Will Smith -- Hitler, Schmitler; He Wasn't That Bad

12/24/2007 4:22 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Will Smith's rep sent TMZ the following statement from him, which reads: "It is an awful and disgusting lie. It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen. I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation. Adolph Hitler was a vile, heinous, vicious killer responsible for one of the greatest acts of evil committed on this planet."

On the day before Christmas, a leading Jewish group is kvetching loudly about Will Smith's recent suggestion that Adolf Hitler wasn't all bad, calling it "ignorant, detestable, and offensive." Oy.

The Jewish Defense League is calling on Barack Obama to repudiate Smith's comments, and wants theaters to pull Smith's new flick "I Am Legend" from their screens. Smith told a Scottish paper that Hitler "didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' ... I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.'" What kind of meshuggeneh talk is that?!

Smith's words, say the JDL, "spit on the memory of every person murdered by the Nazis. His disgusting words stick a knife in the backs of every veteran who fought (and sometimes died) to save the world from the intentions of Adolf Hitler."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

my

What a dumb ass.......scientologist loser

MH

Wrong choice of words Will.

Regards

J

The total low IQ low class racist boy shows his true neoliberal radical true colors - boycott this racist fascist idiot.

felicej

Will Smith has lost his mind. He has gotten a little weird and twisted in recent years. I seriously think that he has a problem.

LaReina

Will knows that he can say whatever he likes, because anyone who criticizes him may be branded a racist.
That Scientology thingey is going real well, isn't it, Will?

Gerald Ford

I like turtles.

AJE

Another dumb celebrity. Writers strike be over soon so these nitwits have something to say.

Annyk

Just because you're a popular movie star doesn't insure an intelligent brain.

Alex

Willie Willie Willie hanging out with Crazy Tom way to much, sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut and don't say anything at all especially when you don't know what the heck you are talking about

duh

Yes and southern KKK members in the '50's "did not wake up thinking they would do evil," before burning crosses and hanging blacks from trees...." Right Will? Why don't you try sticking to talking about your (bad) acting.

just curious

So now actors cannot even have freedom of speech without the threat of a movie "having nothing to do with the comment" removed from theaters? Dumbest thing I have ever heard of! The comment was not even that bad. He never said Hitler was a good guy. I think he was leading towards the fact that he was disturbed.

Angie

Will Smith isn't all bad... but those comments are not only ignorant but idiotic. What kind of hullabaloo would be going on if a big male actor made a comment about how "The KKK isn't all bad. They are only going what they think is 'good.'"

If Imus got fired for "nappy headed ho's" then following the same logic they should euthanize Will Smith because his comments were not said in jest. I am incredibly offended and doubt I will encourage anyone I know to go to see I Am Legend.

Wowza

Um, Wow. Just Wow...and I am Legend sucked.

whatever

Read what he said and don't jump to bad conclusions. He didn't say Hitler wasn't bad or evil. He said that Hitler didn't think he was necessarily doing evil things. Hitler very well may have, and according to many records, did believe he was doing something 'good.' Hitler was the warped one, Will was making a good point about an evil leader not necessarily thinking they were doing evil. Kinda reminds me of Bush. You think he thinks he has done anything wrong??

Lynne

Again,we build these celebrities up until they basically think they'r Gods. They're just human beings capable of saying stupid things I'm Jewish...do think Will Smith meant to say Hitler wa a good guy? NO. Everyone needs to calm down.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments