domestic violence -- could have been avoided.

haf devil

muscle heads like him, don't deserve to be with women. what he needs is a big and tall trannie. so he can beat the manly out of her. or maybe the other way around.