Johnny Depp Stimulates ... Local Economy

4/29/2008 12:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Johnny DeppJohnny Depp is doing what the president can't -- saving the economy one location at a time!

While filming his new film "Public Enemies" in Oshkosh, Wisc., Johnny's eating and drinking habits did more for the area's financial outlook than any reduction in interest rates. Depp and his pals -- who were staying at a hotel in nearby Appleton -- recently dropped a $1,500 tip on a $2,600 dinner at a local restaurant and that has residents saying, "Johnny Depp is welcome here anytime." Hillary & Obama, who?

The Michael Mann directed film filmed in -- and pumped cash into -- various parts of Wisconsin and Illinois, leaving a trail of very happy townies. See, Hollywood ain't all bad.

Lisa

Gee I wish Johnny would come to the golf course where I bartend/wait and leave me a tip like that!

Robbie

I'm not a movie-goer, and know little about the stars, but I just became a big Johnny Depp fan! Not just because he shares the wealth with as many people as he can, but because he appreciates his fans, understands that they made him what he is, and gives back, not just money, but his time and friendship. To work a long day, then stand around signing autographs and posing for pictures, says a lot about his character. No wonder we rarely hear anything about him: he's too busy being nice, to get his name in the news. I'm sure there are others who are just as quiet about giving of themselves, and I would love to hear more about them than arrest reports, etc. I understand that Willie Nelson never leaves a concert until the last fan has had a chance to meet him. PLEASE: more stories like this!

Ramona

They were shooting in my neighborhood in Chicago a few weeks ago. The production company has been great about using local businesses as vendors. The mom and pop optical store across the street made 12 replicas of vintage glasses that Johnny wore in the movie. It was a big job for them and I thought it was nice that the producers used a business owned by a family ovr a chain or rather than farming the job out to an L.A. operation. They also filmed at a beautiful old theatre that is desperate for funds in my neighborhood. It seems everyone connected to the movie has been great to work with.

FlBiker

Better than Hillary's campaign, they leave unpaid debt wherever they go.....

Chris

No surprise there- Johnny Depp has always been very generous with his money.

To #26

Depp was also generous with his time, frequently ending his workday by greeting his fans. He's a real class act.

celebutaunter77

He can "stimulate my local economy" anytime!!!

Liz

Not only is he very nice looking (not to mention sexy) he is also very generous! I guess he remembers where he came from.

Can you see someone like Mariah doing this..................NO!! That is why Johnny Depp will be around a long time. Mariah, well her time is about UP!

What goes around will always come back around!

the wise old owl

I remember reading somewhere that Johnny's Mom was waitress. He knows how hard they work. His generosity in Hollywood for leaving BIG TIPS is nortorious. He has been known to leave a $ 100 tip for a bill that is only $25.00.

It's refreshing to hear when a celebrity treats the people who service them kindness and graditude instead of just EXPECTING IT. Michael Jordan , on the other hand, is very stingy. Waitresses RUN from him when he comes in the eat because they know they won't get a dime. Johnny Carson was the same way. I guess he felt the need to take his $$ with him. There is nothing worse than a MOOCH.

Townie?

Um, some of these cities are a lot bigger and more affluent than you are portraying on your site. I respect cynical humor, and laughs, but as a resident of south eastern WI, I speak for all of us when I say we are not a bunch of townies living in rusty shacks like the one you photoshoped in behind Depp. We have fantasitic Universities, museums, and many of us have plenty of money. We are intelligent, sophisticated people and even though the movie is a boost to some local economies, they would still thrive and remain strong without $1500 tips. If these areas were as rural and unrefined as you suggest in your blurb, no one would shoot a movie there, and no actor would eat there. Show wisconsin some love people.

Angelique

Johnny Depp come down to Louisiana I (we) need you to stimulate our economy. Damn he's sexy

su.san smith

Johnny is an classic act and always has been. This is just another story of hundreds about Johnny's good doings.

sandmans_gal

I live between Oshkosh & Appleton. Talk about a big deal! Out local newscasts were doing live shots from the shoot every day! Johhy really did breath some life not only to our economy here, but the entire Fox Cities! He is welcome back anytime!

sandmans_gal

Geez, I guess I can't type today...sorry for all the typing errors!

mar

i would expext nothing else from him, he is a class act. Ben Affleck is a great tipper, and I personally waited on Seal and his crew many years ago in Miami, and he was extremely generous as well.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments