"Egocentric" Edwards: I Was "99% Honest"

8/8/2008 5:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Edwards just issued the following statement about his admitted sexual affair:

"In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs. I recognized my mistake and I told my wife that I had a liaison with another woman, and I asked for her forgiveness. Although I was honest in every painful detail with my family, I did not tell the public. When a supermarket tabloid told a version of the story, I used the fact that the story contained many falsities to deny it. But being 99% honest is no longer enough."

And he goes on ...

"I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public. With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly. But that misconduct took place for a short period in 2006. It ended then. I am and have been willing to take any test necessary to establish the fact that I am not the father of any baby, and I am truly hopeful that a test will be done so this fact can be definitively established. I only know that the apparent father has said publicly that he is the father of the baby. I also have not been engaged in any activity of any description that requested, agreed to or supported payments of any kind to the woman or to the apparent father of the baby.

It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry. In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up - feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help.

I have given a complete interview on this matter and having done so, will have nothing more to say."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

AvaBardot

I used to think this ass hole was a good guy, karma's a bitch john!!!

cloe

I think I like him now. He's human. And not a sleazy politician.

Bird

I liked the statement for the most part, but I don't think it's going to go away the way he wants to do. I think the child is his and if he takes a test that will come out. He also didn't explain why he was in a hotel with the woman and the child two weeks ago. He doesn't have to, but if he didn't want to he shouldn't have addressed the child situation at all. And was that a black man they were claiming was the father? Does the child appear to be part black? Could they not find a white man to say he was the child's father?

dummy

S*IT HAPPENS, WHY SHOULD HE EXPLAIN HIMSELF TO US? HIS WIFE FORGAVE HIM. IT'S NOT OUR RIGHT TO PASS JUDGEMENT.

Susan

Being 99% honest is no longer enough? Who the hell is this guy tryin' to fool?? What a slimeball. I have a relative who knows him and apparently he's a HUGE egotist who does what he wants whenever he wants. Everyone else be damned. Now it's his turn. Hopefully his political career is ruined because I sure wouldn't trust him again. Why his wife is still with him is quite the mystery though.

sparkles

When you ran for president you talked about moral responsibilty ...your sins will always find you.

just wondering

Ouch !!! I actually feel bad for he and his immediate family, most men never get caught!...he should have known better...well this stress sure isn't going to help his poor wife!..Prayers for HER r needed people.

ChrisN

If it was a republican they would have jumped all over him, but just like Bill Clinton A free "it's his Business" pass is being given to him by the liberal media! He is an Immoral, lying piece of breathing trash. No surprise.

HOLY CROCODILE

Barack,don't bother to call. the only Vice I see is the Vise my wife has my nuts in.

rminva

What an arrogant ass "99% honest?" That's like being a "little pregnant!" Much like good ole Bill Clinton, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come out that this wasn't the first time.

Mr. Blue Vein

The "Thirty Mile Zone," a semi-autonomous, semi-literate nation known to the rest of the world as the Republic of Hasbeenistan.

lab

Never understand why president/candidates sexual 'issues' need to be talked about. EWWWWW.... not something I want to know about EVER!!!

Tangie

What I find particularly offensive and disgusting is him saying " I did it while my wife was in remission"

DB2008

What a Shame.........

NoCarolina

it was just a matter of time...people from North Carolina know him too well...he couldn't even carry the state he was a "senator" (and I use that term lightly) ....his wife forgave him and that's great, but don't be saying one thing and do another like you always have.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments