« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Vick: I Found Jesus

8/27/2007 12:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Speaking in a quiet, contrite voice, former NFL stud Michael Vick faced the media outside of a hotel in Richmond, VA -- and accepted responsibility for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"I will redeem myself" said Vick, "I have to."

Vick wasn't specific about the acts he was sorry for, but declared, "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it."

Between apologies to everyone from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank -- to all the kids who used to look up to him, Vick declared that he's found Jesus and has turned his life over to God.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick also dropped part of his apology in the third person saying, "I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to be a better Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

During the presser, Vick made it clear several times that he never "pointed the finger" and is prepared to face the consequences of his actions.

After speaking for nearly five minutes, Vick left the podium without taking any questions.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that the judge has accepted Vick's plea.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

chuggdog

Big difference between chickens and pigs that are raised for food then dogs that are tortured & killed for no reason. Chickens and pigs are slaughtered for a reason. So SoCal, shut up.

Victoria

#47 - TRUTHTALKER....

AMEN!

lilly

Sure, the only thing he is "sorry" about is the fact that he was caught!!! Funny how he "suddenly" found Jesus ... I mean was he actively searching for him as he was murdering innocent animals? For all those people who continue to say: "please give him a chance", HELLO!! he already had his chance & he blew it!!!

william martinez

isn't it deep how so many of us "find" Jesus [who isn't lost] when we "get in trouble" [translation- GET CAUGHT]. however, that's what getting caught is all about ; realizing we are wrong, a wake up call, a chance to correct aberrant behaviour. and that's why Jesus came; to redeem that which is lost- every one of us. if we are willing to admit before God that we are wrong, after all how can you be forgiven if you refuse to acknowledge you've done wrong? wake up hypocrites; you [and me] need to "find" him too.

webms

Butthead

Get a life

What's his next step? Rehab? A tear-filled interview with Oprah? He's got to do the celebrity apology tour to impress the judge.

And I agree, this has NOTHING to do with race. Some people just like to use any opportunity to spew irrational hatred. Like #10 said, dogfighting is common about southern whites as well. Blaming this on race diminishes the seriousness of the crime.

studly

why do these morons become jesus FREAKS when they fo to jail,there is no mythical being out there people

PR

So where are all those folks that were screaming about how Vick is innocent until proven guilty and condemning everyone who saw the facts as what they were and knew Vick was as guilty as sin??? I guess they've changed their battle cry to "forgive him for he has sinned". If folks want to forgive him, fine, but that does not negate what he did in the first place. Finding god and serving jail time seem to go hand and hand these days.

Take off, eh?

To # 69.

No doubt his next step is to write a book and title it, "If I was really sorry, here's how I'd say it"

Maria Lee

He did not seem sincere to me at all. Just a bunch of crocodile tears. I believe he's just sorry he got caught, cause otherwise, he'd be doing the exact same thing today. He should have talked more about what an awful and low life thing to do for anyone to be involved in dogfighting. Such a cruel form of entertainment, which I'll never understand!!!

Johnny Blaze

The guy in the pick next to Vick is not Jesus.

pattycakes

he found jesus?? where and when did he find him hmmmmm how nice for him lol i hope he goes to jail for a long time , or maybe they should tie him down to his umm =machine too , altho he might like it lol

SayWhat

"Immature?" Try evil, sick, disgusting, against all that is good, twisted, sociopathic and narcissistic. You loathsome, perverted criminal.

Beerslave

It's funny how he is regretful only after he was caught.....he didn't turn himself in...he was caught red handed. He will be buried for 2+ years....what-a-loser...He should be shunned for the rest of his life...

Maureen

The Michael Vick I heard today is the Michael from Va. Tech -- he was a nice kid, drafted young, while still in college. He grew up in the projects and made something of himself. He can turn his life around and I think the punishment and crime will bring out the good person he can be. I hope he redeems himself. He is the kind of person who deserves a second chance after he does his time.