Wiseguy Wants Lotto Whacked Over Scratch Snafu

6/17/2008 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The New York lottery might want to think about witness protection.

Vinny Vella - the guy who played Jimmy Petrille on "The Sopranos" -- wants to rub out the New York lotto for -- he claims -- shorting him out of a $5 million scratch-ticket payday. He says he had the right numbers on an "Extravaganza" lottery ticket -- two sevens -- but it turns out that the number was a 17.

Launch photoThe New York lottery tells us the vendor that prints the tickets had a "minor ink and printing problem" that affected about 5,000 tickets. They also say Vella's SOL -- they've got barcodes and other security precautions on the ticket that prove he's a loser.

Keepurheaduptj

No it really say 17 seventeen they just abbreviated as sevtn

The Big A

All parties should avoid the expense and bad publicity (especially the NY Lottery) --SPLIT the difference and give the man 2 1/2 million before taxes. This is a quick, sensible and inexpensive solution for the player--if this continues the lawyers will get most of the money--even if he wins a lawsuit.

LottoNYplayer

If you play lotto you know that there are number codes underneath, if you look at the large version of his ticket, the number 2 in 28 is rubbed off too hard just like the number 1 on 17... that is why the abreviation for 17 sevtn is printed under the number...while the 7 over the 5million is seven.

Sorry dude I know your pain though. I was playing the soliatre game it pretty much made me think I won 10G and i didn't win squat!

ro

That is pretty disappointing BUT right below the "7" it says seventeen so he should have known better. Give him another lottery ticket. That's all he deserves.

mcm

it says seventeen right under the number, so obviously it wasn't supposed to be a 7. He was on a hit show but is fighting for lottery winnings! seriously!?!?

Dr.DD

I goes down to da store and bada bing i gets this winning ticket and dhen somes wise guy tells me no win and i says I gots your winning ticket right here. no what I mean wise guy?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4