Spitz Gets Soap-A-Doped by God Freaks

5/28/2008 2:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mark Spitz -- the guy who won seven swimming gold medals back at the 1972 Olympics -- says a freaky-weird soap company is killing him one bottle at a time, and he wants them to stop ... or at least pay him for it.

Spitz is PO'd because, he says in a lawsuit, he's mentioned in the same breath on the labels of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps as a bunch of guys like Jesus, Mohammed, Lenin, Carl Sagan, and Einstein -- all of whom are dead. Not only that, he says his name is being used to push the line of hippie soaps without his permission, and if the company's going to call him a prophet, which they do, he wants to see some, ahem, profit.

We put in a call to the company, and they tell us they'll give Spitz free soap for life and make a donation to the charity of his choice -- if he settles.

ozzman

SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!!!

Sasha

Dr, Bronner's soaps are the best ever made.

Mark Spitz: You should be honored to be associated with this natural, holistic product. Besides, who reads that crazy label anyway? Here's a clue: Go get a real life and a real job, and stop trying to sue these good soapmakers! Ya Bastard!

barnyard smell

SeniorBallisitc

I think Spitz owns his name, and should be asked/payed when it is used,
Even by a good company like Dr. Broners.

On another note, I want to send a big THANKYOU to Mark Spitz, whose
speedo'd body pushed me into puberty about 300 years ago. lol

restaurant management

He is a repectable dentist and buisness man, as well as great swimmer! He as every right to go after a company using his name without concent. Any one of us would do the same to protect our interests!!!

Qknowsbest

Yowza - he is still GORGEOUS!

Studly

I didn't know Mark Spitz ended up being a dentist, how cool.

Disgusted

I thought that was a picture of Mitt Romney! Ha!

Twizabeth

Well, I agree with Sasha. Dr. Bonner's soaps are absolutely amazing, but they should have his consent before using his name.

Josh

Go Spitz... Go... Hey Bronner, how dare to use other people names without their consent.

Give the man his money...

Don't settle for free Dr. bronner soap... they are so harsh anyway.

Lyn

I guess I will file suit on behalf of the artic owls that are mentioned in the same sentence, then I can look as ridiculous as he does. What's a matter Spitz your name isn't still in flashing lights?? Running out of money?? What???

Big Froggy

Spitz is not a dentist. He was scheduled to enroll at Indiana Dental School after the Munich Olympics, but with seven figures in endorsements he opted not to stick his hands in peoples' mouths. Don't feel sorry for Dr. Bronner's Soaps. This is the best publicity they've ever received.

Nicole

I THOUGHT THIS SMELLY POOT WAS DEAD. MARK BE HAPPY SOMEONE REMEMBERS YOUR NAME

Twinker

I thought Mark Spitz swallows.

restaurant management

HEY # 11 BIG FROGGY:" I would like to inform you that yes he is a dentist, Spitz was my dentist in Hawaii for years". Today he might not be working as a dentist, he has retired. My comment on protecting his name still stands.!!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments