Freeman Not Ready for His Close Up After Wreck

8/4/2008 2:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Mississppi Highway Patrol has identified Freeman's passenger as Demaris Meyer. Freeman was driving Meyer's 1997 Nissan Maxima eastbound on Highway 32 when he ran off the edge of the road, flipping the car. We're told both were wearing seat belts at the time.

And get this -- an editor for a local Mississippi newspaper tells the AP when one looky-loo whipped out a cell phone at the scene of Morgan Freeman's accident and tried to snap a pic of the actor, Freeman joked, "no freebies, no freebies." Everyone's a journalist these days!

Cops say Freeman was coherent and talking to police and paramedics.

UPDATE: Freeman's rep confirms the actor broke his shoulder and arm, but expects him to make a "good" recovery.

Patrick

NanaShaye

Mr. Freeman and family are all in our prayers at this time.

thats right

a 97 nissan maxima? wtf?

Parents learn to entertain your own kids.

Hope all is well you Mr. Freeman and passenger

FlBiker

I thought he quit heroin?

Me

That is just sick that someone would try to take a picture of him while he is laying there injured! What is wrong with people!!!

As for his car...some celebs don't feel the need to flaunt their wealth.

nigwig

Old uncle tom hanging with the bros in the delta drinking whiskey

me

Get well Morgan! I love ya!

The car was a 1997?

Brian

MRS. Freeman will do worse than the car crash to him if there isn't a GOOD explanation as to who Demaris Meyer is & why she was in his car late at night.... 71 & still hounding?

nigwig

Free game, they'd take a pic in a Hollywood accident .

Sue

HEY TMZ! I THOUGHT TMZ STOOD FOR 'THIRTY MILE ZONE' AND THIS SITE WAS CREATED TO DEAL WITH THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN! THAT THIRY MILE ZONE (tmz) SO WHY RUN WTIH THIS MISSISSIPPI STORY?

DEB

OH NOOOOOO! GODSPEED MR. FREEMAN. ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MAN. WHAT AN AMAZING ACTOR AND HUMAN BEING. WISHING YOU THE BEST THERE MY FRIEND. THANKS FOR ALL THE MEMORIES............

HOLY CROCODILE

Watch what you say on here,ole capuccinno will scold you.Ole cappy be the POlice

nwa1fa

Mr. Freeman and his family are in our prayers. I suspect the passenger in the car with him was his grand-daughter and pray for her swift recovery also. I can't believe the stupidity of some of the comments posted commenting on "Uncle Tom" and the "age of his vehicle". I have met Mr. Freeman on several occasions and anyone that know's him knows he is just a regular guy. He does not "put on a show" or "look at what I've accomplished" and doesn't draw attention to himself. He is a very humble man who know's he's been blessed. Infact, a lot of people don't even know where he lives in Charleston, that he has no staff that wait on he or his family and that he gives annonymously to may causes throughout the state. I stated previously, that I will keep Mr. Freeman and his family in my prayers, but maybe I should be praying for the people that posted these previous ill-willed comments.

ecameron

You idiots, it says "Freeman was driving Meyer's 1997 Nissan Maxima", not his 1997 Maxima. Besides would it matter to you if that was the car he chose to buy? Would it make him a terrible actor, or would you stop going to see his movies? People are so shallow.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments