Bern Out -- Mac Dies at 50

8/9/2008 11:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Bernie Mac died this morning in Chicago after a long hospitalization from pneumonia.

Mac, whose real name is Bernard McCullough, passed away early this morning at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 50 years old.

His rep just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital. No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."

The day before he died, Mac's rep insisted he was stable, in no danger and expected to be released within the week, even though it was clear Mac was on his death bed.

greens

RIP,One of the funniest men in show biz.You will be missed.

csnoah

Shocked- he was getting better! Bernie, we'll miss you- you were great.

friends

Rest in Peace Bernie. May his family be comforted in this most difficult time

Ngooden

I am so sadden ! You will be missed and I will forever cherish the movie , "Life". My deepest sympathy.

debwe

we will miss you mr. bernie

jackie

This is such a great loss, a great man gone so soon after retiring.

csnoah

His show was right on about kids. We laughed our asses off.

IBN DAWIND

BEST COMEDIAN EVER LIVED. EVERYONE SAYS
I SOUND LIKE YOU WHEN IM JOKING AND I WILL FOREVER
CARRY YOUR VOICE, MAKING PEOPLE LAUGH LIKE YOU ALWAYS DID.
REST ON MR. MACK

MiNtYfReSh

I'm in such shock! That's so sad. My thoughts go out to his family.

Kim Addison-Yarbrough

When I clicked on the local obits in my paper on luine, I looked next to it, and it said BERNIE MAC! My eyes wwelled with tears, I could not belive it. Bernie- REST IN PEACE! You made so many people laugh!

Renee

This is very sad news...He will be really missed...R.I.P Bernie Mac

Angie "D"

This hurts oh so bad. Bernie Mac will be greatly missed. The ony comedian that could make me laugh for real.My heart goes out to his wife and daughter. Hang in there. His book tells how he really felt about you both. You were his life from what I read. You are both are in my prayers. God bless you

Angela

Baby Grl

I just heard about Bernie's death. My heart is really crushed right now. I was just talking aobut Bvernie all last week. (1) of my favorite jokes by Bernie is him explaining why black people use the word (Mother#@$%). He was & will always be my favorite comedian. Rest In Peace Bernie, Love Ya.

sara

wow, this is really sad. RIP .... :*(

Christie Gale...From Honduras the island of Roatan

You have our deepest sympathy.
Wish there was more we could do.
To help ease the pain and sorrow,
We know you are now going thru.

Time will heal the sorrow.
Loving memories you will always share.
Our hearts are going out to you today.
We want you to know ~ I care
R.I.P Bernie Mac..The best ever and will ever be.!!!!!!