« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Vick: I Found Jesus

8/27/2007 12:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Speaking in a quiet, contrite voice, former NFL stud Michael Vick faced the media outside of a hotel in Richmond, VA -- and accepted responsibility for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"I will redeem myself" said Vick, "I have to."

Vick wasn't specific about the acts he was sorry for, but declared, "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it."

Between apologies to everyone from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank -- to all the kids who used to look up to him, Vick declared that he's found Jesus and has turned his life over to God.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick also dropped part of his apology in the third person saying, "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to be a better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

During the presser, Vick made it clear several times that he never "pointed the finger" and is prepared to face the consequences of his actions.

After speaking for nearly five minutes, Vick left the podium without taking any questions.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that the judge has accepted Vick's plea.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

MissMia

I have just heard his statement and I forgive him. I felt his apology was heartfelt and I believe him. He has a LONG way in redeeming himself...but this is the beginning. He has lost his life, but he has also found it. God Bless, keep him first and you will be forgiven.

Jen

What a jerk. Too late to redeem yourself.

Get a life

lol, there was some show on last week and they started guessing how long it would take for him to "find Jesus" after he went to prison. I guess he decided not to wait 'til then. Funny how Jesus just shows up in your life when you get caught doing something illegal, immoral, unethical and downright WRONG. I hope the judge gives him enough time to get to know Jesus REAL well. Douche bag.

Glisten Garbor

I didn't hear him say I apologize to all the animals I tortured and killed..Found Jesus, yah right..

J

LOL- don't worry, Mike- I think Jesus is looking for you.....

Stan

although If he comes back to the NFL can you imagine what al the fans will be yelling at him in the stadium ? Dog Killer ! they will throw stuffed doggies at him probably

monique

I just want to know what fuels the type of bloodthirst that would allow a person to participate in such a brutal act. Personally, I don't like the smell of dogs or cats, but to those who like them, great. And to blow a $130 million contract on some bs? Please.

britts only supporter

tooo bad he wont do a day in jail huh people? i say lets legalize dog-fighting and outlaw abortion.

CharlieTheVoice

Did he say re-ream??? or redeem?

big joe

BULL DOG. HE WILL BE BACK @ IN A YEAR.

HE IS A ANIMAL

Janet Campios

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!! NOW HE FOUND JESUS
HE SHOULD HAVE THOUGH ABOUT THAT BEFORE HE DID WHAT HE DID TO GODS CREATURES.

Get a life

#2: Grow up. This has nothing to do with race. Hillbilly rednecks in Kentucky dogfight too. Throw some racial slurs around about them too since you're in the mood.

megz

he's only sorry becasue he got caught!! he needs to get the full sentence

I speak da trooph

Jesus freaks!! You have got to be kidding me. All someone has to say is I found Jesus? In a week???? Maybe Lindsey and Brit will find Jesus, will you all be so quick to forgive them? And they didn't hurt anyone (yet) but themselves. Get a LIFE!!! He will rot in the afterlife for claiming he found God.

Johnny SoCal

I watched his public statement and it came from the heart! He didn't read from notes and if you watched, truely felt his embarassment! Time will tell if he's really sorry for his involvement in dog fighting or if he's just sorry for getting caught!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments