Donda West -- Big Trouble on the Table?

11/13/2007 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Sources tell TMZ Donda West's operation lasted eight hours -- twice as long as it should have. We're told Dr. Jan Adams began the operation Friday morning and finished Friday evening. He then sent Ms. West home, rather than to a recovery center, which we're told, would have been appropriate.

Several doctors at Centinela Hospital where West was taken, tell TMZ they believe the excessive amount of time it took to perform the procedure strongly suggests either something went wrong during the operation or the doctor was just too inexperienced.

We're told she was dead the next evening at her home before paramedics arrived.

What's more, Dr. Adams is not Board Certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

randomthoughts

While complications can occur after ANY surgery -- a skin tag removal can become infected or bleed -- this doctor's judgment in West's case appears to have been very poor. Furthermore, I for one am tired of non-board-certified "celebrity" plastic surgeons getting ridiculous amounts of TV exposure on these reality shows, which becomes lucrative for their practices, while thousands of careful, qualified and ethical surgeons remain relatively unknown. Just because someone claims to be a "top" surgeon doesn't mean (s)he is even qualified to perform certain procedures. Anyone can claim to be a "cosmetic" surgeon, even if they have ABSOLUTELY NO PLASTIC SURGERY TRAINING WHATSOEVER. These celebrisurgeons may make for good TV but many of them poorly represent the profession of plastic surgery.

It's time that the public stop patronizing the businesses of charlatans and sleazemongers who are an embarrassment to an otherwise noble and valuable profession -- one which helps countless individuals through reconstructive as well as aesthetic procedures every year.

I LOVE MY MOMMA

MAN SORRY FOR YOU LOST KANYE.. I REMEMBER WHEN YOU CAME INTO MY DENTAL OFFICE I WAS THE ONE HELPED IN YOUR SURGERY.. WHEN YOU WERE DOING THAT FIRST VIDEO AFTER YOUR CAR ACCIDENT.. YEA I TOOK GOOD CARE OF MY FRIEND. NOT ONLY DO THE SURGEON PLAY A BIG PART BUT SO DO WE AS THE ASSIGNED NURSE NOT NEVER WOULD I HAVE LET MY PATIENT GO HOME AFTER A 8HR SURGERY. MY MOTHER WAS IN THAT DIRTY HOSPITAL ONE TIME AND WE HAD HER MOVED QUICKLY.. SO MAYBE NOW NOT ONLY SHOULD THEY LOOK INTO THE DOCTORS AND STAFF BUT THE HOSPITAL AS A WHOLE.. MY PRAYERS R WITH YOU..

YOUR NURSE RITA..

@nYah

First off that's not kool to say she got a GREAT DEAL even if she did the woman is dead...dang you don't have any respect!!! However like some else yea I'm surprised it took so long to come out...make me wonder...

Tummy Tucked Myself

I had a breast reduction revision (minor tweaking) and a tummy tuck 4 years ago - I stayed overnight in the hospital (not an outpatient situation). I cannot imagine sending someone home the same day... The stitches can tear I was cathertized to make sure I didn't have to get up at all. Not to mention the possibility of internal bleeding and infection!

Dr. Goddess

R.I.P. Dr. Donda West

Extreme Makeover © 2005
by Dr. Goddess
(an excerpt from the one-woman show)

If I could just

Face them all
And they would say
Hey beautiful
Let's go have a ball
Cuz
Everyday, everywhere I be
Somewhere in print, magazines and on the t.v.
Created wants and manufactured dreams
Team up on me and say
I'm not worth the breath I'm sucking in today
But that's okay
There's another way
To display
Who I really want to be

Extreme
Makeover
Time to take over
This culture
In extreme ways
With supreme displays
Of pristine mental acuity
Travel through my spiritual maze
Because
Everytime you try to come clean
Capitalism, sexism, racism engenders low self-esteem
Making you want to be everything other than who you be

And we choose
And lose
To engage in secret wants, desires
Burning embers and fires
Inside
That whisper
"Hey Queen,
Do the Extreme!"
Makeover
They'll help you rake over
Your eyes
Your hair
Your nose
Your face
Anything you feel is a disgrace
Make it disappear
Overnight
Or in six weeks
Of time
Have people clapping
When you step out from behind
The curtain
but are you certain?

