Alleged Ellen Dognapper Files Police Report

10/17/2007 4:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Marina Baktis, the dog rescue woman at the center of the Ellen DeGeneres scandal, filed a police report yesterday because she is being harassed for her role in the ordeal.
View the docs
Baktis, along with business partner Vanessa Chekroun, runs the Mutts and Moms agency from which Ellen DeGeneres adopted her dog. Ellen then was unable to keep the dog, so she gave it to her hairdresser Cheryl's family, which includes her 12-year-old daughter Ruby. Baktis told "Access Hollywood" yesterday that they've begun receiving death threats. "My life is being threatened, this is horrible. I rescue dogs. I can't believe this."

Baktis filed the report with the Pasadena Police Department last night.

Previous 15 Comments | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70

Christopher Mahoney

October 22, 2007 -- ELLEN DeGeneres' latest doggy dealing wasn't the first time she'd passed along a pup she'd adopted, says a Los Angeles producer who gave the talk-show queen a pooch she quickly got rid of.

Kerri Randles says she gave DeGeneres a male mutt named Stormy two years ago, only to find out less than two months later that fickle Ellen had re-gifted him to a member of her staff.

"She may have had it for much less time than that. I only say two months because that's when I called to check on the dog and found out she no longer had it," Randles said. "I was totally shocked. I thought she was out of her mind."

DeGeneres may have passed along several other dogs over the years. Howard Stern said on his Sirius show that he'd heard she had done this nine times before.

Viewers were shocked Tuesday when DeGeneres tearfully told her viewers that the Mutts & Moms agency had gone to her hairdresser's house and confiscated the dog Ellen had adopted from the stylist. Mutts & Moms said she had signed a contract agreeing to return the dog only to the agency if she no longer wanted to care for it.

Randles said DeGeneres seemed a perfect pet owner at first, but she quickly discovered the daytime TV hostess was "neurotic and crazy."

When Randles took Stormy to NBC studios to meet DeGeneres, she was "drilled" for four hours by the star, her assistants and the crew.

"Everyone on the show and in her entourage got themselves all involved," Randles told Page Six's Marianne Garvey. "They were all coming into the dressing room, playing with the dog as if it were a new extension of Ellen."

DeGeneres finally decided to keep the dog for a few nights to see if he'd fit into her home. She suggested that Randles take the dressing room next door to "tell the dog privately that she'd be going home with Ellen."

"I told her I'd already had a talk with the dog. She didn't get my jokes," said Randles.

When she called to check on the pup a few days later, DeGeneres told her she'd decided to keep it. "She acted like she was keeping it for life," Randles recalled.

DeGeneres' rep did not return our calls.

Which New TV Shows Are You Watching?
TV's Hottest Males
VIDEO: Suri, Katie and Tom Take Manhanttan
SNEAK PEAK: Cruise's New Flick 'Lions and Lambs'
Vote For The Hunk Of The Week

Christopher Mahoney

" DeGeneres said. "Well, I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can't keep Iggy it goes back to the rescue organization."

She stated that it was her fault, not the family’s fault. When she had signed the papers, she didn't notice that it said if the dog was not wanted that it should be returned.

Mutts and Moms announced that Iggy has been placed with yet a new family. Baktis claims she has unfairly become the villain in this doggy drama.

Christopher Mahoney

Over the weekend, Ellen DeGeneres and Iggygate became less a three-hanky shaggy-dog story and more an examination of America's drunken stupor with celebrity, the power of Hollywood stardom — and one star's possible abuse of power.

Unless you're a myopic news junkie who's concerned with Iraq and that silly presidential campaign, the hot story last week was DeGeneres' on-air sobbing meltdown over Iggy, a terrier mutt that she adopted from a shelter, kept for 10 whole days, then gave away to her hairdresser, who has two young daughters. She did this despite agreeing to return the dog to the shelter if things didn't work out with Iggy.

That's the rule when you adopt from this shelter. If you decide you don't want to keep the dog, no problem — just return it to the shelter and it'll find another home for the dog. What is so hard to understand about this rule?

According to the shelter's attorney, the shelter actually tried to let the hairdresser keep Iggy. The shelter asked the hairdresser to come down and fill out the necessary paperwork. But the hairdresser refused to follow the rules. So the shelter repossessed the dog and gave it to a different family, one that filled out the paperwork and qualified to adopt Iggy — a family that followed the rules.

