Brad Renfro Had a Son -- Who Knew?

1/22/2008 1:12 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brad RenfroTMZ has confirmed that Brad Renfro had a young son who lives in Japan with his mom -- and the family is trying to keep details about the boy under wraps.

TMZ spoke with Renfro's dad, Mark, and his step-mom, Kim, who would not reveal their grandson's name or age in order to protect his privacy. They placed an obit in a local paper that simply listed his name as "Y Renfro."

Kim told us, "We did expect this because people didn't know he had a son. But we're very thankful Brad got to see his son before he died."

Brad was recently in Tennessee with the boy, spending time with the family.

A source close to Renfro, who spent a lot of time with the actor in the months before his death, tells TMZ she didn't know he had a child.

CK

Bottom line, if we continue to expand on the fact that the story might have been hastily written resulting in grammer errors, rather than the fact that it shouldn't have been published at all, then we are taking teh focus off of the real matter... that a young boy whose life just suffered a great tragedy just got more difficult and TMZ thought it was so hard-hitting, that they needed to overlook this child's best interest and publish the damn thing anyway.

just wondering

...hahaha...LEAVE CK ALONE!!!!..

CK

Oy Chris Crocker! It's not Britney Bitch, but thanks! :)

megh

lol Adrienne I already apologized to CK. He made a point.

megh

Blurgle

Grammar, CK: not grammer. Since you spelled it wrong in three places, I'm guessing it's not a typo.

And "storey" is a perfectly good word, which is why spellcheck wouldn't catch it. It's wrong in this meaning, but it's not a non-existent word.

tracey

That's really too bad he won't see his son grow up and his son won't remember much about his Dad.

I'm Just Sayin'...

With all due respect CK (and I'm not trying to pick on you ) but I disagree with you. While I realize this is a public forum, it does not excuse spelling mistakes. There is a difference between a spelling mistake and a typo...and as one who loves to peruse the comments that people post, it is quite appalling how ignorant many people sound due to idiotic spelling. As for the grammar comment, I do apologize- TMZ had corrected it which is why I never saw it. As for your final comment regarding the child, you are most certainly right in that respect.

just wondering

...Spell Checker....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....guess you are the type that has to have the last word!...RELAX and just read!!!

Krista

Damn, and I was going to marry him....

Mrs Joe Jackson

So.......... keeping it under wraps means yapping about it..TMZ has hit a new low... for today.
Screw the spell check... check your ethics.

I'm Just Sayin'...

# 35

Guess you are the type that likes to hop on the bandwagon. Per CK's request, I was apologizing because I had misinterpreted/misunderstood his/her comment. I was also toning down my initial response and explaining why I felt the need to comment. Finally, I ended up by agreeing with CK in that children should not be exploited for the sake of "scooping" a story and having a sensational headline.

How has TMZ hit a new low?? Brad had a child. If he wanted it to be a secret, he shouldn't have OD'd and killed himself. If he didn't want anyone to know about the child, then you should have used a rubber or some form of birth control so conception didn't happen in the first place. His parents should not have included the child's alias in the newspaper obit if it was so secret. TMZ is just reporting the news, and the facts.

Specailk007

I'm not completely suprised that he had a child. In fact I always wondered, becuase he's always been a good looking guy and he just seems to have gotten mixed up in the wrong sort of stuff most of his life, despite his success. If anything, I think he's done the BEST POSSIBLE THING by keeping his child anonymous and the family refusing to say anything about their grandson. Too many people go way overboard when they become infatuated with stars and I could see people going so far as to stalking the child, or maybe even kidnapping. Good for him, but it is sad. At least his son did at least get to see his dad before his untimely death.

Specailk007

just to note becuase I noticed #38 post said something along the lines about using birth control. I don't think its fair for anyone to speculate what did or did not happen. You could be right that nothing was used etc OR there could have been birth control in use, but not effective clearly. I speak from experience. My Husband and I used birth control x2 and we still ended up preggers. It sometimes just happens. Very rare of course, but I can say proudly even that I'm part of that 1%-0.01% of people who have become preggers even with birth control.

Despite that, the family could have had their own reasons as to include a "secret ID" for this grandson of theirs, I'm sure the kid will have questions about his dad when he's older and will want to know about things, so I wouldn't be suprised if they did that because they were going to send the obituary they had printed to the little tike and his mother. Sometimes people do that to help with closure for others.

Lanie

I am soooo freaking sad about his death still and it's been a week. He died too young and from the looks of his myspace - he surrounded himself by losers. People have even posted videos of him drunk -- which were shoot within the last year. He should NOT have been drinking or drunk, as a recovering alcoholic.

His friends failed him in life --- by egging him on to drink & they are failing him in death by posting that crap.

He needed help and support.. but hollywood hanger-on's, users and abusers wanted to use this man until the end. It's absolutely tragic.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments