Eddie Murphy: One Day I'll Stand-Up Again!

8/7/2008 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After nearly destroying his legacy with gems like "Meet Dave," "Pluto Nash" and "Holy Man," former funnyman Eddie Murphy has given a glimmer of hope to those who still remember the days of bad red leather suits and Bill Cosby impersonations -- we're talkin' about a return to stand-up comedy!

Does this mean no "Meet Dave 2?"

Sandra

COOL!

droopydog

It's about damn time!

Jon

he would be better off doing comedy. Every movie he has released in the past 5-7 years has been crap. Meet Dave? Did that movie even make a $100,000?

Fred Garvin

What a lame story. Just some dumb ass pap parasiting after a celebrity. Why he ask Eddie about Morgan Freeman? Because he's black? So, Eddie should be buds with Morgan 'cause their bros? How stupid!

Turbo

I think it's just too-high expectations for his movies. I absolutely enjoyed "Holy Man". I watch it at least once a year. It did not deserve the harsh critique. I've watched "Pluto Nash" several times and it is what it is. Just a fun sci-fi type of movie. Now, having said that, i am surprised that he did not keep up with his Stand Up roots. This should be good for him.

Keepn Itreal

Getting back to his standup roots would be the best thing for him and his career. This would definitely be the best move for him considering his theatrical releases as of late. Norbit anyone!

Keepn Itreal

Pluto Nash what are you 18. Rent Eddy Murphy Raw and see what a real talent he used to be

Drew P. Drawers

Eddie's biggest problem is himself of course. Nearly every movie you see him in he's just being himself "playing" a so-called "character" (or a dozen of them.) Can he even act? "Trading Places" is about the only movie I've seen him do any kind of real acting in; he didn't just seem like Eddie Murphy shticking it up or being himself in a pantomime of what HE thinks might actually be taken seriously. I thought the Oscar-trawling role he played in "Dream Girls" was overblown crapola. Yeah Eddie, get back to those delirious days when you were actually really funny. That was a brilliant thing. Leave your overpriveleged egomania at the door and let someone guide the talent you have into something worthwhile. I'm pulling for ya fella!

sean

Is he going to get rid of that annoying whispery voice he's been using for the last several years? God, I hope so!

just me

I remember Eddie in the red leather suit and he was soooo HOTTT!

daddy o

I HOPE HE HAS FINISHED HIS BOMBING MISSION IN MOVIE MAKING. DOING SOME STAND UP MIGHT BRING HIM BACK.