From Brit to Liza, Fur Flies for Femmes

12/4/2007 4:02 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Looks like some celebs still aren't hiding from wearing a dead animal -- in the name of fashion.

Even as the anti-fur movement gets more vociferous, TMZ -- in just one weekend -- spotted Britney Spears, Liza Minnelli, Eve, Mary J. Blige, Sharon Stone and even Madonna fur-nished with all manner of fur-ish coats. We're told that Britney proudly took her shagerrific (and very real fur) coat at her birthday party in Bel Air.

PETA, as ever, took Liza to task for her outerwear, telling TMZ in a statement that it "hopes that Liza, who abstained from fur for years, gets back on the wagon of compassion." As for Sharon Stone, the anti-fur brigade was less charitable, saying, "Put your fur coat away, Sharon."

Reps for Eve, Sharon Stone, Liza and Madonna haven't yet gotten back to us about the provenance of their clients' coats.

One notable exception -- Sarah Jessica Parker, wearing a lovely Star Wars-esque fur coat, usually, we're told, wears fake fur.
Click to see: Fur or Faux?

annoyed

And pimp, congratulations for being FIRST. Enjoy your three minutes of fame. The other kindergartners are so jealous.

Taylor

Who is PETA or TMZ to tell people what they should and should not wear? And why does TMZ give PETA a voice?

I do not wear fur, just, well I don't care to. However I am seriously thinking about buying a fur jacket. I hate it when people try to push their ideals onto others.

Butler

Well, both sides aren't that great. On the fur side, you have people killing animals for fashion. With the peta friendly side, you have people buying products made in sweatshops. I would like to see what the peta people have to say about their victoria's secret garments coming from sweatshops. That was some interesting news to hear on CNN. I guess it all comes down to what exactly you want to kill not to be cold.

BeKindToAnimals

How come people say when you care about animals you don't care about peolple. That just proves my point that people don't have any respect for any other life on the planet. If we were talking about babies being killed this would be a completely different argument. I am not trying to push my views on anybody I just wish people could see it for what it is...MURDER. I truly hope that whoever thinks this is ok then I hope the same thing happens to them. Being skinned alive is torture. Even eating meat is funding torture to all the animals on the factory farms. OPEN YOUR EYES and do a little research to see what you are actually supporting and eating. Watch Meet your Meat and then tell me to shut up.

I am proud to be a vegan so I will not contribute to this torture.

aSiF

PETA turned militant and turned people off. They have no love for mankind but will throw themselves in front of a bus to save a frog. Rock those furs ladies and gents!

sammy

To Real

You're 100% correct. Couldn't have said it any better.

aSiF

Be Kind to Animals - you're way out there, huh? You call meat eaters murderers and hope they are skinned alive? Oh, yeah you really care for mankind. You eat plant life, it's alive until you pick it....doesn't that matter? How do you know that plants don't have feelings? We performed a experiment in the 3rd grade, one plant was placed in a nice sunny corner and we talked to it everday - it thrived. The other plant was placed in a cabinet and neglected - it died. So, if a plant thrieves when it's loved and fed (like animals) how can you be sure that plant life doesn't feel? Afterall, plants are living things!

boredatwork

response to post #10...because they're retards!

BeKindToAnimals

Real,
Good comparison. I think science already proved that fruits and veggies don't have brains.

GOOD ARGUMENT. I care for mankind more than you know. I just think people who think like you are threat to all life on this earth.

aSiF

I'm a threat to all of earth? WOW - thank you for proving my point! I am however surprised you "think" about science.

BeKindToAnimals

Real,
Why don't you go eat a one of those healthy hamburgers filled with all of those healthy steriods, antibiotics and god knows what else. MMMMMMMMMM

Merry Christmas

Posted at 4:38PM on Dec 4th 2007 by BeKindToAnimals

It's people like you that irritate me. Get off your "I'm better than you because I am a vegan" crap. I would love to know what you contribute to. Unless you are living in a shack with no electricity, toilet or running water, and wear burlap sacks for clothing and shoes, please get off your superiority trip.

Not eating meat would be a bigger crime. Then it would just go to waste. People who eat meat respect that an animal has given its life so that we may live. There is no way on God's green earth that this entire planet will go vegan. Are you horrified because poor people eat meat? They do have to eat something, don't they?

I hope for the record you do not own leather - of any kind - you drive a Hybrid vehicle - you don't waste electricity - water - don't use hair products - basically enjoy the comforts of 2008, which are not really eco-friendly.

Baseball Junkie

BeKindToAnimals, Be a vegan if you want to. That's your choice. But studies have shown that broccoli and cauliflower (yes, broccoli and cauliflower) reacted to the same sort of stimulus and with the same sort of electrical wave patterns as mammals. They feel pain. Does this mean they think? I don't know. But I'm not going to stop eating broccoli and cauliflower. I'm not going to stop eating meat and I'm not going to stop wearing natural clothing, both fiber and leather. Like somebody said above, the biggest reason I don't wear fur is that it cost too damn much. If I had $900 to spend on a piece of clothing, I'd give it to Doctors Without Borders instead. Help people in need.

aSiF

Be kind.........have you ever heard of free range, no steriod produced meat. I actually pay extra to a co-op for my meat. I'm a meat eater and I'm also trying to stay healthy. I eat a well balanced diet, which includes protein and dairy and I exercise. I must say, I look pretty damn good in a pair of jeans. If you don't want to eat meat, don't but please don't try to tell me or others what to do. Human beings eat meat - sorry (or not so). Calling names and wishing ill will on your fellow mankind proves my original point.

BeKindToAnimals

I don't think the whole world is going to turn vegan and I am not a member of PETA. I just don't want to torture these animals anymore. What they go through is beyond comprehension. I don't want them to suffer anymore just so we can have something tasty to eat or something pretty to wear. We have so many healthy and tasty alternatives. What they are feeding these animals is not even healthy for people to eat. I just wish people would have more of a heart. If you google factory farming you will see what happens. I volunteer my time to help stop this and try to change legislation so the animals will be treated more humanely. They do no deserve to suffer. I know to much know so I will not eat meat or wear leather or even buy any product that has animal products in them. I hate watching them suffer. When I hear people say that they are ok with this, it really upsets me. People are either ignorant or they don't care and that is the most upsetting thing about this.