Sharpton to TMZ: "Roboho" a Big No No

7/9/2007 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Al SharptonNational Action Network President Al Sharpton has set his sights on TMZ.com over the word "Roboho" in a fashion piece that was published two weeks ago:

"Calling any woman a "ho" is demeaning and abusive and it should not be tolerated on any level. It is intolerable to think that TMZ.com would find humor in calling Beyonce -- someone who symbolizes the strength, dignity and uplifting of Black women -- a "Roboho," and they should be denounced by the entire community for glorifying the continued oppression of women with this derogatory term. Racism in America is perpetuated by ignorance and hate and using one's airwaves or media entity to promote it is a blatant setback to civil rights and the advancement of equality.

National Action Network has been in the forefront of protesting the word "ho" and will hold a 20-city tour featuring 100 women in each market on August 7th to protest the use of the word "ho" as well as the "N" and "B" words. We encourage TMZ.com to retract their misogynistic labeling of Beyonce and apologize immediately."

Bird

First of all he is late and wrong on this issue. The black blogs were in an uproar over it two weeks ago. Personally I thought it was a funny and accurate description. I pointed out some of the lovely labels you gave to Brittney and Lindsay and let them know there is no immunity on TMZ for anyone, but Paris Hilton. I'm one black woman that doesn't give a damn about this non issue.

Brook

Yeah right.

Michael J. Jackson Fan

YOU GUYS.....YOU GUYS.....YOU GUYS......REV AL COULD CARE LESS IF TMZ.COM

OR ITS READERS DONT LIKE WHAT HES SAYING.....I AGREE TMZ.COM FIRST NEEDS TO

CONTACT BEYONCE AND ASK IF SHE WAS OFFENDED BY THE PIECE ROBOHO.

AND TAKE IT FROM THERE.....THATS...IT...THATS...ALL..

WHO KNOWS SHE MIGHT NOT GIVE A FLYING FLUTE....

oh la la Paris is hot

Al! I am your ho! Why are you getting all up in Beyonce's business!

I will tell you who is a ho! Your wife is a ho!

But then again you are what you do and you do me so I da guess you a ho too!

Beyonce is a hot bitch! But then again Paris Hilton is a hot bitch too!

HOT!

Mia

I think anyone (especially black people) who put down Beyonce is just jealous.

Laura

Al Sharpton is a racist from the word go. He is just looking for any little thing to cause trouble. He should be ashamed.

Brook

I just might be but your mother informed me on it.

Mia

#72 You go girl!!

Brook

This story is old why give Al the attention he is looking for....next news item of the day please.

Mia

Maybe he should start wearing his track suits again, it would be more comfy for him.

Francisco

Why don't you go read a dictionary and find more words you can F-up Mr. Al Sharpton. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Katerina

Hey Sharpton, will you once and for all shut up and get a real job? Do you have any idea how irritating you are, how far back you have set race relations? Just shut up, learn a trade and become an honest man. You have no credibility with blacks, you are lazy, living in the 60's, pretty much a loser. You sure don't represent me or any blacks I know.

Mia

It's really not about him, we all wait until somone says one thing and we all jump on it. We can't wait to start in with the blacks against the whites. I'm sure Beyonce would think this is insane.

Brook

#83 Actually you wouldn't know what I like..sorry.

Mia

I think Brooke is black??