Rev. Al Went Straight for Godfather of Soul

8/17/2007 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ever wonder where Reverend Al Sharpton got that silvery sleek, decidedly un-nappy coiffure? The good Rev. tells TMZ that it was an edict from none other than music legend James Brown, and that he's keeping the coiffure to honor the late Godfather of Soul's memory.

According to a source close to Sharpton, a couple decades ago, the Godfather of Soul asked Sharpton to "straighten your hair like mine so when people see you they think you're my son." Papa's giving you a brand-new 'do!

Thus, when rapper David Banner called him a "permed-out pimp" in a recent tirade, it struck a particularly sore chord with Rev. Al, who was so close to Brown that he stood by James' coffin throughout his public visitation at the Apollo Theater last December.

What's more, don't look for the Rev. to give up the look anytime soon. In fact, he says he'll never give it up. "That's my bond with James Brown," he tells us.

Only swim in the Ocean

This guy is a fug

Only swim in the Ocean

Oh yea......FIRST

Lein

Maybe Al can take a dirt nap with James. So long sucka.

Pocahontas

WHAT AN-ALL AMERICAN.

I ADMIT, THERE'S SOMETHING CHARMING ABOUT REV. AL

Roni

I can't stand this permed out pimp! He doesn't change his hair because he doesn't know what to do with it. Whatever he gets done has to be better than what he has now!

Kate

So, he wants to share a bond with a wife beating womanizer who fathered at least 5 kids out of wedlock and was in jail how many times? I really don't get why people choose to idolize this man. And just to prove I'm not racist I feel the same way about Elvis. Stop putting these people on a pedastal...and AL...get your own identity you racist bigot.

SayWhat

This is a really old story. He's already told it on tv a long time ago.

Stay away from beans and cheese

This is the guy who was buying a kilo of coke and then got busted. Now he works as a snitch for the FBI. What a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUPER-ficial

Uncle Cracker . . you've got a lot of nerve considering some of the e-mail I've read from citizens in Utah, Iowa and Idaho . . . .

I laugh at other's misfortunes

Media whore racist Mo Fo!!

Radical Free Agent

Cracker: You're right, but the word can also be properly used as a title. What I want to know is, just who bestowed this title on Al?

Where I live, certain protestant church leaders decide they are bishops. They suddenly begin using 'Bishop' before their name. That doesn't make them real bishops.

Lein

Didn't this fool play Buckwheat on the Little Rascals?

Democrats are evil

He's a Reverend alright. It's just that his God has horns and resides in a deep hole in the bounds of Hell. Actions speak louder than words.

Joe Tyler

He still has NO creditability whatsoever. He is a racist as well as Jesse Jackson!!!!!!

Joe Tyler

I think that is a really good picture of Rosie O'Donnell----the best she ever looked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments