« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE

Takes CNN to the Mat

11/12/2007 4:21 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

It's a case of "he said -- but you didn't get to hear it."

Quizzed by CNN about whether he has ever used steroids, pro wrestler John Cena quickly responded, "Absolutely not!" -- then offered nearly three minutes of follow up. But when CNN made its edit to their special, "Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling," Cena's response was replaced with: "People conceive things because performance enhancing drugs have got the spotlight. It's a hot thing to talk about. I can't tell you that I haven't, but you'll never be able to prove that I have."

Needless to say, the folks at World Wrestling Entertainment are pissed! They've posted the original, unedited video on their official website, along with the following response:

"In a country in which the news media is highly suspect, and the quality of unbiased reporting has been thrown into the trash can, CNN has stooped to new depths. Notwithstanding the fairness, or lack therein, of CNN's recent piece entitled "Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling," perhaps the best example of how CNN misrepresents and unfairly presents their biased, if not illegal, point of view is the comparison of WWE's unedited video above to CNN's edited version. CNN's depiction of John Cena as it relates to steroids is not only professionally and morally wrong, but damaging to his character." Now 'dems fightin' words!

UPDATE: A rep for CNN has issued the following statement: "CNN has reviewed the footage of Mr. Cena and additional video from that interview has been added to the program which aired in replays of the program on Sunday." For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Susan

Ted Turner - CNN's founder, created the now defunct WCW wrestling. Does anyone know if he's the money behind the relatively new TNA wrestling?

CNN has always attacked the WWE because Turner couldn't crush it with his wrestling league, no matter how much money he poured into it.

SP

This is no different than how CNN and other media lie about what Rush Limbaugh and other conservitives say. Or even CHristians. They cover up for liars like Hillary CLinton & AL Gore (Who has made at least $100 Million off this Global Warming BS) and make up other crap for what they call real news. If you want the true news don't watch CNN,CBS,NBC,ABC, etc.. otr read Time, Newsweek, Etc.. They will tell you what they want you to hear to support their cause.

Harlin

Penny,

You'd better hope Cena's telling the truth. You know 10 wrestlers were recently suspended from the WWE because of violations of their steroid policy, right? Maybe Cena wasn't on the list, but every WWE and pro wrestling fan in general (including myself) needs to understand that looks are just as much a part of the wrestling world as performance. And we all know clearly the long-term consequences of steroid and performance-enhancing drug use.

This isn't the first time the WWE put out a statement basically "defending" itself and its wrestlers against media scrutiny. Truth is a lasting defense. However, if Cena is lying, then it'll be him and the WWE who will look most foolish.

Remember...Marion Jones said for YEARS that she never did steroids or any performance-enhancing drugs. She recently admitted she lied. What's to say Cena won't do the same years from now when he's not as popular as he is now?

Jack

You do not get that big WITHOUT steroids...PERIOD. If for one second you think he has not used them...you are a fool. Its impossible for the human body to get like that without the help of Drugs. END OF STORY. I used to watch wrestling and still do occasionally and its sad to see some of those guys. Who watched Ray Mysterio years ago...and look at him now. UNREAL

ybordinary

I'm sure this is a shock to a lot of sheep out there that believe everything the news tells them, but 90 percent of their investigative reporting is skewed to not only a liberal view, but for sensationalism.

Laure H

Oh yeah right Cena does'nt take "any kind' OF DRUGS IF YOU BELIEVE THAT THEN i HAVE A BRIDGE i'D LIKE TO SELL YOU. YOU DON'T get that big without using something.Also he put his foot in his mouth by first saying "Absolutely not" and then saying I can't tell you that I haven't but you'll never be able to prove that I have. What the hell kind of sense does that make? NONE. Either he has or he has'nt, simple as that.What a load of crap.

Shy

CNN only briefly added an additional video to their 7 p.m. (central time) Sunday replay; the other times on Sunday (10 p.m. & 1 a.m., central time), did not have the additional video. The additional video they added at 7 p.m. made it sound like Mr. Cena was speaking out of both sides of his mouth. I am disappointed with CNN; I thought they could be trusted.

