"Match Game's" Brett Somers Dead at 83

9/17/2007 12:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Brett Somers"Match Game" vet Brett Somers passed away from stomach and colon cancer at her Connecticut home on Saturday. She was 83.

Somers, the grandmother of the Mary-Kate Olsen/Nicole Richie oversized sunglasses trend, was known for her dry wit and humor as one of the celebrity panelists on the memorable '70s game show, which experienced renewed interest in repeats on the Game Show Network.

Ms. Somers married actor Jack Klugman in 1953 and played his ex-wife on the long-running series, "The Odd Couple." Although they separated in 1974, the couple never divorced.

Somers is survived by Klugman, her two sons, Adam and David, and a daughter, Leslie.

70's kid

I enjoyed watching Match Game and Match Game PM as a kid and remember the funny stuff during the show with all the celebrities. Did not realize she was married to Jack Klugman though! RIP

Mel

I liked her. I still watch the reruns sometimes and enjoy a time when Hollywood knew how to have fun without being so full of itself.

God Bless Brett Somers
Condolences to the Family.

flubby

[ Blank ] as a doornail.

Columbo

She was great on Match Game - I watch everyday on GSN. Watched it in the 70's too. Shows were fun before people got sued, fired and ruined for every stupid thing they said.

Merry Christmas

I remember her. TV shows were way better then. Today's reality garbage is just that...garbage. Bless her and her family.

Justina

She was so funny. I still love watching the Match Game reruns on the Game Show Network and I especially love the shows she is on.

Buttercup

What a shame in that we all can't live forever. I also watch Matchgame reruns on GSN every chance I get. BEST GAMESHOW EVER!!!!! I know alot of them I have seen several times but they are still funny. This leaves Richard Dawson as the only "regular" still alive. Charles Nelson Reilly died earlier this year as did Gene Rayburn. Hard to believe what they were able to get away with on those shows. Words, etc. And all the smoking they did. It's a wonder they lived this long. Just a few days ago they showed her daughter on the show. I hadn't realized til then she had kids. I did know she was married to J. Klugman.

Pieta

Thank you TMZ - finally a decent obit on someone. Interesting...didn't know she was the Olson Twins' grandmother and I did not know she never divorced Klugman........she was hilarious......very dry wit - a real talent. RIP.

TV

I absolutely loved Match Game as a kid. Brett was sooo funny as was another funny man Charles Nelson Riley. Still watching reruns. It's a breath of fresh air compared to what is on TV today. My condolences to her family. Thank you Brett for all the laughs you gave us. RIP

Pieta FYI- she wasn't the Olsen twins grandmother. She was the "grandmother" of big glasses.

writergal

funny i was watching odd couple last night with blanche (oscar's exwife!) how eerry!

writergal

#7 -- gene rayburn died years ago.

howard supporter

I reallt liked Brett...She always made me smile. I loved the show and still watch it when I can find it on TV. So many of the stars of Match Game has passed...It's really sad. We really are getting older.

+DJ FunkyGrrL+

I have no clue who she was

lovey

I think it was meant that she(being Brett) is the grandmother of the trend of big sunglasses. I do not think they meant that she is their grandmother. It was kind of written oddly. Brett was a very funny lady and I really loved it when her and Charles Nelson Riley went at each other. I was just so very, very sad when I saw the posting of her death. WOW!!!! 83 years old, she lived a long life.... Prayer's to her family.....................

lookin

God bless you Brett...now you and Charles Nelson Reilly can make each other(and Gene Rayburn) laugh in heaven... I remember with much joy the laughs you gave me as a young child when I watched Match Game.... the years have just flown by! I hope Marcia Wallace shows up to give you a great sendoff!....

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments