Wesley Gets Three Years!!!

4/24/2008 6:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wesley SnipesA judge has just sentenced Wesley Snipes to three years in prison for tax evasion. Forget black -- always bet on the U.S. government!

Snipes was not forced to surrender immediately. Instead, the judge ruled he could surrender at a later date, closer to his New Jersey home.

Nathan J. Hochman, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division, said, "Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him and his co-defendants ... as inmates in prison."

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor charges for not filing his taxes. The government claimed he owed $2.7 mil -- but Snipes' attorneys argued it was just $228,000. No fine was imposed, but the three-year sentence was the max he could have gotten.

Celebrity friends Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson wrote letters in his defense to appeal for leniency. Oh well ...

mike

GIVE ME A BREAK 3 YRS I OWED THEM 335 BUCKS FOR A MONTH AND THEY PUT A LEAN ON MY PROPERTY, HE BLAMES OTHERS FOR HIS IGNORANCE GIVE ME A BREAK WHAREVER HAPPENED TO TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS

Jason Ur

I Love all you people that say he got what he deserves and he broke law, when all of you sheep have no clue that INCOME TAX IS ILLEGAL!!!! no one has to pay income tax it is against the constitution... I dare anyone to find the law that says you have to pay taxes... You dont... there is no law... Its a scam... This Is Not A conspiracy Theory It Is A Fact and I cam prove it... Just check my blog on my myspace pace named WELCOME TO THE DEATH OF AMERICA!!!! and the video will prove outright you are all being stolen from by the us goverment... ron paul was the only canidate running that was gonna do away with the irs and the income tax but you are all so programmed to believe you have to pay it that you all laughed at him like he was crazy... Not one penny of your income tax is used to run the goverment... thats a fact... it is not needed it is not legal and wesley snipes broke no laws... EDUCATE YOURSELVES AND TAKE BACK YOUR MONEY AND YOUR GOVERMENT... check the blog out on my page... www.myspace.com/jasonur blog is in the upper right hand box and is called Welcome to the death of america... You'll be glad you did, and spread the word... stop the corruption...

OCD

Personally, I think 3 years federal time for tax evasion is a bit excessive. If it is money the feds want, then take his possessions and make him repay them immediately. Remember, 3 years is 3 years for the feds. You don't serve 1/3 and then get out.

Repayment, garnishment for shortfalls and tight probation, which would include oversight on his financial records, dealings and his travel is going to get the point across.

Bunny Pembridge

You need to show Scottland Morris..The US attorney. That dude is hot. Forget about all these dumb actors, that guy has a brain.

Jason Ur

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELVES AND QUIT BEING SHEEP!!!! INCOME TAX IS ILLEGALLLLL AND IT IS NOT USED TO RUN THE GOVERMENT!!! 0% of income tax goes to run the goverment... it goes 100% into the pockets of private bankers as interest payments on printed paper... worthless paper... It is illegal... you roads are paved in gas taxes, your schools are run on property taxes... your poliice are run on property taxes... INCOME TAX IS ILLEGAL AND IS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY TO RUN THE GOVERMENT!!!! And I'll prove it... READ MY BLOG in the upper right hand corner titled Welcome to the death of america on my myspace page, www.myspace.com/jasonur

Ken

Anyone who has been technical crew for this a-hole's films is falling off their chair laughing! Karma will kill ya!

Jemima

This is nonsense. OJ is still lurking around hoping to get on reality t.v. and Snipes is supposed to sit in jail for 3 years.!!!? From what I understand he just wasn't paying enough attention to his business people. True, he should pay his taxes and probably a hefty fine but sitting in Jail is harsh. We read enough about the substance abusers, Dui's etc. I've never seen negative press about this actor. Unfortunate.....

littlestich

Yet's see - its costs taxpayers about $100,000 per inmate. He got 3 years, so congratulations, we are shelling out $300,000 to put dangerous Wesley Snipes away. I mean the man in is a MENACE. No criminal records, no drug use, no prostitutes hanging around...heck, not even a DUI.

Heaven forbid, you garnish his future earnings to pay to debt and maybe add on some fines. OR have him do community service to pay back the debt to society. NO - let's put this dangerous criminal away! It's not like our prisons are overcrowded! Did you know that 1% of our population is in jail? Seriously.

I'm just glad people like Lindsay Lohan are free to drink and drive...or Paris Hilton and her boyfriend who ran someone over AGAIN are free. Human life means nothing, but MONEY - that's worth some jail time.

It's a proud day, America. People are being raped, murdered, and robbed - but thank god we are putting our feet down and sending that sicko away. I will sleep better tonight.

.....

Please forgive give me lack of knowledge. I had absolutely no idea that income tax was illegal. This is the first i have ever heard of it. How can one be put in jail for not paying it if it is illegal? Also, how can I stop my employer from deducting from my paycheck. I am serious and would very much like to learn more on this matter.

.....

Oops...i meant...Please forgive my lack of knowledge...

Kristie

are you all not comprehending that this went on for 15 yrs?

spogo

I am sure he wont serve a day of his sentence but if he does He deserves it, I work hard and I pay my taxes and i may make one onethousandth of what he makes, he can afford to pay his taxes. I am tired of the rich and famous getting off because they are rich and famous the rules apply to EVERYONE.

Betty Jane Haddock

Snipes is not a criminal....It is absurd to put him in prison over money!!!!!If this is the case just fine him .I can't believe in this country [USA] people are jailed over taxes????????

neko

HAHA! well said # 10. Thats the perfect comment.

Mr Socks

3 yrs in Club Fed, so he can share a room the Conrad Black??? Let him bust rocks for 3 yrs, or pick up garbage or clean public restrooms or something that shows him where the taxes that he should have paid would have went. I hope the IRS crawls up his butthole with a microscope. And make him where a sign or print on his clothing "Tax Evader". And when he dies and can hang out with Leona Helmsley....