El Debarge

in El Slammer!

8/29/2007 6:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

El DebargeTMZ has learned R&B sensation El Debarge is currently cooling his dancing shoes in an L.A. County Jail, arrested on Sunday for domestic violence!

Rhymes With Snitch first broke the news of Debarge's arrest. El, whose real name is Eldra, scored major success in 1985 with the hit "Rhythm of the Night." His brother James was briefly married to Janet Jackson, but that marriage was annulled.

Debarge currently sits in a cell, without bail. Wear it well!

UPDATE: TMZ has learned that Debarge is being held on several outstanding warrants ranging from vandalism to drugs to driving with a suspended license. On these particular warrants, bail is not an option -- which means El Debarge will stay behind bars until he sees the judge.

wifa

That's weird, I thought he passed away. Look at www.findagrave.com !!!!!- You'll see!!!!

a.n.a.

Thank you #15!!! Who the hell are you idiots who don't know the genius of EL. He is more than singer, he produces, writes, and collaborates with and for the best!

My thoughts and prayers are wih you El!

Trysh Jefferson

El was never with Janet Jackson. That was his brother, James. Get it right, next time.

Pocahontas

THE DEBARGE FAMILY ARE MUSICAL GENUISES. I'M ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE FANS.

Despite any personal problems, I love Debarge & Switch forever.
Hope everything works out for you, El.

And as for Chico, you are SOOOOOOOOOO HOTTTTTTTT.

Tour soon, I need my fix of Chico.

Love ALWAYS

trlynee

I hate to hear that El is having so many difficulties. At the age of 13 he was my first crush and will always hold a special place in my heart. My wall was literally wallpapered with pictures of him. I hope he gets some help and gets his life back together.

G.R. DJ

#62 That is Bobby DeBarge of Switch who died of AIDS in the 90's

NYC

What the hell is wrong with celebrities now a days??? Well Debarge was one in the 80's but still. This family(Debarge) have been so bless like the jacksons and many others, with endless talent and there it goes, down the drain! I am a working person who tries to play lotto because the only way I'll ever get rich is by winning, cause lord knows I have no talent. I pray for people like this!

ACU Alum

His current wife isn't named Tracey, is it?

trlynee

Tracey Wade?

jessyka

Hmm, i think his current wife is tracey- not sure though...ive seen pictures of her and their kids- very pretty.. it's on the www.mamadebarge.com site in the gallery where you can see pics of the whole family and stuff (it's their mother's site-who also has a book out about them) and btw he is Biracial not hispanic. I hope he straightens himself out...

jaazzy

people should learn to respect living legends all people artists have their ups and downs it is not for us to judge them...I love el debarge he is truly one of the last great black singers..may god be with him and his family...jail is no place for any individual who has talents and so much to offer others..free el debarge.

El , come back to your senses....

half of you on this site don't even know who debarge is, so let me school ya...

The song sampled on Ashanti's "Foolish", is Debarge's "Stay With Me" which by the way, has also been used by damm near everyone else. Biggie, Mary J, to name a few. El DeBarge sings lead.

Also sings some lead vocas on Quincy Jones "Secret Garden".

Caaramelbunny

El needs a hug and a lot of love!!! There are three sides to every store. Side "A", side "B", and the truth which lies somewhere between the two points. I'm sure "time will reveal".

I Love the DeBarges!!

Im so saddened by the DeBarge family at this time. First El gets arrested and now Chico!! Chico was arrested 8/30 in Van Nuys on a felony charge. I just pray that they are able to work out the negatives in their lives.

moni

That is really sad to see a guy with such a beautiful voice so troubled. I hope he and his brother Chico can get past their problems. Such a waste. I had no idea that he was having problems like this, but it is so common in the music industry.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments