IndyCar Driver/"Dancing" Champ Indicted

10/2/2008 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Helio Castroneves TMZ has learned that Helio Castroneves has been indicted for allegedly not paying taxes on more than $5 million. Castroneves was indicted today in Miami. The charges -- Conspiracy to Defraud the U.S. and Tax Evasion.

According to the indictment, Helio and two others are accused of using "an offshore Panamanian shell corporation Seven Promotions to conceal and disguise the true and correct amount of Helio Castroneves' income from the Internal Revenue Service."

Helio was indicted along with his sister, Katiucia Castroneves and Alan Miller, Helio's lawyer. The three are charged with conspiracy "for the purpose of impeding, impairing, obstructing, and defeating the lawful government functions of the Internal Revenue Service."

They are accused of trying to "conceal and disguise" Helio's income. One of the charges -- that Helio received $2 million in salary from a Brazilian trading company but made it appear that he only received $200,000.

The Conspiracy and Tax Evasion charges are each punishable by a maximum of 5 years in federal prison.

Castroneves is known to some as a race car driver, but recently gained wider fame by winning "Dancing with the Stars."

yer mom's soo effin hot!!

why don't you go shove a pint o guiness up yer chowder bowl, wench.

Hillary

Oooh I have to laugh at this...What a moron for thinking he could get away with this...As an Indy Racing fan I've never liked him..He's too stuck on himself, this story just shows he thought he was invisible...Awww poor little "Dancing Queen" lol

Democrats are evil

I am all for telling the government to "Bite Me" when it come to raping me from my hard earned income. Washington "NEVER" listens to the american people and now they want to spend 700 BILLION DOLLARS and continue to spend this money on the same programs that got us into this mess. Screw the government. Hide your money and don't pay your taxes. They act like the mafia threatening to jail you if you don't pay up. I say, Go Ahead you crooks, Make my day. And as for Helio, take the money and run baby. You've earned it!

tw

I liked the guy long before DWTS. I met him at the race track and had a quick visit. I can say I am truly disappointed if this is all true.

traxzippo

THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ALLOW DUAL CITENZENSHIP WHICH WE WILL GET RID OF WHEN MCAAIN BECOMES PRESIDENT. MAKE UP YOUR MIND AMERICAN OR FOREIGHN CHOOSE OR LOOSE.

JoanXdancer

As a non-american citizen, I did not think IRS law was applicable to him. Am so extremely sorry he is in trouble as he is very enchanting & fun guy who has it all. I wish him all the best!

tw

Thought he lived in Florida. There is no income tax down there is there?

ewww

Maybe Helio can be roommates with Wesley Snipes :)

larry

Looks like "Big Bruce" will have him a cellmate who can dance. Helio will be doing the split while on the floor on all fours with "Big Bruce" behind him and using him like a wheelbarrow. Dance Helio!

What Law

There is no law stating that you have to pay the federal income tax. Wages are not defined as "income". Only a corporation can have "income" under the definitions found in the tax code. Check out Aaron Russo's video for more-

Unless this guy is incorporated (I dunno- he might be) he's in the right.

don

is this guy related to Wesley Snipes?

anthony

let that be a warning to all........ the days of cheating on your taxes are over...... from the super wealthy to the hair stylist shops owners.... its really a shame since most of the time its a banking business advisor that leads wealthy clients into these off-shore tax shelters....and once the irs is on the individual.. there is nothing you can do or point the finger at anyone.... you will pay and serve time. the original off shore tax advisor has made his huge commision from diverting the millions and will not get punished.... the irs should also go after these tax shelter advisors.

Hung

GET THE MONEY AND DEPORT THE BASTARD THATS WHAT WE HAVE LIVING IN OUR COUNTRY PEOPLE WHO DONT REPSECT OUR GOVERNMENT !

tw

I bet Roger Penske is not a happy guy right now.

Thug Buster

I'll bet Penske, Honda and Target are really proud of him. What a fake bastard this guy has been. His sponsors shell out millions to give the guy a ride in Indy Car and he defrauds the US. Nice. Too bad we all can't call in and vote for the sentence he should receive.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments