Bern Out -- Mac Dies at 50

8/9/2008 11:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Bernie Mac died this morning in Chicago after a long hospitalization from pneumonia.

Mac, whose real name is Bernard McCullough, passed away early this morning at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 50 years old.

His rep just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital. No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."

The day before he died, Mac's rep insisted he was stable, in no danger and expected to be released within the week, even though it was clear Mac was on his death bed.

carlea07

An awesome comedian and entertainer. Bernie will truly be missed. May he RIP.

candy

I luved Bernie Mac and his show. So sorry to hear. What is it with Pneumonia?

It has taken alot a celebs? Are the stars just working themselves to death?

Poor Bernie...he caught alot of flak recently........

R.I.P.

joe lambert

BERINE MAC WILL BE MISS, HE WAS A TURE OLD SCHOOL PLAYER.

ding dang y'all

How sad, my prayers to his family.

New Mexico Gangaster

WE LoVE You Bernie! We will miss you! Thanks TMZ for being one of the first ones to know Yahoo didn't have sh!t.

Jenna

I would like to extend my condolences to Bernie Mac's family, for the loss of the beloved Bernie Mac... He was such a great
great actor and a wonderful, pleasant person, or so I was told... My grandfather died the same way -- complications of
Pneumonia, however my grandfather died at the age of 92. Bernie Mac was still practically a kid at the tender age of 50. I remember how I felt when my mother died at age 52, and how sad I felt b/c she was so very young and my whole adult life, I felt cheated. God love and keep Bernie Mac...

Attractive?

Wow......Life is truly short.
~Rest in Peace!

smith

R.I.P. Bernie Mac one of a kind....no one will ever compare

dirty white boy.

Terrible. Man I really liked him.

frst1011

Bernie,you made us laugh,I know you are in a better place,God Bless your family.

mtnew

This is sad news..another great comedian lost. Now he's making them laugh up in heaven.Rest in Peace Bernie, and God Be With Your Family And Friends....We'll Always Remember You!

sunniski

Probably the 100th OMG...BUT OMG...I am so very sorry to his family! I loved the Bernie Mac show. His grumblings about raising his sisters children on the show was hilarious. It is what most parents think from time to time he just says his thoughts outloud. This is tragic for his family, fans, and everyone in between. God Bless you Bernie Mac I hope you are feeling pain free now. XX OO

Frankie

Oh My God... I am just beside myself. He was so young. Thank you for ALL the laughs over the years.... may you rest in peace

SO SKANLESS

WE LOVE U BERNIE...REST IN PEACE

Hazel

We love you Bernie Mac! You're humour and TV show will always be remembered as being real and totally funny. R.i.P