Ledger's Death Doesn't Look Like Suicide

1/23/2008 11:07 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Multiple sources in the NYPD tell TMZ, although it's too early to know, it's looking like Heath Ledger's death was accidental and not suicide.

There have been numerous reports suggesting that Ledger took his own life by ingesting a boatload of pills. Contrary to initial reports, the pills that were "scattered" around Ledger's apartment were actually in containers. We're told the containers were not littering the apartment. Rather, some were in the medicine cabinet and some in other rooms. As we reported, one container was on Ledger's nightstand. Cops found sleeping pills and an anti-anxiety drug in the bedroom.

A rep for the family tells TMZ that detectives have been in touch with Ledger's next of kin and the cops told them that so far there is no evidence suggesting suicide. Of course, until the toxicology reports come in, no one knows for sure.

A well-connected source in the NYPD told us this morning the "operating theory" right now within the department is that it was an accidental death, not suicide.

It's unclear if Ledger's health was a factor. As we first reported, he had pneumonia at the time of his death.

amom

to How can that be
first thing is to know the generic name of over the counter stuff READ the label
example diphenhydramin= benadryl
acetaminophen=tylenol ibuprophin=advil and motrin napproxen is aleve TELL the pharmacist when you are getting a prescription filled which over the counter meds you take or may take web md is a good source also go on to ask .com and write in the medication and ask it if there are any drug interactions or adverse drug combinaations most healthcare pros WANT you to ask its why we went to school because unless you are making the big bucks you do it because it is your calling

Georgia Mae

That is a shame. I cannot wait to see the movie where he play The JOker. That movie look interesting. My condolences go to his family and friends.
Georgia Mae

Angelina

Anyone who is open-minded enough to watch Brokeback Mountain should see it isn't a "Gay Cowboy movie" but a touching love story of unattainable love. I cry every time I watch it and I will always remember his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar as one of the most touching roles of all time.

amom

who is fred phelps?

Trisha

People die for all kinds of reasons! Please let the rude comments go. The man did have family&friends and they are probably grieving (which is difficult with such a young life). People who make stupid comments, I just want you to feel the families pain for awhile and you change your tune fast.

The is nothing I can say to family & friends of Mr. Ledger that will make you feel any better. I am just so sorry.

eugine

Heath!
You live forever with us in your movies and many,many people remembers.I respect You.
Rest In Peace.

sammi

AHHHHHHHHHHH Taffi Titz You are so right I'm secretly gay!!!!!!!! (cough cough) I have 6 count them- 6 girls ages 24-5 I have been happily married forever and intend to stay that way but you outed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been hiding my gay secret from my husband and 6 children for over 26 YEARS! You may not be physically dead but you might want to have a Dr. check for brain activity LUV YA Sammi

sammi

To Angelina WELL SAID I couln't agree more. I also cry everytime I wacth the movie. trouble is there are tooooooo many people out there don't even have minds or FEELINGS HEy #107 please read my comment #68

jessica

He might have done some cocaine and then took sleeping pills to sleep and needed a lot.
This is something people do often and they should be careful and learn from this. It could have happened to anyone. How sad

sammi

Sorry #107 Now i'm #67 Please read if you get a chance it was posted by sammi-me

sammi

VLAD, ME, and Taffi Titz couldn't stand the heat or hearing the truth

Brittany

I heard somewhere that playing the Joker, for the upcoming Batman movie, was so disturbing to him that he was having trouble sleeping. He'd had the sleeping pills prescribed, but they weren't working. That sort of stress is probably what caused him to accidentally ingest too many.
Just one of numerous theories - but I'd like to think that he didn't try to commit suicide during one of the most intense roles of his career.

Sassy & Cute

Ok... next please. This is old news. Get over it.

collegegirl

All of you who say the autopsy will show whether or not he committed suicide-
the autopsy will show that he died from too much of a certain drug, drug interactions, etc. The autopsy CANNOT differentiate between whether or not he intended to kill himself or whether the overdose was accidental.
And thus we will never know. Not all suicide victims leave a note, and not everyone displays warning signs ahead of time.

Furthermore, "he wasn't that kind of a person..."- there is no "kind" of person who commits suicide. While statistically some genders or ethnicities are more likely than others to commit suicide, suicide is observed across all religious, racial, socioeconomic, education/income level, etc lines. Suicide is not an indicator of a person's self-worth or of what kind of a person they were. It is the action of someone with an untreated mental health disorder who unfortunately felt that suicide was the only option available to them.
Whether Heath Ledger killed himself or accidentally overdosed, it doesn't matter. He's gone. But if it was the former, rather than the latter, it doesn't make him evil, selfish, bad or anything...it just makes the whole thing even more tragic.

paying hommage

Does anyone know whether or not he had to lose any weight to play the JOKER. We all know that the weight actors lose in a short time is nothing less than incredible. That coupled with pnemonia, sleep deprevation and anxiety are enough to drive anyone a little batty. Maybe the stress on his body alone killed him, who knows. He was going throuh a break-up, directing a movie, starring in a movie and had just finished a movie. Some of us can't do more than one task at a time without getting over-anxious. He had more potential than any of the new up and coming actors, every performance as good if not better than the next. All the papparazzi and media do is look at the negative, pay him tribute and give his family time to get over the tragedy that has hit hollywood and everyone else who had a passion for film and great acting.
Heath Ledger had a smile that shone to his soul. We lost a great talent and a genuinely great man.