Donda West -- Big Trouble on the Table?

11/13/2007 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources tell TMZ Donda West's operation lasted eight hours -- twice as long as it should have. We're told Dr. Jan Adams began the operation Friday morning and finished Friday evening. He then sent Ms. West home, rather than to a recovery center, which we're told, would have been appropriate.

Several doctors at Centinela Hospital where West was taken, tell TMZ they believe the excessive amount of time it took to perform the procedure strongly suggests either something went wrong during the operation or the doctor was just too inexperienced.

We're told she was dead the next evening at her home before paramedics arrived.

What's more, Dr. Adams is not Board Certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

TMZ reader

Kandi

If anyone says negative about this should pray for help. Much respect to Kanye at his time of morning! I seen never let a surgeon not certified perform surgery on you. This is why I will love myself the way I am. If you don;t need surgery don't do it! I hope Kanye gets through this and I will ray for him!

yevgenia

There's a big difference between minor and major cosmetic procedures. In minor ones such as limited rhinoplasty, the patient is under local anesthesia and is not intubated, meaning the patient breathes on his/ her own. In Donda's case, she was under general anesthesia and in conjunction was intubated. Being under general anesthesia is riskier and that's why I think it was irresponsible for the surgeon and his staff to discharge her home. Although staying overnight and being monitored at a recovery facility wouldn't have necessarily prevented further complications from happening, it would have assured prompt treatments. In other words Kanye and his family would not have to deal with grieving and the devastating thoughts of 'What If?'.

Rockwater

As a former O.R. nurse it has always caused me to wonder where are the regulations when it comes to "outpatient" procedures. Some are appropriate to send home and some are not. Since these surgeries are not driven by insurance payment then an overnight stay is appropriate in those where it would be safest for the patient. The office surgical suite is another thing that gives me the chills. Knowing how fast a surgical patient can get into trouble these offices are not equipped with what it takes to get a patient out of trouble. The down time to get a patient to the nearest hospital can be fatal. Deadly post op complications are fairly uncommon, however anesthesia for eight hours is one reason to put the patient in the hospital for the procedure. There the patient will receive appropriate pre screening, health history and pre op testing as ordered by the anesthesiologist. These simple things go a long way in insuring a good outcome.

JaimeNTexas

75. I hate to say this....but Kanye's mother brought this on hereself. She was a highly educated woman and inexplicably didn't check this guy out. Medical experts always warn you to check a physician's background before considering plastic surgery. Too, she had already been warned about potential heart complications from another physician. It's shocking that she wasn't more cautious before proceeding.

Posted at 11:32AM on Nov 13th 2007 by TMZ reader

No I think a lot of women have made the same mistake of using a doctor because he was highly recommended and lauded with TV Show Appearances. I myself have been using his facial products for years. Since I was 16 as a matter of fact. (I won't say how old I am now LOL) In the African American Community this man was highly recommended. He should have been the flippin Physician and flat out denied to operate on her like the other doctor did if that was true. I didn't think about the Diabetes take, and elective surgery for diabetics is like a no no. If it ain't necessary to save your life, you dont' need to get it. God I hope Kanye finds the truth. I think he well once he hears all the speculating going on. I know I sure as hell would. Then I'd crush Dr Jan Adams with my Bank Account if I was Kanye.

Baby Girl beantown

My heart goes out to Kanye because I know what it's like to loose the only one you thought you had left in the world. Common sense should have told The doctor to look into her medical history before performing such a proceedure. Now I hate to say this but being told "you may go into cardiac arrest due to anestesia" would have made me take a moment to do my home work ( trust, I am no doctor). I still do feel as though her death could have been avoided had the proper precaustions been taken!!!!! Blame Can't be put on the victim in this situation because had the doctor done the right thing... HIS JOB!!! this could have been avoided.

