Freeman Not Ready for His Close Up After Wreck

8/4/2008 2:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Mississppi Highway Patrol has identified Freeman's passenger as Demaris Meyer. Freeman was driving Meyer's 1997 Nissan Maxima eastbound on Highway 32 when he ran off the edge of the road, flipping the car. We're told both were wearing seat belts at the time.

And get this -- an editor for a local Mississippi newspaper tells the AP when one looky-loo whipped out a cell phone at the scene of Morgan Freeman's accident and tried to snap a pic of the actor, Freeman joked, "no freebies, no freebies." Everyone's a journalist these days!

Cops say Freeman was coherent and talking to police and paramedics.

UPDATE: Freeman's rep confirms the actor broke his shoulder and arm, but expects him to make a "good" recovery.

jennifer

I love Mr. Freeman's work too.. but have to admit I'm curious about this Demaris Meyer he was with, and am hoping he has a good excuse. To the person who commented that it was probably his granddaughter... I found her pic on her facebook page.. and she does not look like a granddaughter. I could be wrong...

heffer

Why is everyone praying for God?

Didn't you watch Bruce Almighty? Morgan Freeman IS God.

ROTTWEILER

TOO BAD HE IS NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, I'D GLADLY VOTE FOR MR. FREEMAN. GET WELL! YOU ARE GREAT AND WE LOVE YOU.

C'dale

His car that he usually drives is a BMW 745i with no tinted windows. That is the car he usually goes around town in. He is the most down to earth person if you ever come to Clarksdale and get the chance to meet him! He hangs out at Ground Zero all the time esp. when blues festivals are going on. He is just another person there, no special treatment for him!

Ullis

Hi Mr Freeman and friend, I do hope you recover because you are one of the best actors in the world.

Sparky

The idea that people were crowding around the accident because they just had to get a look at a "movie star", and taking photos of him on their cell phones is so disgusting that it sort of leaves me gasping for air... What are they going to do with their photos? - show everybody that Mr. Freeman is their best friend? Do people even think before they do something that so invades a human being's privacy, particularly when they are helpless, in pain, and seriously injured?

Hillary C

Hope he is ok but for goodness sake - can' this guy afford a dermotologist to get those things off his face!

Hillary C

Rottweiller, He may as well run for president - he's as qualfied as that Democrat Zebra that's running.

lady godiva

I noticed in all of the news reports that they mention his Oscar win for Million Dollar Baby, but no mention of his Best Actor Oscar win for Driving Miss Daisy. Jeez, is the news media that clueless? I remember the night he and Jessica Tandy won their Oscars. Morgan Freeman is a great actor, and I wish him a speedy recovery. I watched the Bucket List twice -- what a great thespian!!

Eric

best wishes from hamburg/germany mr. freeman

cori

Why in the world is a chick who's bangin' Morgan Freeman driving a 1997 Nissan Maxima?!

extrakarma

Is it true he was cheating on his wife with this lady he was with? anybody know?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3