Nick's Mom -- I Didn't Dump the Dog!

8/31/2007 1:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nick Carter's mom, Jane, tried to explain how her son's beloved pit bull ended up in a shelter -- but the credibility of her excuse is just slightly less believable than "The dog ate my homework."

Jane Carter called the MJ Morning Show to slam our story from Wednesday as "baloney," claiming that she gave Layla, a pit bull mix, to a "friend of her husband" to keep at his kennel. Then, she says, the dog escaped from the kennel, though this kennel-owner "friend" apparently didn't notice the dog was gone until animal services picked it up and took it to the shelter in Hernando County.

Mama Carter -- who's had plenty of public tiffs with Nick -- also made some excuse about not having a phone and the dog not being well trained, even though we're told that Nick spent $7,000 to train Layla.

Meanwhile, Carter also took the chance to accuse Ranelle Black, the woman who originally rescued the dog back in L.A. and got the alert that she was missing, of trying to hijack money from Nick.

In a statement to TMZ, Black blasted Mama Carter's claims,saying:

"Regarding Jane Carter's comment of "trying to hijack money from Nick", there is absolutely no basis for her egregious accusation. I have been working with Nick to facilitate the return of Layla to him without any thought or request for compensation of any kind.

Nick and his representatives and I have been discussing the best way to bring Layla back to Nick in LA. This can be confirmed either with Nick directly or his representatives. I have dedicated my life to rescuing and sheltering dogs and have done so not only without compensation, but at great personal expense. I have neither sought nor pursued any public attention to the work that I do."

MarkToronto

Admit it. You ate just a crappy mom that is overwhelmed by you son's celebrity status and especially the money that goes with it.

Don't fret, my dear lady, he'll be a drug addicted has been before you know.

So chill, stop being jealous and you and your boy will be in joint counseling soon enough.

MarkToronto

Correction for #34.

"ate" was a typo. What I meant to type was "are". Damn it. I really should proofread my comments. Sorry.

Perpetual Hangover

OK, first of all, I have been watching my son's Pit Bull all summer, since around June. He asked me and I agreed to it. If I had one thought that she could not stay here anymore I would call my son, not a shelter, and work something else out. And by the way I have not been compensated at all for this. I did it for my son. Was it easy? Oh hell no, I am not set up for larger dogs, my dogs are small, I have cats and birds and kids, and people over all the time. Have I had any problems with the big mean pitty? No. I have had more problems with my little dogs being irritating to her than anything else. She has been more patient than I could even imagine. She thinks she is a 50 pound lap dog. The only problem I have had is my own insecurity about my neighbors reactions to the big bad pit bull running around in the yard. But the only actual reaction I have had is "Oh my gosh, she is beautiful"

I can not for one minute imagine a mother doing this to her son. Your pets are part of your family. I don't think my son would EVER speak to me again if I even thought about dumping his dog somewhere, just as if the shoe were ont he other foot and he did it to me I would snap.

As for the mother blaming the rescue lady, that is absurd. You just do NOT make money in animal rescue. It sucks you dry, trust me.

puppysperson

just help the dog get to a safe and happy place

LongJohn69

All that mom was missing was the burlap sack and a secluded bridge over a fast running river. "Woof, woof, glug, glug, glug."

Lisa