TMZ Drinks

The 'Shawn Johnson'

Haterade

8/21/2008 7:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After getting hundreds of hate emails, phone calls, and rage-filled comments over the last 24 hours, we at TMZ finally took the hint -- not everybody found the Shawn Johnson/Topo Gigio comparison hilarious. Sure, we'll eat the crow you shoved down our throats -- but you gotta check out some of the messages we got in our "contact us" mailbox. We even got a letter from an official Team USA Gymnastics rep!

Launch emails
Yes, we got the message loud and clear, but make sure to click through to the final email -- the one that started this whole mess in the first place.

Meghan

BUT SHE DOES LOOK LIKE A RAT! CHIPMUNK IN FACT. I WAS JUST SAYING IT THE NIGHT SHE WON. I THOUGHT IT WAS CLASSIC TMZ. EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD JUST CHILL. I MEAN C'MON SHE IS SITTING ON A GOLD MEDAL!! DO YOU THINK SHE CARES!! HILARIOUS.

Kristen

This is stupid TMZ rocks
They even make fun of themselves. She isnt a soldier that has died for our country or fighting for us so we can be FREE.Freedom of speech,Freedom of press if she dont like it So WHAT. She might as well be a ballerina no more. She does this for herself just like every other SPORT. If they made fun the girl from china that looks like a twig you all would find it funny. This sport is done to see which country can exploint there teenagers best. They love this attention.
Get Lives People

OCD

An honest apology from TMZ to Shawn Johnson would be appropriate also.

aubrey swanson

I thought the post was totally cute. No offense should have been taken!

Blake Clement

man TMZ is the truth stop hating on them that girl does look like Topo Gigio TMZ you rock

from future Film Director Blake Clement

R.C.

Oh puleeeze, she does have a faint resemblance to Topo Gigio...who happens to be a mouse and not a rat. I can see the similarity with the smile. I bet you that Shawn Johnson might have a better sense of humor than some of the touchy-nervy people who complained. I thought it was a funny post. from RC inAustin, Texas

Chantelle

TMZ-
I am very saddened to see that you have stooped to this low. I have always enjoyed your website and gotten good laughs (at like Paris' expense! :-) ) but I think that this crossed the line. Shawn Johnson is a good kid that has made our country proud, she is not a loser like most other people on this website that deserve to be made fun of. I am sorry, but I too will be removing you from my favorites and never visiting this site again.

Very, very dissapointed.

Angel

Screw the masses, the Shawn Johnson/Topo Gigio thing was friggin hilarious! People need to lighten up and have a sense of humor. Who couldn't see that it was all in jest?

Eimski

So agree will all those who submitted comments - Britney and Lindsay fair game, this girl who has actually accomplished something is not. We should be praising her and i think she is beautiful. Well done Shawn!

Chelsea

Grow up everyone. They just said she looked like the little mouse, its not like they're saying something ridiculous like "She's a slut" or something. its not going to kill her or ruin her reputation. You're all over reacting.

anonymous

I am way more offended by the public outcry than by the pics themselves.. Ive seen way worse on TMZ, not to mention the other site with the Peepees drawn on the faces..

Its a CUTE mouse, not like a sewer rat!! I think its Specist to say its wrong to look like a cute lil mouse, and yet if they compared her to a kitten, itd be fine..

if she didnt LITERALLY look like the pic of gigio, that might be a lil insulting..

tee

you guys are rad. too bad so many butts are hurt here!

LG

This lack of apology is unfortunate. However, the biggest insult of it all is the "last email" that started it all. You feign contrition for your unfair treatment of this fine athlete (read: not celebrity) and then include that snide email as an insult to your readership who disagreed with your post. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

timz

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAARE YOU KIDDIN ME THIS IS HIGH LAR I OUS!!!! (she wipes a tear from her un mouse like face) HOW DID I MISS THIS!!

THIS WHOLE THING IS TOO FUNNY OH (sniff)!!

This little kid looks JUST like that mouse oh HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jay

You people kill me TMZ has done much worst than this. So what they said she looks like a rat. I don't hear or see all these comments when they do this to other people. And don't act like you have not looked or laughed at them when they talk about or say somebody looks like something crazy. Get of your high horse people. I'm sure that is not the worst thing she has heard in her life and it will not be the last. And do thell you the truth they were right on with it. She did look like the rat