Bad Sushi Night -- Brad Garrett Attacks

8/13/2007 10:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Things got downright racial last night in Malibu, when a paparazzo taunted Brad Garrett, calling him racist to his face. Garrett then took out his anger on the wrong guy, bitchslapping a TMZ photog.

It happened outside Nobu restaurant around 11:30 PM, after a photog from the FAME photo agency questioned the "Everybody Loves Raymond" star about a joke he made about black people earlier in the week. According to several witnesses and FAME, last month Brad noticed a black photog taking his picture, and in Kramer-esque fashion quipped, "I didn't know there were black people in Malibu. Go back to where you came from."

Fast forward to last night, where the 6'8" behemoth reached his boiling point when the same black photog questioned him about the alleged comment. The photog told Garrett that there were "more black people here this time," to which the actor replied, "Yeah, I know ... when did they let you out?" Furious at the comment, photog told Garrett, "You're racist. You should be ashamed on [sic] yourself."

Obviously frustrated, Garrett then lost his cool completely. Instead of reacting to the snapper making the comments, Garrett approached TMZ's cameraman and unleashed his right hand, smashing the camera into the photog's face.

Calls to Garrett's reps were not immediately returned.

NatTurner

Two things are obvious. 1) There are a lot of racist people in this world and that includes "libera;" Hollywood.

2) I'm not surprised people here would take his side. because after all....(see #1)

Now, you Archie Bunkers. Why arent you jumping on him like you jumped on the black actor that "attacked" a TMZ camara man? So typical!

John Denver Rules

Thanks for confirming my magic spy. Your gross by funny. If you are trying to make me angry try harder.

bob

THE PHOTOGRAPHERS AND VIDEOGRAPHERS RUNS IN PACKS OR GANGS ,COMING OUT OF A RESTAURANT AT 11:30 PM AND GETTING ABUSED BY LOW LIFES,THERE WASNT JUST 2 PHOTOGRAPHERS THERE,LOOK AT THE VIDEO,THEY WERE ALL OVER HIS CAR AND PERSONAL SPACE,

ORPHANS IN UNITED STATES NEEDS JUST AS MUCH HELP , STARTS AT "HOME ( USA )

FIRST OF ALL , I'M SEEING THIS BOTH WAYS ......BETWEEN CELEBS /

CAMERAMEN .........

ONE DAY I WENT TO CANCUN FOR VACATION , AND I HAD AT LEAST 20

MEXICANS BEING A PEST , JUST WAITING TO STALK YA , TO GRAB

YOUR LUGGAGE , I FELT LIKE I WAS A CELEB BEING STALKED , SO NOW

I KNOW HOW THE CELEBS FEEL ........NO FUN .....ALWAYS HAVING

MANY MEXICANS / PAPARAZZI BOTHERING YA , I DOUBT VERY MUCH

I'LL EVER GO TO MEXICO AGAIN .......VERY DIFFERENT .........

CELEBS REALIZE ONCE THEY'RE POPULAR , THEY KNOW WHAT

TO EXPECT.

I TRUTHLY THINK THERE NEEDS TO BE A LAW WHERE THE

CAMERAS HAVE TO BE 40 FEET AWAY FROM YOU , AT ALL TIMES.

Justin is Calling

'Why'd you hit me?' whined the stalkerazzi after being bitchslapped by an lightning quick right hand by Brad Garrett.

Hounding someone, following them to their car and calling them racists?

I'd say that was clear harassment.

How many members of the Flava Flave roast did TMZ accost this week?

Tangie

Sometimes the paps push and get in your face, I think that's wrong. But this guy Brad was way out of line. What an ass. I hope he gets sued. And get a clue people, comedians talk about black/white people all the time. That Flavor Flav roast last night was hilarious, but I don't hear anybody complaining about the racism in that!

sam

Wow, the photog was baiting him....no surprise he got smacked. Any reasonable person would/could have done the same thing. So here in lies questions, why didn't the photog go away when asked? How rude it that? I think he just wanted to provoke a confrontation and get on camera. More $$’s that way. I feel no sympathy for people that know no limits.

bob

A few years ago there were only about 30 paparazzis working in Los Angeles,,,now with Blogs and TMZ an others getting into the celebrity thing, Theres around 600 green horns with Cameras,,,Theres Gang Members With Cameras,Theres 14 year olds with 7 Thousand Dollar Cameras out there,,,,,,Theres convicted sexual preditors with cameras Stalking your celebrity kids out there,,,,There are Iligal Alians from other countries that have no business with a camera stalking Celebs for Money,,,,,Theres more at the Door,Theres More at the Door,Theres more at the Door,,,

Lisa

Brad Garret is a total racist. He madea remark on an Emmy awards show a few years back. It went soemthing like this.....he said a mock category and then referred to shows on UPN, and WB, as networks for black shows. As if to say, because a network has a lot of black shows, its a black network, but what about NBC, BCS, ABC...do we give them the label of white networks because they have mostly if not all shows with a predominantly white cast. He said it as if white was normal and black was not normal, and thus needed a special category. I was so angry at the time, I had emailed CBS. or ABC, NBC, whichever network had carried the Emmy's that year.

Tangie

The photographer taunting him doesn't even sound black as stated in your story. He sounds arabic. He's the one who should have been smacked. He was asking for it.

Stan

what a douce, no wonder he hasn't had a job since the brady bunch was cancled

SinCity

I'd be the first to say that celebrities are not above the law, but that also goes to the "paparazzi". Whoever the pap was who was "taunting" him, should be charged with harassment by Garrett.

However, Garrett shouldn't have hit the TMZ cameraman who didn't seem to be involved in what was going on. I think you're right, I think Garrett got flustered and angry and hit the wrong person. Either way, he could also be charged with assault. Not that I can blame celebrities for reaching a boiling point after the way the paparazzi in general treats them.

Michelle

What a disgusting bigot. His career is going nowhere, which seems appropriate.

DP

Good for him. No matter if he's a jerk or not, the paparazzi go too far.

shabba