El Debarge

in El Slammer!

8/29/2007 6:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

El DebargeTMZ has learned R&B sensation El Debarge is currently cooling his dancing shoes in an L.A. County Jail, arrested on Sunday for domestic violence!

Rhymes With Snitch first broke the news of Debarge's arrest. El, whose real name is Eldra, scored major success in 1985 with the hit "Rhythm of the Night." His brother James was briefly married to Janet Jackson, but that marriage was annulled.

Debarge currently sits in a cell, without bail. Wear it well!

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that Debarge is being held on several outstanding warrants ranging from vandalism to drugs to driving with a suspended license. On these particular warrants, bail is not an option -- which means El Debarge will stay behind bars until he sees the judge.

Amy Silverman

That's a shame-he had more talent than a ton of folks out there now!!!!!!!!!!!

steve

this guy legal?

Bird

Many of the DeBarges have had legal troubles over the years, including El. Sadly with the multitude of hits they released (enough for a slamming greatest hits album) with two successful groups and a solo act, Chico is the only one that even tours a little bit.

Get your facts straight.
1. El was not married to Janet, his brother James was.
2. El was not in Switch. His older brothers were. Switch was popular in the 70s and DeBarge was popular in the 80s.
3. El is not Mexican. He is biracial

I understand us TMZ readers love to rip the celebs to shreds, but at least get your facts straight.

Democrats are evil

L.A. County seemed to have enough room for this guy. He must have blown all his excess cash and he's of no use to the D.A. No early release for the trolls of hollywood.

ohnoudient

He must really smell right about now, b/c I know his little pretty ass is scared to shower. Poor thing

Sandjar

Thank you KiKi .... But what can you really expect. It's sadly what dominates the landscape of American society these days. Ignoramuses need to also be informed of how much El DeBarge's music is sampled by the people they consider to be musicians and artistes these days. We understand it though, the newbies in the biz don't know it themselves .... so if material was being pirated and their behinds were on the line for a lawsuit they wouldn't even know the difference. (With the exception of a tiny few, like Ne-yo.) Know what that is? NON-READERS!!

Sandjar

Hal R Hosfeld:
There's a place for bigots and it's not on the face of the earth. I hope you live to see the day when someone talks about you like that and there's nothing you can do about it no matter how much you want to. By the way, I know it's all the same to (SOME) people who lack pigment and personality, but he's not from Tijuana.

Sandjar

Be careful BIRD,
Mexicans can be biracial. There's a difference between one's nationality and one's race.

HIt and Run

El Debarge is Black Creole you morons!

carlos

Regarding his music- His music has been kept low key, but he has worked on several projects after Rhythem of the Night came out. Any R&B fan out there knows this. Probably one of the few artist from the 80's, 90's that could put together a really good soulful R&B album together and have it sell. Put it this way....El was singing that high pitched stuff before Robin Thicke was even born...lol. (no diss to Robin, the man is talented)

Regarding this Domestic Violence arrest- I think El is really lucky his wife didn't pick up a frying pan and smacked the crap out of him...the man don't weigh nothing but a buck, buck O five!!!

jumijumijumi

Who?

Patnic

El Needs some rehab. I hope some of the other singers in the entertainment business come to his rescue and help a brother get his life together. El is a part of our music history. I had no idea he was in this kind of shape.

zema

When I went online and saw that he had been arrested I couldn't believe it. I grew up to DeBarge music, I loved DeBarge and El was my favorite. I still have all the DeBarge albums. So sad though, what a waste of TRUE TALENT. He was handsome, sexy, had a voice out of this world, I loved to hear him sing. When I saw the picture of him, I almost didn't recognize him. He has to be on drugs, in the mug shot he looks strung out. Here I thought he was living a happy quiet peaceful married life. Goes to show you never know. I do hope he gets himself straightened out.

little red

I'm always saddened see another black man in the slammer. Domestic violence is on the rise it seems. It so sad that a couples who once loved and cherished one another are now resorting fighting . My prayers are with Mr & Mrs DeBarge. And to all of the Player Haters who put the negative and vile comments on this site. Why don't you guys try praying for this brother instead of tearing him down!!! My parents taught me if I couldn't say something Positive don't say anything at all. Peace

zema