"Gossip Girl" Fans: So Inappropriate!

5/1/2008 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Parents Television Council got pissed at the soap's racy "OMFG" ad campaign -- and now we kinda get why.

Spotted: The cast of the show getting completely surrounded by a group of tweenage girls ... not exactly the best audience for threesomes, drug abuse and underage drinking.

Not that we're ones to judge. xoxo, Gossip Girl.

Sandra D

The biggest losers in this picture???? The IDIOT parents who allow their children to watch Gossip Girl.

Standards are badly needed.

Oh, come on, Ann@10:45PM, your agenda is showing. Are you SURE it's for love, or is it sometimes for lust? Teens are teens across the board, irregardless of color. The teens on this show just do everything with a silver spoon and a trust account. Do you really think white America lives this way? One percent, maybe. That's why kids watch it. It's Dynasty for teens living in 675 to 1200 sq. ft., and half with divorced parents. Pffft. This show is just a convoluted teenage soap with money, and has situational story lines that show the consequences and fallout of their actions. It's slick and well done, and I've gotten caught up in an episode or two, and have been fully grown for quite some time. The OMFG was an ad campaign, sanctioned by the powers that be, and I'm not referring to the teens who act on the popular show.

mikki

Wow. #13 tried to come off as really smart...but you might want to go back to English class instead of posting on TMZ...irregardless is not a word.

Standards are badly needed.

Uh, gee, Mikki, you totally missed my point, didn't you? I caught the 'irregardless' but decided to post anyway, as it was the message that mattered. I'm a writer, but TMZ is hardly the place where people spellcheck like it's their thesis. Did you really think you were going to be marked on your comment? You are incorrect on top of your snarky, insecure comment. The consensus among references is that it is a blend of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words. Irregardless is primarily found in North America, most notably in Boston and surrounding areas. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, and was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary as originating from western Indiana. The word is widely disputed. Irregardless seems to be moving slowly in the direction of standardization. . Did that make you feel better to pick out the one piece of lint that I've just told you is NOT a piece of lint? Do your homework. Oh, and I wasn't trying to come off as anything, but you sure came off as mean.

Standards are badly needed.

Mikki shouldn't take a knife to a gun fight.

Tyquanna

This is today's youth for the most part. I'm not saying that every teen is living an adult life but this what we see every day. Teens are not growing up saying they want to be doctors and lawyers but they want to be rich and famous. Sex sells in this country. I'm 30 and I watch the show faithfully. I let my daughter watch the show who is 11yrs old. I wish I had shows like this one to offset the fun family shows I watched growing up. There are real world pressures out here I know someone who got pregnant in junior high school so my child needs to she how boys will approach her for sex. She needs to see how boys treat you after they get the sex. There are new drugs coming out all time so she needs to see how a so called friend could slip it into her soda because she is jealous of her. She needs to see teens studying to get into college because there is a world outside of the neighborhood. I want her to see the real world because it can be ugly out here.
Yes, I had my daughter while in college and I have a career now but my life could have turned out so different if I was not taken to certain areas and exposed to how people get by when they don't have an education and career. The solution is not to hide tweens and teens from these shows but to explain what they are watching to them and ask them questions. Now that I am in grad school I see life different because I don't have time to juggle friends, my family, and my career but I will find time for that show. It's better to watch tv then to live the life of the show in real life.

Catsclaw

Quite frankly, I'm pretty offended by the OMFG. I'm not super religious, but this ad just goes beyond what I think is appropriate. I boycotted the CW after they cancelled Veronica Mars. I boycotted UPN after Buffy left.

This ad has no class and I will never watch a show on this network.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2