Sanjaya Doesn't Play Fair

6/2/2008 1:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sanjaya is trying to gouge poor, unsuspecting country fair folk.

The scene of the crime: The Richmond County Fair. They asked the hair-brained reject to sing. He demanded $8,000.

We're told at the same fair last year, Kimberly Caldwell and Paris Bennett raked in less than $5,000 -- and that's for the package.

So how do we know this? Fair officials called TMZ to ask if eight grand for Sanjaya was fair. We declined to comment on the phone.

Eight - grand is insane!

Jane

another idiot!

Joe Smiff

AAAAAAAAhahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa I'll pay him $100 to stay away.

jackschitt

Sanjaya should be paying the fair to perform. This 'guy' is talentless and annoying.

Ooooo Noooo!

TMZ got the story wrong -- they don;t want him to SING, they want him to be the new Geek in their freak show. I'll tell ya what.

AngieNicks

Um, kinda rude for a website to call a person "hair-brained." Untalented? Yes. But hitting below the belt to comment on his intelligence. Regardless if it's true or not.

Echo

lol
I love when TMZ makes me laugh out loud!

I wonder who thought it was a good idea in the first place to have him sing....

JennInDC

ACK! Is this Richmond County, Virginia??? They couldn't afford $8K! That's a podunk country bumpkin county! I drive through it on the way to my weekend place on the Chesapeake Bay! Don't know why they'd even want Sanjaya except for the little kids who may watch Idol. But the fair is fun, so go check it out!

DARK MEAT ONLY

I think that Sanjanya is worth 8,000 and more rupees. Thank you so very much. I love my compatriot.

rHIANNA

please this idol reject is just an embaraasment to human life form....he aint worth a penny............i'd hire k-fed over this untalented sissy!

Kevin

They should pay him the 8 grand to blow everyone, that is all he is good for.

?

I can't believe he would have done it for so cheap. Maybe he figured it was worth it so he could hook up with Chris Richardson again.

?

She is very beautiful. Stop making fun of her TMZ.

john taylor

It just shows how far his career has grown......County Fairs!!!
His 15 minutes is up!

deeelbee

Hey, Sanjaya is a professional now--Idol made his name known. He should be able to ask whatever he thinks his time is worth. Think--airfare, a soundman, maybe a lightman, a place to stay, security, etc...seems like $8k is reasonable. Kids love him--even Disney reportedly wanted him for a stint after Idol last year. Can he sing? Only so-so. But he IS an entertainer, and that is what the fair wanted--somone to entertain who draws a crowd.

deeelbee

Sanjaya is a professional. Idol made his name a household word. He is an entertainer and that is what county fairs are looking for--someone to entertain who draws crowds. His name will draw the young kids--the one subgroup of our population who still has expendable income. I think he is a so-so singer, but very entertaining.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments