PETA Gives Whoopi a Whuppin'!

9/5/2007 11:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Whoopi is the new Rosie on "The View," in more ways than one! Day one, and she's already pissed off a whole lotta people, including animal rights group PETA. Goldberg defended Michael Vick by saying there are things that are "indicative to certain parts of our country," ... meaning the South.
PETA and Whoopi Goldberg
PETA President Ingrid Newkirk fired off an email to Whoopi that very politely said just how ignorant Whoopi's statement was. "I think a lot of people who live and work in the South -- as PETA does -- will not appreciate the "view" that cruelty to dogs is an accepted Southern pastime. Those who fight dogs do so in New York, Chicago, and even the Republic of The View -- click to launchIreland, and what unites them is lawlessness and callousness, not whether they eat grits or Belgian waffles for breakfast." Newkirk went on to say that "animals are as vulnerable to abuse as children are, and they need your voice more than Vick does right now." Whoops!

UPDATE: On today's "View" Whoopi said she was "not condoning" Vick's actions. It sure sounded as though she was making excuses for them.

CaliGuy

I used to liek Whoopi before I saw how ignorant she is. Now shes stumbling over her own words trying to 'fix' the drama. tired old hack. ANYWAY..umm what part of 'the deep south' is Vick from anyway?

CaliGuy

#19. TO: 10. "Since everyone likes dogs so much why don't some of you go from city to city and fund dog shelters for stray dogs, there are way to many strays running around, hell most of you don't support dogfighting but you would be glade to support the death penalty most of the dogs that are used in dog fighting are viscous and savage and would kill at any opportunity. it's ashame that people would waste so much time on some damn dogs."

You sound as ignoranmt as Whoopi did. Those dogs are TRAINED to be mean and angry viscious dogs. They dont usualy come that way...duh dumbass. AND if its so damn easy to fund a dog shelter why didnt your pal Vick do it? He had the money and the time..most of us dont make millions per year and get 6 months at a time off..go figure we have actual real lives to lead. Besides anyone who trys to defend/condone/reason why Vick did this will only look stupid and ignorant....

Jeff Loves Dogs

Whoopie, give it up! Your 15 minutes of fame are gone - FOREVER! Your ignorance is bustin out of that ugly funky hairdoo you're sportin!

Anna

#40. I don't think he is going to drop names now that he will probably get a light sentence. One thing ppl behind bars don't like is a snitch(no matter what u snitched about). I am black and try not to see this as a black or white thing, but it's hard not too. I also said wrong is wrong.

Boycot all Jesses Business

Whoopie does not fit in on the View at all. Bad choice. She brings down the fun, upbeatness of the show and you have to wait forever for her to say anything when she talks. .... and now no one respects her. They made the fashion quest say she looked great this morning. Let's face it, she looks like a bag lady. That was so planned. The View is dead.

malloryd

I understood where Whoopi was coming from with the comment!! I'm from the south and did not take ANY offense to it. People need to lay off of it already! I watched her make the comment and I could see her point....

And as far as PRADA saying Whoopi will stand up for someone just because they are black.... Grow up! That has nothing to do with it... she wasn't taking up for him...maybe you SHOULD watch the view before you comment.

Moooooove on anyway! If Vick is so sick (WHICH HE IS, I AGREE) Then Lets all stop talking about him already!!!!!!!!!!

next....

Jake

"The Whoopster" better get her facts straight before she starts in defending Michael Vick for his sick dog fighting ways. She said he was from the DEEP DEEP South (usually identified as Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Arkansas) but in fact he was born and raised in Newport News Virginia, hardly the south let alone the Deep South. Vick also knew it was an illegal activity as he admitted himself in his statement to police. And he is a College Graduate (unless what Whoopee is saying is that he got a ride thru college because of his football prowess.) There is NO defense for what Vick did, Whoopee. At least (you Rosie homophobes) Rosie picked on someone who could answer back. I doubt if Vick's dogs could ask for mercy as he was drowning them. You really blew it Whoopee Dog Hater.

val

BECAUSE NUMBER 10 POST,listanna, DOGS ARE INNOCENTS UNLIKE YOU WHO ARE VOCAL AND IGNORANT.... that's why we support dogs and love them as you support your moronic view. That's all. Now go bark at the door and see if they'll let you out. You're a mess as was your post

Steven

Seriously

HATE the view.......REFUSE TO WATCH IT, or anything related to it........but will take a moment to let everyone know that this blogger HATES the view.

Maureen

Nice Whoopie. Let's see, it used to be "culturally acceptable" to lynch black people down south --- shall we endorse that behavior as well? Her ignorance is overwhelming. And that program is revolting. Always was and always will be - no matter who they have on their sofa.

calling it like i see it

just a thought, she could be accused of a type of racism. just because people live in the south doesn't mean we all fight dogs etc. how really low class and sterotypical. this show will sink in no time and i for one can't wait. vic doesn't need to be taken up for, he needs to be held accountable for his actions. she is a waste of air time.

Leonard

Goldberg's irresponsible and clearly misinformed position on
dogfighting as well as her implied public support of this illiterate
thug, Michael Vick, whereby she basically justifies these heinous
acts, is the beginning of the downfall of what's left of her career.
She is a has-been unattractive, if not plain ugly, no talent negro who
now supports the killing of innocent helpless an

CaliGuy

45. I love my dog (Boots) but I would put my foot in his boots' a## if he ever gets out of line. PETA don't have to like, ole well. PETA is so pasionate about their love for dogs but I am willing to bet that most of its members owns Furs. I'm sure they know how the fur industry kills those aminals. If they don't I will tell you - they HANG THEM!! Personally, I would like to see the same pasion shown toward women and children that get the hell beat out of them by professional ballplayers. Where in the hell is PETA them. I guess a dog is worth more than a human being, especially a black human being.

OMG you are sooo IGNORANT! PETA supporters/workers wearing fur??? LOL thats the most ignorant point yet. PETA is for all animals not just dogs and last time I checked there were a hell of alot more black support and black rite groups than dog support groups. Blacks have PLENTY of loud mouth fanatics supporting them...why shoudnt dogs get the same? Wrong is wrong and if you think skin color changes that than you need a good ol fashioned wake up call. Its sad how ignorant you are...thats too bad.

Festus

Whoopi is about as sharp as a marble. She will defend whatever group she favours and logic or common sense be dammed.
Years ago I saw her defending communism in East Germany by explaining that it was okay since the people there had grown up under it and had never known any other system.

One of the other guests asked if the same could be about the slaves.

Whoopi did something uncharacteristic for her, she shut the hell up.