Ant Saves a Life

8/2/2007 3:17 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ant the comedian is not always just about getting laughs ... and if you've seen his act, you know that's true! But the comedian recently received e-mails from a man who talked about his plans to take his own life. Ant to the rescue!
Ross the Intern and Ant
The e-mails revealed a man who has been dealing with weight, relationship, employment and sexual identity issues. The correspondence grabbed Ant's attention -- who responded by asking for a phone number -- no, not for a date! On Tuesday, while recording a "Talky Blog" with Ross the Intern, the pair called the distressed fan and gave him some emotional and genuine advice. "Reach out before you do anything crazy."

What they said struck a chord. The guy sent another e-mail to Ant after their conversation, promising to ask for help when he's feeling down and out, and saying that he now has hope. "I'm still at the bottom, but at least now I can see the light at the top."

All because a few celebs took the time to make a simple phone call. Not all stars are making news for clubbing, getting DUIs and forgetting their panties.

Allie

I love Ross Mathews, a true Mensch . He has a heart of gold and is so funny.

Rebecca

That's so kind and amazing of them. Kudos to celebrities with souls!

Allie

Yup, Ross is a nice guy. He is funny on The Tonight Show and his NBC taly blog. Seems interested in helping others and apears genuinely kind. He is a hoot on TV an on his blog. The View passed this nice guy over.

RealityTVHo

Good job Ant! So much bashing on TMZ.com, it’s nice to actually read about a celebrity reaching out to help someone without an agenda. You may have just saved someone's life. We never know the impact that we have on other people, both positive and negative. Try to be good to each other. Sermon over, word out.

Allie

Light hearted Fun:
Ross Mathews (NBC:The Tonight Show and Ross the intern talky blog) is a cool guy. Reminds me of a Very young Paul Lynn, good sense of humor, great story teller, enjoys Karoke singing, and loves his dog.

Of course he would help a person out.

kim

this is wonderful, ant, good job! it would have been much easier to just ignore and go on with his busy life, and most stars would have. good going ant!!!

i love ross too, he's so entertaining and genuine. go ross!

Janelle_G

There should be more stories like this, then stories about LL, paris and richie who complain they need privacy when they break laws on PUBLIC roads.

I'm a huge fan of Ross and Love Ant too! They both are genuine huge hearted people.

Deb

It's nice to know that there are people in LaLaLand that don't have an agenda for everything they do.

Ant & Ross I believe are really decent, fun guys. You don't see them under the caption of DUI, drug bust. Other celebs could certainly learn from this. It's not all about THEM!! To many celebs belief in the "I" factor.

Ross & Ant's fan base will grow from this and power to them. Ant could have ignored the email but in his heart -- could not. Standing "O" for both you guys!!

getAgrip

YAAAAAY! This story made my week! Great job guys!

shawn spector

would someone plaese give these guys their own show! I love ant and ross. Big Fan. Good job guys. Ant, if you read this, The Ft.Lauderdale improv please. I'm getting sick of chris porter already. Where you at???????????

Jebediah

I love Ant and Ross. Good for them. Wow what a powerful blog. It's right under today's entry...you have to check it out. --Jeb

suritomkatfan

Who the heck is "ant" and why didnt they just let him die?? Losers!

Karen

Ant is a wonderful person. I have been a member of the Ant Colony since the creation of his blog... he helps people all the time with unselfish acts... I am on the people he has taken the time out of his busy life to help... he is a great a guy... Ross is as well!

'Chele

This was a great story. Thanks for posting something substantial and positive, TMZ.

Jebediah

TO: BLABLABLA
Dude...that's why people like Ross
and Ant are needed...you my friend
are the loser here. Check please!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments