Why FBI May Have Seized Copperfield's Stuff

10/23/2007 5:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

David Copperfield is under the FBI microscope, and now TMZ may know why.

Last week, the FBI raided Copperfield's Las Vegas warehouse and seized digital camera equipment and a hard drive to a computer -- this, after a Seattle woman accused Copperfield of sexually assaulting her in the Bahamas.

Sources now tell TMZ Copperfield designed part of his show around "a system for picking up women." During his show, David goes into the audience and chooses women to come on stage. We're told that if David likes a girl, he'll use code words with assistants like "mama" and "secrecy." The assistants mark the women on a map of the inside of the Hollywood Theater at MGM Grand. After the show, the women are brought backstage -- and that's where the profiling begins.

The women are told that David may use them in his show when he comes to their hometown. They are then photographed with a digital camera, asked questions like, "What is your favorite men's cologne?" and "Where do you like to vacation?" We're told one of those vacation spots mentioned by staff is the Bahamas, where the accuser claims she was assaulted. Copperfield owns a cluster of islands in the Bahamas -- which he bought for $50 million.

This may explain the FBI's interest in David's camera system and hard drive. If the accuser is a woman who was brought on stage, the FBI would be interested in a possible M.O.

Copperfield's attorney re-issued his earlier statement in response to this story: "It is important these allegations be put into perspective. An unidentified woman has made serious allegations against David Copperfield. Although authorities have not revealed her identity to us, we know these allegations are false because David Copperfield has never forced himself on anyone."

U.S-male

As the two bitches said

Cut out the Hokus and POKEus

Valerie

What a freakin' waste of tax payers money. David is loaded, he can go get "tail" anywhere, and he doesn't have to rape women to get laid. The FBI is a JOKE lately, and they have no business getting involved in such a stupid waste of time. Why don't the FBI concentrate on matters of national security?

Cammy

He's taking a page out of Elvis' playbook...but David...you're NO Elvis.
Just another slimeball who thinks they can have anything they want.

KENN GRINDSTAFF

THIS IS SO STUPID, FIRST OFF I DONT THINK COPPERFIELD WOULD HAVE TO RAPE ANYONE, HE IS BEAUTIFUL, RICH, AND A STAR, NOW I WOULD BELIEVE IT IF SOMEONE RAPED HIM,

jb

We watched a jet disappear at his command. Now his money will disappear. Watch...POOF! Gone!

jb

abra cadabra...poof...there goes all his money on lawyers. And what does he have to show for it?

BryanS

I find it hard to believe that a man who can pay fifty million for a group of islands ,and has two million in cash just sitting in a warehouse has much trouble getting a date.

Jenny

This whole thing seems kinda off to me. I don't know if it's the after effect of the Duke lacrosse rape hoax or what but I'm skeptical.

At any rate, I'm going to presume innocence since we aren't even at the stage where charges have been filed. It's all allegations right now.

Animal Lover

LEAVE DAVID ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

wink

I use to think he was first class.....NO MORE......He's a creep of the first order now

wink

I would guess if the federal government is involved it's a little more than just some woman that he rebuked and she is trying to get even now !

ZXE

He won't do any time,he has too much money and connections. This will just fade away.
Quietly!

tg

That sounds pretty implausible. If you're doing that kind of thing you don't go telling all of these 'assistants' this kind of info.

Happened to me!

I went to one of his shows and this happened to me!! We got free front row seats and then I was called on stage. I had to hold a spider and he said "momma!!" and then after the show one of his workers called me back stage and asked me all of these weird questions, took my picture, my information and gave me his business card and said that David would be out to say hi to me and give me a picture - NONE of which I asked for. I even said that I was ok without a picture or meeting him. It was the weirdest thing ever!! Finally after waiting for awhile, I asked the assisant what was going on and that I didn't understand any of it. She just said that David picks females out of the crowd for possibly further shows and possible work on his "island"!! Totally freaked out! Finally, he came out and gave me a picture and took a digital photo of me - WEIRD!! And the craziest thing was that I was with my HUSBAND and told David about that!!! What a freak! This is kinda creepy to hear all this is happening now!!!!!!!! Creep!

JFetch

I guess you guys learned nothing from the Duke lacrosse scandal. So quick to call him a rapist when some random women makes an allegation against him without knowing any of the facts.

Innocent until proven guilty remember?