Chelsea Handler's New Gig: Bigot?

11/25/2007 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Trying to joke about race can get you in a lot of trouble -- just ask Michael Richards. Last night outside of Koi, supposed comedian Chelsea Handler tried to do the same thing and, like Kramer, failed miserably.

She was approached by two cameramen -- one of whom was Chinese, the other (our guy) was African-American. Chelsea quipped that it was "crazy that you guys all travel together, Asians and Blacks. That's amazing." And they can vote now, too!

After a failed joke about Dog the Bounty Hunter, somehow a question about Britney Spears turned into Chelsea saying the Chinese photog was from "Vietcong-nam." When it was pointed out that he was, in fact, Chinese, Chelsea just said, "Whatever."

Guess she's the kind of comedian you just have to laugh at -- not with.

Bell

The problem with our society these days, is anyone can say anything insulting (no matter how bad), as long as they end it with.. "Oh, it's just a Joke". I've come to believe that there really isn't such a thing as a "joke", anymore.

jane

messed up! if these jokes had been about african -americans ppl would be all over it! i'm asian and it was completely offensive.

JM in San Diego

I have become so-o-o jaded that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Chelsea Handler's comments were part of a put-up job -- a 100% press agent bogus stunt. What she said sounds contrived to be vaguely offensive, but not nuclear-nasty, if you get my drift.

I'm not into the LA comedy club scene. Even so, I'm dubious that she could be so careless and/or so stupid as to commit a blunder like this, especially right after Michael Richards and Don Imus. The cred' just isn't there, friends.

Now, she's the lead item on the premier splash 'n' trash entertainment web site. Mighty suspicious.

Mrs. Harvey Levin

Oh please TMZ...... Stop trying to make controversy. This is noting.

deja' vu all over again!

Granted not every comedian can be as brillient as seinfeld or burnett, who can make anything funny without ever being crude, racist, sexisist or homophobic in any way, but geez, can't chelsea handler ever tell a single joke based on pure wit or intelligence? The answer to that would be a "NO!"

This bitch is a one trick pony...just making her goober-face and insulting people based on race or recycling tabloid trash. she's never original, not clever or witty in the slightest way. she ALWAYS needs to go to the "crass well" to get a laugh.

what a no-talent loser!

Steven Segall PIMP # 1

I've seen her as a co-host on The View a few times, but I can't believe that she is 32! My Mom looks better at 49 than she does.

Hey Chelsea, lay off of the hard living.

You are looking way too old looking for "32"...

You look older than you should if you are really 32.

You look like Lindsay Lohan's Mom! Please take care of yourself better.

Get some help for the obvious hard living that you're doing.

Best of luck to you.

Peace out....

lolo

Seriously, everyone needs to stop being so freakin' sensitve. I don't see any posts complaining abut Chris Rock talking about those "white folks" or Larry the cable guy making fun of rednecks....everyone just needs to get over themselves already!

Steven Segall PIMP # 1

1. It's A JOKE for F's sake...jesus h christ on a popsicle stick....we have become a nation of hall monitors. YEESH!

Posted at 12:33PM on Nov 25th 2007 by Sarah

===================================================

Thanks to GWB.... !!!
He's made a mockery of our Nation.
Yeesh is right Sarah.
So much credit it due to GWB. He is the first one to stand up and speak his great words of wisdom (LOL) about all things. Including tolerance.
Thanks to GWB, we now have become a nation desensitized to words of hate.

Is the "N" word acceptable? It will never be in my book.
Maybe Chelsea is trying the Ann Coulter attempt?

Just a guess.

She is not funny. Michael Richards was funny. His use of the "N" word wasn't.

BTW, what has she done that makes her on the TMZ site?

Mia

If she had any common sense, she would shut up and save the sarcasm for her paid gig. Drunk does not equal stupid. She deserves to get served.

Kitty

2. She is so off the wall, she is great!!!!!

Go Chelsea, she cracks jokes about everyone, don't take offense, remember this is the same woman who feed people cheese and said it was breastmilk cheese, if you censor humor, what's left a bunch of republicans

Posted at 12:19PM on Nov 25th 2007 by Adrienne
**********************************************************************************************
I'm a Republican and I watch Chelsea Lately every night.I think she's funny as hell.
I do take offense to people stereotyping other people because of politics though.That's just stupid.Judging people on what their voters registration.Heh.
I also watch "Democrat" shows like The Simpson's,Family Guy and SNL.So I have a pretty good sense of humor.
Need I remind you that Tipper Gore is responsible for putting labels on every record and cd we buy today?That would be censorship.All because the guys in 2 Live Crew were horny.Talk about Republicans not having a sense of humor!What is with her?Al must not put out.

Kitty

Thanks to GWB.... !!!
He's made a mockery of our Nation.
Yeesh is right Sarah.
Thanks to GWB, we now have become a nation desensitized to words of hate.

Is the "N" word acceptable? It will never be in my book.
Maybe Chelsea is trying the Ann Coulter attempt?

Just a guess.

She is not funny. Michael Richards was funny. His use of the "N" word wasn't.

BTW, what has she done that makes her on the TMZ site?

Posted at 3:06AM on Nov 26th 2007 by Chelsea is a sad nobody.
See Tipper Gore comment.
Also,don't you remember segregation?Rosa Parks?MLK Jr.?The Civil War?The Revolutionary War?Our country has been divided since it began.You can't blame Bush for everything.People have used words like that for many,many generations.Including you.Maybe not the N word,but you have used words of hate and intolerance.You just did.Fortunately we all have that right :-)

Kitty

That's a very good point Lamont Holmes.I agree with every word you said.
I dislike being stereotyped because of what my voters card says because while it might say Republican,it doesn't mean that I vote strictly Republican or believe everything Republican politicians say.I guess you could say I'm more of a centrist.So I don't like it when every one blames everything on politics.We all have our own individual views and should be allowed to express them however we see fit.
I am a bit on the sarcastic side myself,and I do see a lot of humor in people in general.Especially while reading this site.I would have never imagined that Britney Spears,Paris Hilton ect. would become the top story on every entertainment site on the web.So threads like this are interesting.You get more of a feel of what people REALLY think on important issues like racism,homophobia etc.
Good post.

Dave

She can be funny as hell. Chelsea is no racist, she uses racial humor. Stop censoring people. She is just trying to get people to watch her lonely show. I think most minorities love her.

sea salt

32? she looks 45.....

ashamed

I think she looks like Elizabeth Shue.