What if
It could be
The other way around, you see?
What if you looked in the mirror and said
Before you make me swallow this curse of self-hatred,
You'll be dead
first!
Primp your afro
Caress the nose
Highlight the cheekbones
Slip on the hose
Up around those
big thighs, no matter the size
Rounded knees
and hamstrings
No need to hide
Cuz I'll be sayin'
I'm dr. goddess,
gonna win this race
I got
long legs
big breasts
and a cute ass face

But the utmost importance
Is what's here in my head
All my synapses firing
From the books that I read
Ain't gonna takeover
One inch of my physical self
Because the vast stretch of my wealth
Is resting on this inner shelf
It's time to come clean
how obscene it would be
making over as extreme
a supreme being

©January 25, 2005 Dr. Goddess / Kimberly C. Ellis, Ph.D. All Rights Reserved Absolutely no reposting or reprinting without explicit permission by the author:
drgoddessarts@gmail.com). www.myspace.com/drgoddessarts www.drgoddess.com

Dear All:

It is entirely heartbreaking to hear of the untimely death of Dr. Donda West, scholar and celebrity mom of hip hop artist, Kanye West. Based on the most recent accounts, Dr. West died of complications from cosmetic surgery (breast lift and tummy tuck), following refusals from one doctor and contested treatment from another:

VH1.com
TMZ.com
Bossip.com

What struck me most about this story is that people assume that Dr. Wests’ having been a tenured professor and Chair of an English Department would somehow make her (or any of us) immune from poor body image, resulting from the constant bombardment of imagery advocating our indulgence in self-hatred, vanity and/or the need for acceptance and love in this world. When I wrote this poem, “Extreme Makeover”, it was after constant arguments with friends and myself over the “value” of plastic surgery. We wondered what our decisions would be “if we only had enough money” to be in the position to make a real choice. I am extraordinarily struck by surgeon, Dr. Adam’s alleged statement that Dr. West struggled with this decision, granting consent and then halting the procedure, over a four month period. I doubt this was a scheduling issue and theorize that it was an internal battle. It’s sad to read of this story, in particular, after hearing voluptuous, chanteuse, Jennifer Hudson, proudly state “I have the height of a model, the breasts that people pay for and the lips that everybody wants, so why should I change? I wouldn’t change myself for anything or anybody. That will never happen.”

As artists, as poets, we are always seeking to speak and heal ourselves and the world. Out of respect for our struggles to resist the urge to make us all Barbie dolls, the tragic fall of Dr. West and a celebration of Hudson’s words, I offer this following poem. It’s an excerpt from “Dr. Goddess!: A One Woman Show”, which is currently on tour.

For more information and to see the trailer, visit: www.myspace.com/drgoddessarts or email: drgoddessarts@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Kimberly C. Ellis, Ph.D.
aka
Dr. Goddess

SalinasSandi

Money and greed will drive people to do anything. I understand that Ms. West had a pre-existing condition that a Board Certified Surgeon refussed to do. Vanity and what America perceives as beauty must have therefore over clouded her otherwise good judgement and she went running to this hack probably to fit into a special dress for a special occasion. Some surgeons have no ethics, they only see money (example: Michael Jackson, Cher and the lady who had her face turned into the face of a lion) are now being held accountable...no matter how much money they have been offered. It's also helpful to have an advocate with you, someone you trust, someone who can ask and hear objective questions. The patient may not always be thinking clearly in terms of the risks.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family!

Missy

so true. how the hell is this guy on the discovery channel? i wonder if those guys on dr. 90210 are all certified or have a long history of malpractice. it should've come out sooner, and they should've investigated who;s doing their surgery better

jenny

There are a lot of plastic surgeons in practice who are not board certified in plastics surgery. I have heard Dr. Rey from the Dr. 90210 show is a general surgeon and not board certified in plastics either.

jenny

It's important to be certified in the field you are practicing. You wouldn't want you doctor to be trained in removing an appendix or intestines and then operating on your breasts instead. Board certification also guarantees that the doctor has gone through a rigorous process of examinations and evaluations and certified by the Board of Plastics Surgery. Otherwise, any doctor with a license can operate on you and hope he does not have a bad outcome and get sued.