Doogie

I was at the Marian Anderson awards last night in Phila and Patti Labell asked everyone to say a prayer for Donda West. Richard Gere was the recipent of the award and he said we are all in this world together and need to practice love and patience .

yevgenia

Thanks JaimeNTexas, I think there's a lot of insensitive condemning of Donda West for so-called bringing it on herself. Yes, she should have done more research and is partly to blame is this whole chain of events, but the ultimate fault lies with the surgeon who performed the procedures. If there was no surgeon willing to perform the risky surgery, what was she going to do, operate on herself? Of course not, so the final responsibility rests with this charlatan of a surgeon. He probably not only saw $$$ but also future appearances on Oprah with Donda by his side showing off her new body.

As for the ignorant A-holes who link this surgeon's shadiness and ineptness to him being a minority or African-American, that way of thinking is so beyond moronic....I won't even stoop to that level and attempt to debate along those obvious lines of fallacy. I'm Asian and I work with many brilliant medical professionals of varying races and nationalities. Race has nothing to do with ineptness. This case is more about our own innate desire to attain physical perfection and the reckless physicians willing to compromise safety and integrity in the process.

just wondering

....IF it is true her surgery lasted 8 hrs, I can only imagine the pain that poor soul must have been in when the medication wore off, makes no sense at all for her to be transported home, even if she had nurses there. So many blanks still...obviously she needed to be in a medical enviroment that had the equipment to resuscitate her immediately....you have to wonder, without having any REAL facts yet, if she had stayed would things have turned out different for her...at least all this press will make some think twice...just all so sad!!

Some Faustkateer

I needed surgery after a facial fracture that also impacted my hearing. I thought I was smart to see someone Board Certified in Plastic Surgery AND Ear, Nose and Throat. I STILL ended up with a botched job.

But geez, all that money and she couldn't listen to the more responsible guidance..... Very sad. She might be alive had she followed the OTHER surgeon's advice--that is, the one who WOULDN'T do multiple surgeries simultaneously without medical clearance from an Internal Med doc. She also should have been sent to the HOSPITAL!!! NOT HOME, DAMMIT!

minx1

The third comment tha was posted was cruel and sickening. Since we are going "HOLLY ROLLING" (to the "IGNORANT IMP" that passed judgement on this wonderful lady) WE ARE NOT TO JUDGE ANYONE AND WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THAT SHE IS ROTTING IN HELL. HOW DO YOU KNOW??
YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR JUGEMENTS DON'T HAVE YOU ROTTING IN HELL. WE ALL LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES SO KEEP YOUR ROCKS IN YOUR DAMN POCKET!!!!!!!!!!!! IT ALSO STATES IN THE BIBLE THAT WE ARE LIVING IN THE LAST DAYS AND THE SIGNS ARE THAT PEOPLE DON'T HAVE COMPASSION FOR THEIR FELLOW MAN!!

Former Consultant

Tummy tucks (and the liposuction usually done during a tummy tuck) and breast reductions are extremely invasive surgeries regardless of what people may think. To have such surgery ,or any surgery done for that matter, by a physician who is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is just plain stupid and reckless. I personally do not feel a Tummy Tuck is a wise alternative to loosing weight and dieting. Once one loses weight and wants to tighten up loose skin, fine, but make sure a doctor checks out your health before cutting you open for hours on end on a table. WISE UP PEOPLE. DON'T LET VANITY OUT WEIGH GOOD JUDGEMENT!!!!

medicswife

AND JUST WHY SHOULD THIS HAUNT KANYE FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE?DID HE MAKE HER GO DO THIS?I DOUBT IT.

JBPrincess

This is sad and horrifying. How could something like this happen? You have this doctor hosting a show on Discovery. He even did an interview on Oprah. Oprah just offered one of her audience members a tummy tuck with this same doctor. I guess Oprah didn't check his credentials either. R.I.P Donde West.

Travere

to spend money on changing ourselves. More women should help women to keep what they have and not spend money on serious procedures like Donda did.

I am thorougly disappointed that a black man and not board certified got Kanye's mom. She should have spent more money and picked a white dude that took the time to become qualified through proper education. Didn't she know about his June 2007 procedure that the woman is suing him over?

May the higher power bless Kanye during this senseless loss of his mother and sue the pants off this fake fake fake doctor and donate it to a foundation that will help women not do this themselves.