Ledger's Death Doesn't Look Like Suicide

1/23/2008 11:07 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Multiple sources in the NYPD tell TMZ, although it's too early to know, it's looking like Heath Ledger's death was accidental and not suicide.

There have been numerous reports suggesting that Ledger took his own life by ingesting a boatload of pills. Contrary to initial reports, the pills that were "scattered" around Ledger's apartment were actually in containers. We're told the containers were not littering the apartment. Rather, some were in the medicine cabinet and some in other rooms. As we reported, one container was on Ledger's nightstand. Cops found sleeping pills and an anti-anxiety drug in the bedroom.

A rep for the family tells TMZ that detectives have been in touch with Ledger's next of kin and the cops told them that so far there is no evidence suggesting suicide. Of course, until the toxicology reports come in, no one knows for sure.

A well-connected source in the NYPD told us this morning the "operating theory" right now within the department is that it was an accidental death, not suicide.

It's unclear if Ledger's health was a factor. As we first reported, he had pneumonia at the time of his death.

learn

If anything, people need to learn from his mistake....

Diane

This is just so sad...and for all of you who come on just to leave negative comments...please don't bother us with your negativity, just move on, read something else instead of leaving the comments that you do because it's a disgrace to all of us that want to leave a positive note to have to read your trash (like yours VLad). There's no doubt that this was an accident and I don't think all the negative reporting is necessary without the cold, hard facts. TMZ, this is a good site but sometimes your desire to be the first to report breaking news as was the case yesterday, leaves readers with the wrong information...shame on you!!! To the family and friends of Heath...may GOD be with you at this tragic time in your lives.

Lori2U

I'm glad it doesn't look like a suicide...

Debbie

To those posting negative comments...........you need to take a look at your own lives and I am sure that somewhere from the time you were born until this very moment...........YOU HAVE NOT BEEN PERFECT! Therefore you are certainly not in a position to judge and ridicule others!!!

LOVINPETER

I just read that Fred Phelps is going to try to pickett his funeral. I just wish we could all leave them to mourn in peace. Poor Michelle. She has a tough long road ahead of her and I hope she is in all of your prayers along with his Daughter Matilda, and his family back home.

ME

It's hard to feel sorry for him. He had everything and lost it. I'd be surprised if he just died of pneumonia. It had to be something like he took too many sleeping pills. How stupid do you have to be to not read the warning labels on a pill bottle? If he loved his daughter as much as people claim he wouldn't have been so stupid.

Taffy Titz

He was a cocaine and heroin addict, it was just a matter of time until this happened!

Why's there so much interest in this? If you live in a big city you can bet that someone in your street is a coke snorting smack head with weeks to live. He's nothing special.

1111111

I THINK HE WAS JET LAGGED AND NEEDED TO SLEEP AND TOOK TO MUCH!

Michelle

I really didn't think it was a suicide to begin with. But it's stil la tragic loss. And Vlad? Stop beinga jack ass. We could care less that you don't care. Be respectful of the dead, you moron. Read up on it before you call him a junkie. I have anti-anxiety and sleeping pills, so that makes me a junkie? Nope. Just restless and can't sleep. Go back to the rock you crawled out from under and let these people mourn. Jerk.

Erica

"Doesn't Look Like".....this is so stupid. Why doesn't TMZ.com wait for the autopsy and then post an accurate report. What happened to intergrity in journalism???

Mhenad

Even if he was going through a lot in his life and he chose to commit suicide, it's not up to us to judge him. Any member of any one of our families could be a junkie and we wouldn't even know it if they were careful and they hid it well. Respect the man. Respect his family. Respect death. It scares me that there are vicious people like you who are allowed to roam this planet. It's loons like you who become rapists and murderers.

Mhenad

Some of you have no appreciation for life at all... Respect death.

MGS

I wish the best for his family and daughter. He was one of my favorite actors. I pray that God takes him with open arms, I know he is in good hands. Hard to believe he was my age. Makes you realize that life is truly short!

blablabla

While Heath may not have been a "junkie" and hadn't intended to commit suicide, the fact is he was clearly troubled
- pneumonia is not to be taken lightly, it's brought on by exhaustion -- mental and physical
- the reports say he was found with both prescription and non-prescription pills. I doubt very much that when the doctor prescribed his pills he would have said "it's ok to mix and match". Whether he wanted to kill himself or not, when people start "supplementing" their medicines it IS a warning
- he did have drug issues (YES he had them -- he was in rehab and it was one of the reasons for the divorce)
- where was his network of friends and family? THIS is the only thing that helps an individual get through trying times

Lesson to us all
- who do YOU know (faminly, friends) who are isolated, troubled, sick, have had trouble with substance abuse, have had major upheaval in their lives
- LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE THERE FOR THEM AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM AND THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE WITH THEM IN IT!!!!!

NYC4EVER

Tragic, my condolences to his family. On another note, what are the odds that Britney will do something "crazy" just because the media is no longer focusing on her right now???? My money is on by later today!