Tammy Faye

Dies at 65

7/21/2007 11:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tammy Faye MessnerTammy Faye Messner, who as Tammy Faye Bakker helped her husband, Jim, build a multimillion-dollar evangelism empire and then saw it collapse in disgrace, has died. She was 65.

Messner, who had battled colon cancer since 1996 that more recently spread to her lungs, died peacefully at her home Friday, said her booking agent, Joe Spotts, in an e-mail to the Associated Press.

A family service was held Saturday in a private cemetery, where her ashes were interred, he said.

More Today in TMZ History

Born Again because of Tammy

Because of words of wisdom from Tammy about laying that dead body down(long story) I was able to let go of everything that was killing me, through her I was saved, the Lord talked through her to me and I thank God for Tammy, she may have worn alot of make-up she may have been alot of things, but a liar she never was. Because of her, I am saved in everyway a person can be saved! I am greatful that I was able to meet with that wonderful woman to hear her speak to me to aid me through my lifes troubles and in the process save not just me but my marriage! Rest In Peace Tammy...I will always love you, and always have you and yours in my prayers and I will never forget the several hour long talk you and I had! It was a sad day when I saw you burried...I will never forget you, as I laid that rose down on your marble urn, I swore never to forget your words, and I wont! I love you Tammy Faye! To her husband Roe and to her children, your mother and wife was a saint! I am glad that you found your way back to each other, Roe, I will not be far away!
On another note, to the person who's handle is TMZ sucks, you must like it or you would not be here on this site, nor leaving remarks. Let me tell you 1 thing, Karma is a *itch, may it seek you out(and it will) and give you what you rightfully deserve! No need to comment on my comment Sir or maadam,just something that is a fact. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.....

JANIE

have respect for the dead.............

lala

RIP, Tammy.

The angels were lonely and called for you.

Zenophobe Alien

Wasn't always a fan but I feel bad for her. no one wants to go like that.She must have suffered immensely. Please all be kind.

hello, it

R.I.P. Tammy.

let them rest in peace - ALL OF THEM

God bless you Tammy Faye, you were an inspiration with your unending zest for life, your giving spirit and love for everyone. Rest in Peace.

Magsters McDowell

That's really sad. My thoughts and prayers are with Tammy and her family. She struggled for so long to survive this tragic disease. To be honest, I'm surprised that she lived(with this illness)for as long as she did. Tammy Faye is a true fighter and an inspiration.

And to POST # 8, you are so right. If anyone has anything rude to say about Tammy Faye, they should really keep those thoughts to themselves. Tammy Faye did nothing wrong and doesn't deserve those rude comments.

J.R,

I WAS SO HAPPY THAT SHE WAS ABLE TO SAY GOOD-BYE TO THE WORLD LIKE A LADY.
NOW SHE CAN REALLY REST IN PEACE. PEOPLE BE KIND IT IS VERY UNPLEASANT TO LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE. BE KIND TO HER HUSBAND WHO WAS HER CAREGIVER AND TO HER CHILDREN. LIFE IS HARD ENOUGH. REST IN PEACE.
J.R.

Stern Supporter

You made it Tammy Faye....Rest in peace in God's loving kingdom. I love you for the love, strength and courage you displayed to others.

BOEING 787

I'm not a fan of the religious right, any religious right, or uber secular left, but my hart
goes out to her son and family.

Was CNN and Larry King trying to exploit Tammy Faye when she was in her most ill
to get a public reaction?

just asking

just saw her on larry king. looked like see was in so much pain. very frail and could hardly talk. i remember saying that she will be gone soon. i wonder did jim have a comment regarding her passing? God bless her and her family

JolieIsFake

Loved her. She had a great personality and such a caring spirit. At least she's no longer suffering.

Lucille

Truly, God bless Tammy Faye. We all make mistakes but Tammy Faye was God fearing and loving. I know the Lord God has forgiven her and will certainly be in Heaven.

Barb

A couple of Tammy Faye's accomplishments was ministering to gays many years ago when, it was not only unpopular but, she strongly felt that God could care less what type of package you can in.
She had a lovely voice, recorded well over 20 albums singing the Gospel.
Never once that I'm aware of, did she have a hurtful thing to day about anyone, ever.
Excellent sense of humor and enjoyed laughing at herself, too.
She told Larry King on Thursday she wanted to be remembered for her eyelashes.
That woman had a heart of pure gold.

These are things I learned about Tammy Faye by seeing her on Larry King, Surreal Life, the PTL scandal and articles over the years.

I know I missed much, much more. She's a gift to all of us whether some choose to let her in or not.

Lizzie