GasDoc

First, Board Certification is nothing more than a test (confusing but not rigorous) and as we all know there are good test takers who are lousy at their jobs. I'm not BC at present, but have had near zero complications because I treat every patient like family. Too many of my cowboy "certified" colleagues don't and I've seen/heard of their unnecessary disasters. Do NOT rely on board certification as the sole determinant of what makes a good MD.
Two, given the case finish time and the overall length of surgery, she should have been a "24-hr hold". But that's probably not what a Beverly Hills Surgi-Center wants to do. And it's not the breast aug but the tummy tuck (with the assumed liposuction) is what'll harm you - incredible fluid shifts take place and huge amounts of lidocaine are injected.

doctom

To do this surgery the physician should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. The logo is a broken circle. There are other "boards" with official sounding names which are not approved by the committee on graduate medical education of the AMA. This can be confusing even for well educated people like Mrs West. Shame on the Discovery Health Channel for featuring (and promoting) a surgeon who is not board certified. This is irresponsible.

Common sense should prevail

My heart goes out to Kanye West for the loss of his mother. They seemed to have had a very loving relationship and I am sure this will be hard to get over for a long time.

Although Kanye's mom's was obviously a very intelligent woman it seems that vanity prevailed and she paid a large price for it. This is a lesson for everyone thinking of having plastic surgery. I am all for improving some part of you that you are not happy with but one must be sensible. If you went to a surgeon who explicitly said that it would be very dangerous to perform a procedure it seems that you should take that advice very seriously! Kanye's mom was apparently determined to have the surgery in spite of what she knew about her condition. On top of that she allowed this doctor to send her home when she should have at least insisted that she be monitored in the hospital afterwards. Some of us less fortunate finacially might have opted to go home but I am sure that money was not an issue with Ms. West.

I myself want to have the same exact surgery that Ms. West had and quite frankly after hearing about her initially, I'd change my mind. But after hearing some of the facts I realized that a lot of mistakes had been made that I don't plan on making. I am going to do all I can prior to surgery to ensure that it will be safe.

This note was in no way intended to bash Kanye's mom because no one should lose a loved one in this manner. It is senseless and devastating. I only wanted to emphasize the lesson here for us all. God bless Kanye and may the loving thoughts of his mom bring comfort to him in the ensuing days, months and years ahead.

Tianna

This is a very sad story. I was SHOCKED to hear this sad & tragic news of Kanye Wests monther's death. I was even more shocked to hear that it (her death) was the likely result of complications following a plastic surgery procedure! I think alot of people in the industry look at plastic surgery as "not a big deal" (so to speak), when in fact it is a VERY BIG deal, because you are undergoing SURGERY, you are going to have a surgical procedure, which can warrant some serious complications if a person is not very careful, in selecting the doctor (background checks ...), as well as the facility/hospital (back ground history).

It was said that she seeked the advice of another doctor prior to Jan Adams & she was told that the 2 procedures was too risky given her age, he advised her to get a cardiac test done (on her heart), & said that her request to be sent home through recovery after the surgery was NOT a good idea & she had been warned of the risks of doing that. But I guess she went against the wiser advice of the first doctor & found this particular doctor who apparently cared more about the MONEY rather than Donda Wests HEALTH. I watched this mans show "Plastic Surgery Before & After" so many times on discovery health & this same doctor (Jan Adams) seemed to know what he was talking about & appeared to be this wonderful Plastic surgeon. But since Kanye Wests mom DIED after he performed her surgery ALOT of DARK & HORRIBLE stories are coming out about this particular doctor & the many patients that has SUED him in the past. Discovery Health channel has CANCELLED his show too! It's ashame that someone always has to lose their life before the truth starts showing up as clear as day.

very SAD situation.

Tianna

Let this be a lesson to all.

Be Happy with the way your are!

unless it is an absolute last resort or option, due to a pre existing medical health condition, Stay out from under the surgeons scalpal!!

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9