IndyCar Driver/"Dancing" Champ Indicted

10/2/2008 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Helio Castroneves TMZ has learned that Helio Castroneves has been indicted for allegedly not paying taxes on more than $5 million. Castroneves was indicted today in Miami. The charges -- Conspiracy to Defraud the U.S. and Tax Evasion.

According to the indictment, Helio and two others are accused of using "an offshore Panamanian shell corporation Seven Promotions to conceal and disguise the true and correct amount of Helio Castroneves' income from the Internal Revenue Service."

Helio was indicted along with his sister, Katiucia Castroneves and Alan Miller, Helio's lawyer. The three are charged with conspiracy "for the purpose of impeding, impairing, obstructing, and defeating the lawful government functions of the Internal Revenue Service."

They are accused of trying to "conceal and disguise" Helio's income. One of the charges -- that Helio received $2 million in salary from a Brazilian trading company but made it appear that he only received $200,000.

The Conspiracy and Tax Evasion charges are each punishable by a maximum of 5 years in federal prison.

Castroneves is known to some as a race car driver, but recently gained wider fame by winning "Dancing with the Stars."

Jolly

Helio seems like a lovely person. I bet he wasn't aware of this and it was in the hands of his accountants. Give him the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are out.

AL GOREs VAGINA

GOV. SARAH PALIN -- "KICKED-ASS" !!!

Abdul

What a loser!!!!!!!!! I used to like Helio until he strated acting up with Julianne on DWTS. Granted, Julianne 's a big tease, but the dumb jack, dumped his fiancee for a teenager! Ali I hope you have a big smile on your face,cause I do. I hope he gets everything he deserves. Creepy jerk! P.S. Even though Julianne denys hooking up with Helio, I don"t believe her.

raidersfan

I guess it makes all the difference in the world on where you place the comma and the decimal point.

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

Palins winks were hysterical, she is just sooooooooooooooooo not even Governor material, BUT, with such a small population in Alaska, doesn't matter really.

C.Lee

Well they are trying to send Wesley Snipes to jail for the same thing, Will our justice system to the same for this cacaision man?

lindy

Oh my I really really liked him on the show... hope he pays up and gets off.....

working moms.... checkout this book for tips...BREAKFAST IS NOT SODA AND A BAG OF CHIPS....

Denise

Some americans SHOULD read MORE and learn about Brazil...I have never seen such lack of culture...

James

you people have nothing better too do then to make peoples Life i Livening hell i Hope and dream that someday that you all drop Dead that would be the funnest News To me .

kim

HE'S REALLY JUST TRYING TO START A CAREER IN POLITICS.

John

I always thought he was annoying on dancing with the stars, though I guess he seemed like a nice guy...hope the charges turn out to be untrue.

Matt

screw the IRS. they dont own people, the gestapo's extortion racket needs to be exposed for the fraud it is. its his own damn money, keep it away from the money grubbers in washington who just waste it bailing out billionaires on wall street. the money will be better spend by helio than those morons. i hope he fights them in court.

Kelli

He will do the best mambo in prison for sure!!

Gary

Is the guy an American? If he is not and the money was earned outside the US, why is this even an IRS issue?

worldly guesser

Do you think he will express in court the fact that there is no law saying that you have to pay taxes?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments