TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

Dennis Quaid's Newborn Twins in Medical Nightmare

11/20/2007 6:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid's newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

Sources tell us the twins -- Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace -- were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources say they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We're told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.

We're told late Sunday night, both babies started to "bleed out." Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we're told they are stable.

The twins were born to Quaid and wife Kimberly Buffington November 8 via surrogate.

A rep for Quaid did not immediately return our call for comment and there was no immediate comment from Cedars.

We're told a technician stored the Heparin in the wrong place, and when a nurse grabbed the medicine for the babies without looking -- it was the wrong dosage.

A source says the babies are now being given Protamine, which reverses the effects of Heparin.

UPDATE: We're told as many as thirteen patients at Cedars were mistakenly given the overdose of Heparin, but the effects are more critical because of the age and weight of the twins.

Story developing ...

547 COMMENTS

No Avatar
451.

candi    

Really TMZ should give more details about what they release to the public. They only give just enough to get us all fired up and start blaming others. "IF" anyone is to blame (i donot even like that word) it would be the person or person's that stored the Heparin.Granted the nurse that took the heparin off the shelf should of double checked.I really think there is more to this than we know. EMZ does not know or they would of done covered their tracks. It is a terrible,sad,heartbreaking thing that has happened and i do hop the babies pull through this. I know who ever gave the dosage has to be wanting to die themself. I donot want to blame anyone at this point because we donot know the whole story and all that was involved. What do you think?

2445 days ago
452.

From Wichita    

I work in the medical field and I know that if if the nurse would have looked at the label and dosage on the bottle she would have saved herself and alot of patients alot of trouble.

My heart goes out to the twins and I pray they will recover with no damaging effects.

2445 days ago
453.

Melissa    

prayer angel, please accept my apology! my comment was directed to Darlene R.N., but for some reason the number of her post keeps changing..it just changed again to 164! i should have been more specific. sorry, again! melissa

2445 days ago
454.

Kathy    

Good lord! You always look at the friggin bottle of something before you pull it up. I think we are more careful in a veterinary hospital!

2445 days ago
455.

phantasma    

This is just SO sad...I hope the doctor who placed viles in the wrong dept. and the nurse who gave those babies the dosage get FIRED...as a mother I can't even imagine the pain Dennis and his wife is going through...

2445 days ago
456.

douchebag    

Get Better sources...a 1000x increase would have killed those babies....pretty much 5 mins after the drug was administered. that dosage would kill and adult in the same amount of time.

2445 days ago
457.

Karen    

God Bless

2445 days ago
458.

Karen    

God Bless The Quaid Family.

2445 days ago
459.

Karen    

God Bless the nurse who made the mistake. I hope she doesn't give up her career because of a mistake, We all make them. Hers just seems huge because the family is famous. All you can do is learn from it,and put it behind you(after the babies are released of course) this is 1 thing she will NEVER forget to do again. It is sad for everyone involved.

2445 days ago
460.

CassieCH    

My thoughts and prayers go out for the precious babies and the Quaid family. I also pray for the nurse involved in this heparin overdose. I am a health professional and I can tell you that hospitals put a lot of safeguards in place to try to prevent medication errors, but you can not eliminate the human factor. There are mistakes made by all people in all professions. A mistake by an airline mechanic can have dire consequences. A mistake made by an electrician can electrocute someone. A mistake made in an underground coal mines can kill the miners. A mistake made in a foundry can quickly kill a lot of people. A mistake made driving down the interstate can kill innocent people. Do you get my point? There are a lot of professions that have dire consequences if mistakes are made. But, it seems that when a health care professional makes a mistake, personal derogatory remarks are made against "nurses" or "doctors" in general. That is not fair. When a group of coal miners are killed do you bad mouth all coal miners? When a bus driver makes a mistake and kills a bus load of people, do you make fun of all bus drivers? Please, do not be so narrow minded or hasty to bad mouth nurses and doctors. Yes, nurses and doctors realize what the consequences could be when mistakes are made. But, we take that chance as we care for people and treasure life, and love what we do. By no means to I make excuses for health care persons that make mistakes, but I hate to hear people bad mouthing the health care workers. If you can do a better job, maybe you should choose a career where you clean bedpans, suction tracheostomies, clean out infected wounds....... I think you got my point.

2445 days ago
461.

hsmom03    

This happens far too often, I hope the babies will be okay. It happened to me once - well, almost. The nurse mis-read the dosage for my allergy shot. I always look at the needle, so noticed that it was full instead of the small amount I usually got. I asked her to double-check and sure enough, I was right! She said it was a good thing I caught it, or it could have killed me. I guess it wasn't my time to go, but SCARY!

2445 days ago
462.

Diana    

God can turn horrible situations into miracles. All believers pray there is power in agreement!

2445 days ago
463.

bIUBBuLa    

Maybe these high priced hospitals should start hiring people who can READ labels!

2445 days ago
464.

divalasvegas    

This mistake of giving Heparin in massage doses seems to happen quite a bit. How would anyone think that newborn babies would require a massage dose of that kind of drug? At what point does common sense kick in? Does anyone read labels before they administer medication of this sort? If it it's a label issue, change the *$#@ labels. I understand that mistakes happen, but how do you give a newborn 10000 units of anything? I have come across quite a few medical professionals who are very detached from the human part of the equation of patient care and seem annoyed that they have to take care of PEOPLE. If you hate people, why are you in the profession that you are in? My heart aches for the Quaids. I hope and pray that their babies are okay.

2445 days ago
465.

vincenza    

How terrible! I hope these beautiful babies will be okay, especially with Thanksgiving here. They have so much to be thankful for this year and then this had to happen to them. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

2445 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web