Suicide at Mel's Place

3/19/2008 8:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ a construction worker committed suicide at one of Mel Gibson's homes today.

It happened at Mel's Agoura Hills home -- near Malibu. The construction worker was 48-years-old. We're told he hanged himself. The body was found by the job site foreman.

The Sheriff's substation in Lost Hills took the call at 8:07 AM -- that's the same station where Mel was taken after his DUI arrest in 2006.

Mel was not at the house when the body was discovered. A law enforcement source says no one from Gibson's family was living at the house -- it is currently under heavy construction.

The house is less than a mile from his church -- The Holy Family Catholic Church -- where Mel's daughter was married back in September, 2006.

Mel has never lived on the compound.

UPDATE
: Law enforcement sources say the body was found hanging in the addition to the home that was being built and was in "full-body rigor mortis" and the hanging could have occurred last night.

Story developing ...

J9

I did it for you Damien, all for you!

LeeLee

What a selfish jerk for doing it at someone else's house. Now the Gibson's will forever know that someone killed himself at their home. Yuck.

Rico

I think the guy died from an accident, not suicide. He was probably standing on a ladder with a corded power tool in his hand, and Mel probably popped his drunken head out a window and yelled "FREEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMM!!!" and the guy got surprised and fell and accidentally hunged himself with the power cord. Mel is just trying to cover it up by calling it a suicide, with the help of his corrupt sherrif deputy drinking buddies. Corrupt crooked bastards.

FlBiker

If you hang one contractor early in the project, maybe the others will come in on time and under budget.

gullibleminions

Albert you have been officially chastised. ouch!

Alexa

If they find that Mel was counceling him, they'd probably be able to sue.

ANONYMOUS

Mel stay away from britney,She leaves her bad luck on everyone she hang with.

sickofperverts

Pictures are HUNG...People are HANGED

Cammie

Why didn't he have the guts to do it on his own property as this was terribly unfair to Mel Gibson and his Family!

Important to understand.... When we commit suicide, our soul lessons begin (again) from Point A in the next life. No matter how challenging this life, suicide is never the answer. For those with substance abuse issues, get professional help as many suicides take place under the long-term influence of illegal and/or legal pharmaceutical drugs.

Our country's economic issues are more serious than most people realize right now, and it's important to remember in the times ahead that money is never a reason to take one's own life....that happened a lot in the 1920s Stock Market Crash.

rachel

CNN asks for comments and then censors them
I feel more freedom of expression on TMZ

Lana

Mel is Great! Love him! Fantastic actor and amazing director. Unfortunately not much seen since 2006....

Lenn K.

#24 Rico, I got a damn good laugh!

Annoyed

HANGED is correct......Hung: used as follows....when you want to know if a guy is well hung...get it!!!???

Allred Tree

How do they know it was suicide? Was there a note?

LIFE IS LIFE

Stab with dread and pain
I'm awaken in the mist of horror, within the darkest hour
As shadows of death bleeds through wall of sorrow
They touch the darken soul, daze without care, in seeing a tomorrow

I sway along to their melody of inhuman cries, as I'm fed the Serpent of Wrath
Its obscurity and rage rush through my dried vein
Leaving the sweet sinful taste of hate
That skin slither the Garden of Eden, devouring its precious forbidden apples

Rebirth I feel, into this meaningless existence, I twist its balance
For I'm crowned as its dark Queen, as Chaos is my demon King
These mindless mortals shall bow and serve
Living in their most unpleasant dream, as they dances within the bloody stream.

I welcome all into my kingdom of torment
Faces fill with lies
Where darkness live in disguise