Roadie Rocks Out When Bassist Passes Out

7/3/2008 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A roadie for the Gin Blossoms got the opportunity of lifetime at Summerfest this week -- when bassist Bill Leen passed out cold during the last song of their set.

We're told the band finished the song with their new bassist while Bill just laid there -- and then the roadie came back out for the encore performance of "Follow You Down."

Not that far ...

LIFE IS LIFE

Never 1st.

billyboyhere

Those goofs are still around? I thought that whole Tempe scene went out in the mid to late 90's...guess some, like the bass player still want to party like its 1999. Did anyone get the guy medical or mental health help? Great for the Roadie, but passing out while on stage kind of went out with Janis Joplin. Of course, name one hit they have had besides the one listed and the one about Bus Stop and School yards. Thats right, they dont have any lately. They should be on the Carnvial tour not Summerfest.

Harpy_Lady

I can't believe ANYONE still pays money to see these idiots. i saw them when they had their first hit. It took half the song before any of us in my group even recognized the song they were playing. they had to keep starting and stopping because they kept messing up playing their OWN songs. They were too busy trying to look cool to actually do something silly like PLAY.

I'll bet the guy that passed out was the idiot that kept stopping to stick his lit cig into the end of his guitar and then start playing again. Absolute morons

ali

Passing out will always be around. Wonder if the roadie was in charge of the refreshments, also.

lol

being a roadie sucks....but being a roadie for the gin blossoms sucks even more. Poor guy. :(

Lisa

This is so great! Replace a drunken, drug-addicted, whatever-made-him-pass-out-cold-musician ---- By your own Roadie! Rock on Roadie!

david

hey jealousy!

billyboyhere

I saw these idiots open for, can you believe this, Dave Matthews and Neil Young----they seemed like a "fun" kind of sound and band at the time, but they were not in the same leauge as these two were...anyway, Matthews and Young keep reinventing themselves----these dopes still play the same what 2 or 3 songs they have?

Pathetic they let their bass player pass out, and he's still laying there when the roadie takes over....guess their priorities are in their pipes.

next president

WOW!!!!!!!!

A rock group member past out from doing drug,what a shocker.

Spell Check.

Behavior like that used to get you fired.

desertskies

Tempe scene?
Alice Cooper as well the Tubes (memba them?), are holding their heads in their hands thinking "when are you going away".
Those at the old Mason Jar are probably thinking the same.

In their words:
"Tell me do you think it'd be alright
If I could Just crash here tonight
AS you see I'm in no shape for drivin'
And any way I 've got no place to go

And you know it might not be that bad
You were the best I ever had
I hadn't blown the whole thing years ago
I might not be alone."

Gotta love irony.

Achy Breaky Heart comes to mind.

COMMANDER

If you are a roadie with a band it pays off to learn and play the music, it could pay off big time. As I remember Hattfield of METTALICA got burned onstage and a roadie was able to save the show by playing guitar while hattfiled just sang, talk about a promotion esp on one of their huge $$$ tour.

Maggie Star

I don't know why everyone automatically thinks this was drug or drink related. If your mother passed out, should we accuse her of over imbibing? These guys are have a tour schedule that is truly grueling!

ROCK ON BILL LEEN & THE GIN BLOSSOMS!!!

flowers for freddie

The Roadies name is Darryl Icard, not just a Roadie a Musician in his own right.

Michelle

Uh, hello... It was probably very hot there first of all. And the Tempe music scene is quite alive and well. You obviously don't follow music. None of you should be so quick to judge this band. I live here. I have seen them numerous times. They are still good and amazing and Tempe music is VERY alive and going strong.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments