Cindy C.'s Hubby Caught in Mile-High Suit

7/23/2008 7:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Whoever coined the term "friendly skies" hasn't read this lawsuit.
Read the docs
Rande Gerber, restaurateur hubby of Cindy Crawford, is being sued by a hotel management group over use of the word "sky." According to a lawsuit filed in L.A. Superior Court yesterday, Gerber helped Delta Airlines design a signature in-flight cocktail program called "Midnight Sky." Simple enough, right?

Here's the problem: Gerber agreed back in 2002 not to incorporate the word "sky" into any of his ventures in a settlement with the Morgans Hotel Group -- the people behind Skybar and Whiskey Sky. So now they're pissed that Gerber has gone and done it with the "Midnight Sky" program. Gerber's defense: He wasn't responsible for the naming and Delta already calls its frequent flier program "SkyMiles" and its in-flight mag "Sky Magazine." He says Delta should be free to call the program whatever it wants. And hello?? It's an airline.

Morgans is asking for damages in excess of $500,000.

CELEBS HAS NO COMMON SENSE OR DO THEY PAY IN FULL CASH

ANYTHING TO MAKE A DOLLAR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Weezer

Um, I think the word 'sky' belongs to everyone/no one ... holy cr@p, that's ridiculous...

hora

this is so stupid. it's just a word. besides, the word "sky" is way too common in names, no one can possibly trademark it or prohibit anyone to use it. its like jazz from transformers, in all his toys he is called "autobot jazz" because hasbro couldn't trademark a word as common as 'jazz'. morgans sucks

Buster

Third

Alanna

My poor sister. Her name is Sky. They're coming for her next.

william richard bradford

it sounds like a non-competitive agreement was signed
that basically limits his option after a corporate buyout.

especially if they were trade names involved.

bottom line, is the bar / club / hotel business is
suffering and are looking for a potential settlement.

let's face the fact that an airline using a portion of a name
for marketing, has NOT specifically and directly diminished
the plaintiff profits in an amount even remotely near that.

they will settle for attorneys fees and about $100 grand.......

Bettsie

Tmzer's I LIKE BLONDE GIRL'S NEW HAIRDO IN TELEMARKETING BOX ON TMZ. SHE LOOKS GREAT, YOU KNOW I'M JUST KIDDING AROUND WITH SOME OF MY REMARKS ABOUT PEOPLE I TOTALLY DON'T EVEN KNOW, ACTUALLY MY SISTER KNOWS YOU ALL A LOT BETTER THEN I. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK. I'M STILL UPSET ABOUT HARVEY LEVIN "THE LAWYER' AND HIS PRIVATE LIFE, I GUESS I'D BETTER CHILL MY CRUSH ON HARVEY.Be well people. Regards Judith

MrEKO

Its as bad as Apple wanting to trademark the letter "i"

Chris Y.

Morgan's wouldn't go after this if it was anyone else, but Gerber has it specifically outlined in his agreement not to do so (read it). $500k is enough to make a point.

Ava

That cracks me up that companies can stop people from using words from the English language in their businesses. It doesn't seem right or fair to me! Copyrighting simple words, what the hell!!!!!!!!!!