Freysdottir

From age 12 to age 18, I spent five to seven hours a day in the gym lifting weights. I have a lean muscle build and I worked hard to keep it. I didn't want to be "cut" or build lots of mass, just be really strong, so I worked out a certain way to avoid mass. However, I knew plenty of people who did want mass, and they lifted in an entirely different way to build that mass. None of us wasgoing for sports or bodybuilding, so steroid weren't used, but i saw some of the guys get to the size of Cena and maintain it by a strict diet and lifting regiment. It IS possible,if one does it it consistently and strictly, and has the genetics, to get to that size without 'roids.You just have to be willing to do the work.

mikeirwin

Wow, wrestling calling the media fake. Ouch!

atombomb911

I commemorate the WWE and John Cena for not allowing this issue to just die. CNN officially stands for the Corrupt News Network, and they have proven that defiantly now. Cena deserves an apology, and the WWE does too, for having their reputation/credibility/career smudged, especially since it takes a while to establish those aspects!! I hope CNN finally gets what they deserve!

hurrafreak

First of all 56, he did NOT put his foot in his mouth. When asked if he had taken steroids he said absolutely not. If you listened and paid attention when he said that "i can't say that I havent but you'll never be able to prove that I have" he also explained what he was saying. He was getting at the fact that he "cant say that he hasnt" because NOBODY will believe, he'll be blamed for taking steroids no matter what. And when he said "but you'll never be able to prove that I have" he's telling you that you wont be able to prove it because every test he's taken since he was 17 PEOPLE has been NEGATIVE. The WWE's wellness program tests for steroids and any kind of growth hormone or anything else that might be used. So he didnt put his foot in his mouth he was just saying that IDIOTS arent gonna care what he says cause he's big.

And YES you can get that big without using steroids. YOU HAVE TO BE TOTALLY IGNORANT to tell me that you can't. Its all about diet, excersise, and will power. By your logic any man/woman who is in the olympics, strong man compeitions, worlds strongest man competitions, ANYTHING and they look huge and muscular has been on steriods. You have to be idiotic to tell me that EVERY SINGLE one of those huge people get that way because of steriods or human growth. The only reason we are even discussing this whole thing is because the minority screwed it up for the majority of the people who actually get big THE RIGHT way. Science tells us that with the right genes and the right attitude about weight lifting that you can get huge. John cena just happens to be one of those people. Of course there are going to be people out there who don't care what ANYBODY says, they could be in the room when Cena takes any steroid and hormone test, SEE THE "NEGATIVE" RESULT AND STILL BE CONVINCED THAT HE'S A USER. It's a shame that we live in a world where people don't think for themselves and are driven by the media, I feel sorry for you people.

Nya D. Taylor

Hi, I wrote an email to CNN and I would like to share it with all of you:

"An open letter to CNN:

I am forced to email you in regards to your so-called "investigation" report: Death Grip: Inside Pro Wrestling. In a segment featuring John Cena, a WWE wrestler, you say that he doesn't like being asked if he's used steroids. However, I went to wwe.com and viewed the UNEDITED interview. That told a VERY different tale. So, that led me to two conclusions: 1. You obviously think that wrestling fans are mindless, brainless, uneducated sheep that won't amount to much according to your "moral" standards. And 2. You are the most bias, communist, fascist, ratings hungry and soulless organization I've ever known! How can you devalue someone like that?! How can you tell the truth and lie?! Apparently, you've had years of experience. The news' job is supposed to bring truth, not the truth according to them! Obviously, you don't care one ounce about human dignity, just about ratings and how to get them, not matter what you have to do and in my mind, you've sold your souls to the devil. May God help you all."

What that too much?!

Paulie

First Cena says "absolutely not", he's never taken steroids. Then he says "to answer that question, I won't say I haven't, but you can't prove it." Oh yes I can, John. The proof's right here:

Pinnoccio's nose just keeps getting longer and longer.

Shame on WWE for using this piddle to divert attention from the pathetically bad performance given by their owner.

Fi

If you support WWE in this, it might not hurt to let CNN know that you aren't stupid enough to fall for everything they put on their station. A lot of WWE fans have been writing to CNN complaining about the editing on that interview. If this is something you're interested in doing, the CNN contact form is at: http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form6a.html?2

Sandman

hmmmm....didn't CNN try this same thing once with a Mick Foley interview? for shame...well in this situation I think that even Mick would say "John Cena is good, and CNN is faker than wrestling"....