Bern Out -- Mac Dies at 50

8/9/2008 11:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Bernie Mac died this morning in Chicago after a long hospitalization from pneumonia.

Mac, whose real name is Bernard McCullough, passed away early this morning at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 50 years old.

His rep just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital. No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."

The day before he died, Mac's rep insisted he was stable, in no danger and expected to be released within the week, even though it was clear Mac was on his death bed.

Im4Pacman

He will be missed. R.I.P., Bernie.

Mia

Awww this is totally SAD & SHOCKING!! May God give his family strength and peace for the early demise of an awesome family member.

New Mexico Gangaster

Thanks ,TMZ for the info first......Yahoo idn't have this posted I seen it here FIRST!........................ Very SAD News...............Bernie will be Missed (o_o)

mommy23

This is so sad my sister had gotten a text message a few days ago saying he had passed so I looked it up and they said that the rumors were untrue. However to hear again that he has passed and this time its true is even worse then before He was a great comedian and my deepest sympathies go out to his family

chroniCAvenger

damn.... sorry to see him go.

"ribs so good make you wanna SLAP!!! yo momma -one of the friday movies"

jackie

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I am so sad. Bernie Mac was one of the funniest people out there. He was like a big teddy bear and he made laughter contagious. He will be greatly missed! RIP Bernie!

roy

great entertainer.r.i.p .thank you for the laughs ovr the years my friend.

mhickers07

Bernie Mac and his family are in my thoughts and prayers at this time of need.God Bless! He is one of my favorite Comedians.....

Laura

I'm really shocked, so young.

Rest in Peace

Frankie

Oh My God..... I am so sad, as many others.

ATLSL

WE WILL CERTAINLY THIS ICON OF LAUGHTER WHO BROUGHT IT EVERYTIME HE STEP TO THE MIC!!!!!

LEC

Wow! I'm at a loss for words...Bernie Mac will be missed! Rest in peace, friend!

shortbody918

I cant believe this. The other day they said he was stable. My prayers are with the family. R.I.P. Bernie. We will miss you here in Chicago and all around the world.

jenni williams

so sad! my thoughts are with his friends and family!

dangimold

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends for their unexpected and sad loss of this very talented and beloved actor/comedian. He will be remembered by many.