Spitz Gets Soap-A-Doped by God Freaks

5/28/2008 2:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mark Spitz -- the guy who won seven swimming gold medals back at the 1972 Olympics -- says a freaky-weird soap company is killing him one bottle at a time, and he wants them to stop ... or at least pay him for it.

Spitz is PO'd because, he says in a lawsuit, he's mentioned in the same breath on the labels of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps as a bunch of guys like Jesus, Mohammed, Lenin, Carl Sagan, and Einstein -- all of whom are dead. Not only that, he says his name is being used to push the line of hippie soaps without his permission, and if the company's going to call him a prophet, which they do, he wants to see some, ahem, profit.

We put in a call to the company, and they tell us they'll give Spitz free soap for life and make a donation to the charity of his choice -- if he settles.

E

Gee, a bunch of personal attacks on Spitz with a bunch of endorsements of the product unfairly and illegally using his name -- and constant name-dropping of the product (guess I have amnesia) -- looks like is haunting the site. I don't know Mark Spitz, except by reputation, and have no stake in this, but this was so obvious I had to comment.

Ramona

"as a bunch of guys like Jesus, Mohammed, Lenin, Carl Sagan, and Einstein -- all of whom are dead."
JESUS IS NOT DEAD.

SeniorBallisitc

Ramona, you are right! He is in the kitchen, doing dishes.

Queen of Outer Space

Better Spitz than Spitzer if you're takin' lathering up.

I remember him with a mustache..yummy.

luvgoldens

They can use my name if they give me some soap, I LOVE their soap. If MS tried the peppermint liquid soap he'd wake up and be happy they are honoring him by mentioning him. They are not trying to use him to sell more soap, they are just a fun creative company.

sayanything

The last I checked, Jesus ROSE from the dead. Can't say that about Mohammed.

Good Example

I LOVE Dr. Brooner's Soaps. best stuff I have every used!

and if anyone has ever owned a bottle - you know how much crap is printed all over the label. I would need some Old Lady reading glasses to even catch mark Spitz name on there.

Does everything need to have a damn lawsuit about it?

beth

Dr. Bronner's rocks. Stuff is super concentrated, lasts forever.

yer mom's soo effin hot!!

oh god. not dr. bronner's! the communal rastaman myth goes, that if you rinse yer baby with it right after birth, and douse on some patchuli, it'll turn it blonde and blue eyed!

notamused

FTR-Jesus is NOT dead.

bronnersisawesome

Dr. Bronners is a wonderful company--they use recycled, sustainable ingredients and packaging and give TONS of their profits to charities. Spitz should be honored to be recognized by this company. But if he continues to be a "hippie hater", then why not take their offer? I assume they will take his name off the label, he gets free soap for life AND he gets money to his favorite charity! What is wrong with him? He wants the money for himself I bet! This guy is a whiner who wants the spotlight again.

See: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=afp-oly2008swimusaspitz&prov=afp&type=lgns

He just wants to get attention because Phelps is doing so well and is about to break all of his records. :P

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2