Cue the tears. DeGeneres went on her enormously popular television show, which pays her tens of millions of dollars a year, and wept like a spoiled brat. If you listened closely, you heard her admit that she broke the rules. But rules, shmules, when you're a celebrity. She said that she had Iggy neutered and paid the veterinarian "extra money" so Iggy could sleep in the vet's bed the night of his surgery instead of a creepy cold kennel. DeGeneres also said she paid thousands more for dog training. She said her hairdresser's young children became attached to Iggy and love him very much.

So pretty, pretty please, could the shelter drop its silly rules and let the hairdresser keep the dog?

Uh, no?

DeGeneres' scene created hysteria. The shelter was bombarded with calls and e-mails from DeGeneres' fans. Included in the bombardment were a couple of death and bomb threats, according to the shelter's owners. DeGeneres came back on television and asked her fans to knock off the blitz. Then she took off two days from her show, which only served to stoke the controversy.

Now, I understand why companies give stacks of money to celebrities for endorsements. A television star can sell a product — even when the product, in the case of DeGeneres and Iggy, is breaking the rules. Michael Jordan makes millions putting his name on basketball shoes that will not help you play like Michael Jordan. Authors get on their hands and knees and pray that Oprah Winfrey will select their book for Oprah's Book Club. Every book Oprah recommends becomes a guaranteed best-seller.

Oprah can sell the public on anything — except, according to the polls, Barack Obama's candidacy to become president.

Over the weekend, it seemed every talk host and comedian had something to say about DeGeneres and Iggygate. Howard Stern still was yipping about DeGeneres on his Monday show, suggesting that she might not deserve Dog Owner of the Year.

It was interesting how many commenters started their spiel with, "I like Ellen, but ... "

It was interesting, too, how many dog lovers were turned off by DeGeneres' sob story. HBO's Bill Maher really battered DeGeneres for being selfish, then took it too far when he said all women should be ashamed of her tantrum. Maher has pretty good credentials as a dog lover. "I'm on the board of PETA," he said.

Bill O'Reilly had comedian Dennis Miller come on his show to talk about DeGeneres. Miller also said he liked DeGeneres but admitted the two haven't gotten along since he made an unkind joke about her many years ago. Miller thought that DeGeneres should have tried to resolve her Iggy problem privately but sided with the talk-show host, saying her heart was in the right place.

O'Reilly also interviewed the lawyer who represents the animal shelter. The lawyer said, several times, that the shelter would have allowed DeGeneres' hairdresser to keep the dog — just come to the shelter and fill out the necessary paperwork. The lawyer said the hairdresser refused. So the shelter took back the dog.

The shelter's lawyer blamed the controversy on "Hollywood culture" and DeGeneres' "arrogance."

The shelter believes that small dogs do better in homes without small children. The hairdresser has two small children. Whether you agree that small dogs don't get along with kids is a different matter. That's the rule. DeGeneres agreed to the rule.

Then she disagreed — and sicced her fans on the shelter, which she snooted "is not a home, is not a family." DeGeneres is not naïve. By going public, particularly b

ridiculouz

I wonder if the people who are saying that Ellen signed a contract have even watched the videos. It was said time and again, that Portia signed the contract. AND if a contract is not legal, then there is no arguement. If the contract is legal,(which I suspect it was not, since this group was not recognized at the time, due to their paperwork not being in order) - then legally they could take Ellen (or Portia) to court. But they did not do that, they just took the dog. Since a pet is considered personal property, they stole property that they had previously sold to someone. Anyone can write a contract, that does not make it legal and binding,whether someone signed it or not.

Christopher Mahoney

Oh get real, why can not you even believe Ellens words? Is she that much of a God to you? The dog is gone and it's people like you that will not take no for an answer that sicken me. Ellen stated that she signed the paper (contract)! There are plenty of mutts this family can adopt to bother their neighbors with!!!!!!!

IggyLovesRuby

She rescues dogs?? Sounds like she didn't think that $600 was enough for someone like Ellen to have donated. So maybe she could get a few more $$$ from Ellen if she could make the little girl cry. The police only allowed her to take the dog because she hadn't followed thru and changed the name on the dog's micro-chip.

Death threats are certainly wrong. But I do hope she is thoroughly investigated for any other fraud she also may have been involved in. Shame on you Marina!! If you really rescued dogs, you would have put the welfare of the dog before $ signs.

reggie

damn where's micheal vick when you need him...

ridiculouz

Just because you write a 4 page essay on something doesn't mean that it's truth. It also doesn't mean that other people can't have their own opinions of the same situation. Just because someone doesn't agree with you about something isn't really a reason to get all angry and mean about it. It's ok for people to form their own opinions, and it isn't taking away from your opinion. There are more than two sides to most stories. Each opponents side, and then of course, the media side. Somewhere in between all that is prob the actual truth. We'll never really know what that is, so we can only form opinions based on what we see, read, and feel.

Just The Facts

This is the first article that I have read that appears to give the actual facts from interiews from all key parties involved. It appears from the article that Ellen Degeneres only had Iggy at her home for about 5 days. The dog trainer she hired to train Iggy had Iggy in his possession for 9 days out of the 2 weeks that Ellen was alleged to have had the dog. If the things stated in this artcle are correct, I believe that Ellen should be sued on this matter by Mutts and Moms.

Here is the article link below!

Erica

Ridiculouzz - you are 100% correct. - It is possible to spin this situation into many different positions, but animals and Livestock are Tangible Personal Property. They can Be sold, traded or given as gifts. Contracts are enforced in court, but the law still determines the outcome.

Erica

Even Peta is more on Ellens side than Moms and Mutts.
This Thing has been blown way out of proportion, By both sides.
Moms and Mutts chose how to handle this situattion, and Ellens reaction affected many people. Unfortunatly, due to the bad handling of this many people will absolutly not deal with Animal rescue groups going forward. I would never agree to such stipulations in a contract.

ridiculouz

For me, this has opened up so many questions. Like, how legal is it for rescues to maintian a vested interest in a dog that they place? I know I sure wouldn't like someone coming to my home months, or years after I adopted a dog from them, and taking my dog back for whatever reason. Also, how is it legal to take a pet, without a warrant, from someone's home? How is that any different than me taking one from someone's yard? Maybe I gave it to them, and I don't like how they are treating it, or maybe I just think they are mean to it, how much of a legal problem would it be for me to just take it? These are just a few of the questions this has raised at least for me. It does make me shy away from rescues with a no rehoming clause. And is a no rehoming clause even legal??
I have enough aggravation in daily life, I sure don't need more from a rescue. I would prefer adopting, rather than purchase, just because I know the dogs really need homes. But I do NOT appreciate being monitored for the rest of my life because of a pet adoption. Did anyone ever see that movie, EQUALIBRIUM? it's a great movie. Not about dogs, but just about control. And I think control is mainly what this whole thing is about. It's not about Ellen, or the hairdresser, or the Mutts agency, or even that specific dog. It's about control, and who has it and who wants it. And who will bite off their nose to spite their face just to have control.

Erica

I work with a lady, who has a family member who works for a very well known Animal Rescue group. They do very thorough work in placing animals in good homes and should be commended. However, there definition of "Rescue" is very liberal. They have no problem in "Liberating" or Rescueing a dog that they feel is not being taken care of to their standards. When I pointed out that under the letter of the Law that is theft they brushed me off. She also told me that they had to let go of Volunteers that are to Zealous in there beliefs and wouldn't adhere to set protocal. I really believe that Animal rescue groups need to be better regulated. Until they set a better standard, they will have a hard time getting people to believe them and to support them. Until that day, Pound pups are the best way to go.

ridiculouz

Ted - I totally agree. I think rescue groups should also be better regulated. If they are regulated at all. It seems to me they are a nation unto themselves. Do they even answer to anyone? I do support my local shelter, and I have adopted from them.However, they do not have a no rehoming clause in their contract. Not that I want to rehome, but you never know. I have also adopted, a long time ago, from a rescue that had a no rehoming clause. I could not keep the dog, long story, and they said it would be better for ME to rehome the dog, because if I gave it back, it would just sit again in a cage. I said, what about the no rehome thing? They said, oh that's kinda always been in there, but we don't go by that. It was really just put in there to keep people from adopting and then selling on a regular basis" So I rehomed the dog. All was well. Since that time, and even before, I have always kept the dogs I got. But I will NOT ever again(esp now) deal with anyone who has this clause. I prefer to consider my dogs part of the family and not just a rental.

coastal

WOW- good thing you got there when you did what a rescue - STEALING A PUPPY from a 12 year old..... They say what goes around comes around Mutts & Moms has got a lota Karma coming back -

How fortunate that you were able to replace iggy into a BRAND NEW CHILDS ARMS WITHIN HOURS OF STEALING HIM FROM THE LAST ONE. (how could the new family even accept this pet knowing the heartache that was just caused - who is to say that it won't happen to their kid?)
OKAY what is the magic $$$$ to get iggy back where he belongs I know you gotta start somewhere you mutt of a mom.........

Previous 15 Comments | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70